• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Toast Across America

Marito

Okay...been out of touch for a couple of weeks busy with work and lots of business travel (god I hate when work actually interferes with cigar pleasure). But thought I’d post a few on some of the recent smokes I have enjoyed. Burned the pair of 2004 Toast Across America cigars on 2 consecutive nights and both were really splendid. Both of these babies are 7 inches and I’m gonna guess at 48 ring gauge (any confirmation or correction here?). Some thoughts.

Diamond Crown Maximus Perfecto: This was a truly splendid smoke. Started out sweet and aromatically spicy. A mixture of honey, cinnamon, brown sugar. The first third was almost a little to mild for my taste but this stick kept improving the longer I smoked it. Toward the middle of the burn, the sweetness gave way to a spicier, peppery toasted nut flavor, though the sweetness was there in the background. The strength and spice of the cigar increased and improved the whole way to the nub. A true pleasure. I actually think this was better than an off-the-line DCM, but that’s probably all in my head as I sure the blend is the same. I smoked this pre-dinner in a hotel lobby bar in New Orleans, twinned with a few glasses of Zinfandel (don’t ask, I don’t remember) while chatting with a few other travelers. Very relaxing.

Opus X Perfecto: Awesome. I smoked this on the last day of a business trip to New Orleans, and a day that was completely free of work responsibilities. It was the 2nd of a 3 smoke day; the first being a post-lunch PAM Torpedo. I sparked the Opus post a huge New Orleans dinner and after a few bottles of red and more than a few cocktails. I twinned this with cherry Jell-O shots and fun colleagues at the Cat’s Meow karaoke bar on Bourbon (no, I did not sing). While the choice of alcohol may not have been exactly right, this cigar held its own. Typically Opus jalapeño and what I believe to be a really pleasant vinegar taste that you can get even before sparking up. The stick lasted a good 90 minutes. I would say this was spicier than a Robusto and not quite as flavorful as a Perfection X (my favorite size).

BTW…the 3rd cigar was a 1926 maduro #9, smoked between 1-2 AM and more than 3 sheets to the wind. This is a righteous smoke that really held its own despite being the 3rd of the day and twinned with massive alcohol intake. Overall a great day.

Damn. Sounds like a night of hedonism I'd like to have participated in ;)

Good to see ya back on! Everything always gets a little wild in Naw' Leans' :thumbs: :D

Not sure about this year's Opus...but last year's was downright gnarly. Wew! It was an "I gotta' lay down for a minute." smoke.

I smoked these babies back to back tonight... they were good cigars, impeccably made, burned perfectly, etc., and both exhibit characteristic Opus X and Diamond Crown Maximus profiles... but they are both quite young tasting to me.

If you have these 2004 TAA cigars, my advice is to smoke 'em in 2005 or later... should take the edge off a bit. The DCM had a slight bitter tinge to it, similar to the ammonia taste of a Cuban during it's sick period. The Opus was good, but typical of very young Opus, in that the complexity and balance of flavors was not there yet.

Still, both were very enjoyable smokes... but age 'em if you got 'em!

WOW, what a lineup Marito :thumbs:

I've got a TAA pack sitting in the humi. I don't know what I'm saving it for.....

Cigars are meant for SMOKING, right, not just looking at.

I've got to burn these sometime soon ;)

They are great smokes....I tried saving these.... NO such luck....down to my last set. Maybe if I put them into a locked sound proof humi, I would not hear them calling me....

Wish these came by the box.

Well this goes to demonstrate 2 truths:

1) My palate requires further refinement
2) Cherry Jell-O shots may not optimally enhance the aroma and taste of an Opus X

Luckily I have 1 more set and I will try to hold on to it.

coventrycat86 said:
WOW, what a lineup Marito :thumbs:

I've got a TAA pack sitting in the humi. I don't know what I'm saving it for.....

Cigars are meant for SMOKING, right, not just looking at.

I've got to burn these sometime soon ;)
[snapback]145640[/snapback]​

True... but they smoke much better with some age on 'em... so look at 'em for a while, then smoke them. :)

I like those DC Max, but still think they are overpriced. If they could knock 25% off the box price I'd buy them pretty regularly then.

Drunk in the Big Easy brings back some (partial) memories. :rolleyes:

Next time you are in Nawlins try going to The Cigar Factory New Orleans. A generous BOTL gifted me a Tres Hermanos from there and it was very enjoyable. It won't give the TAA smokes a contest by any means, but you probably don't have those on had all the time, if you do don't admit it here or you will get robbed!

-Matt-