• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tom's mystery smoke

insight

Making friends everywhere!
No pics with this one because as of the game today my camera is officially out of commission. This little perfect was sent to me by tomthirtysix under the condition I do a blind review and I am just finally getting to it. The cigar had a very distinct 'barnyard' smell to it, reminiscent of some of the younger 'custom rolls' I have had. It clipped nice and clean and had a firm draw without being tight.

The first third of the cigar was characterized by a wispy light smoke with a somewhat chalky, earthy taste to it. It was very light, almost to the point of having no distinguishable taste. As it progreesed towards the middle some very light hints of caramel with a nutty finish crept in but the character of the smoke remained unchanged.

At the halfway point some bitterness became apparent but it certainly was neither overpowering nor particularly distracting from the cigar, it was just there. The flavor was so mild throughout that the little things were really what characterized it. The rest of the cigar stayed about the same. That is to say, very mild with light hints of caramel and sporadic bitterness. I put it down at about the last inch and called it a ball game.

Overall I was sort of indifferent to this cigar. If Tom trolled me with a bargain bin smoke or something absurdly htf I wouldn't have much of an idea at this point. If I was to guess I would say this was a custom rolled cigar produced in the last year or so and probably mid-range in terms of price. I didn't dislike it but it was too milk and one dimensional for me to get excited about it either. I guess we will have to wait and see what Tom has to say.

It was from a bundle. The label on the bundle says "Owl Shop Lite, made by Davidoff," a figurado. I was told they were made for just for that store, a small shop in Massachusetts, by Davidoff. I stopped in the shop, saw them on the shelf for ~$3, and figured I would try it.

The one I had was very good. So good that I decided to go back and grab a bundle of 16. And the couple that I had from the bundle have been hit or miss. Looks like you might have gotten a miss, Phil. After I smoked the first one, I was pretty excited that I might have found a pretty decent bargain smoke, which is why I asked if you would do a blind review.

But now looking around, I see that Davidoff also makes a 4x4 bundle, in the exact same vitola, for about half that price. I would assume it's the same cigar. And if it is, for ~1.50 a piece, I think this makes a pretty damn good bargain smoke, especially when you are short on time.

Thanks for taking the time out to review it, Phil.

TBH my experience with Henke off-blends has not been good. YMMV but I am not ENTIRELY surprised. Thanks for the opportunity to try a new smoke Tom, I always enjoy trying things blind because it prevents expectations from altering your experience.

It was from a bundle. The label on the bundle says "Owl Shop Lite, made by Davidoff," a figurado. I was told they were made for just for that store, a small shop in Massachusetts, by Davidoff. I stopped in the shop, saw them on the shelf for ~$3, and figured I would try it.

The one I had was very good. So good that I decided to go back and grab a bundle of 16. And the couple that I had from the bundle have been hit or miss. Looks like you might have gotten a miss, Phil. After I smoked the first one, I was pretty excited that I might have found a pretty decent bargain smoke, which is why I asked if you would do a blind review.

But now looking around, I see that Davidoff also makes a 4x4 bundle, in the exact same vitola, for about half that price. I would assume it's the same cigar. And if it is, for ~1.50 a piece, I think this makes a pretty damn good bargain smoke, especially when you are short on time.

Thanks for taking the time out to review it, Phil.

I know the store you're talking about, and the smoke. The Owl Shop in Worcester, correct? They aren't too bad, but they would be much better if it wasn't for the inconsistencies noted by both the reviewer and the sender. :rolleyes:

The Owl Shop is the B&M I frequent the most. Good people. If anyone wants to try these let me know and I'll grab some next time I stop in.

Joe

The Owl Shop is the B&M I frequent the most. Good people. If anyone wants to try these let me know and I'll grab some next time I stop in.

Joe

It used to be my go to B+M, but recently I've been driving the extra 20 minutes (from me) to Two Guys in Nashua NH. The selection seems more vast, not to mention: no sales tax.

Joe

It used to be my go to B+M, but recently I've been driving the extra 20 minutes (from me) to Two Guys in Nashua NH. The selection seems more vast, not to mention: no sales tax.

Other than the 5% tax, is there much difference in the price of the cigars?

I know the store you're talking about, and the smoke. The Owl Shop in Worcester, correct? They aren't too bad, but they would be much better if it wasn't for the inconsistencies noted by both the reviewer and the sender. :rolleyes:

Yup, that's the one. Nice little store, nice selection.

Joe

Other than the 5% tax, is there much difference in the price of the cigars?

If I remember correctly there is a difference, but it isn't huge. The selection is much better though in Nashua, and I found the staff to be more helpful as well.