• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tonight I break the seal on a bottle of JW Blue

broblues

planning and plotting
Well, the stars finally aligned so I can open the bottle of JW Blue I bought a few months ago. All the players are in town and the cigars are all bought. What can I expect ?

I will spare you my review as my novice taste buds are not able to discern the complexities of alcohol. But I feel I'll be joining you in a glass of JW Blue (in spirit) as it's been one of those days. From what I can recall, it was smooth, clean, lacked the bite I'm so use to with my JW Black and very well balanced.

:cheers:

Sounds fantastic! You can expect me to show up around 8. :laugh:

Take your time with it. Blue is a very complex dram.

Ended up breaking open a bottle of JW Double Black. Cigar review to come :p

med_gallery_13160_1525_117215.jpg

Man, when I clicked back to this thread, the first unread post was Audi Kraut's picture. All I saw was the pic, and not the fact that it wasn't broblues who posted it, and thought to myself "what the ffff did he do to that Blue?" I was relieved to see the ice went to the Black, instead.

I heard a whisky master say he liked Blue on the rocks. He told a story how he was at a bar, and someone commented on how he had ruined his whisky. He said, "Hey, thanks for paying for my drink!" They guy said "What? I'm not paying for that!" to which the master replied, "Then don't tell me how to drink it."

I heard a whisky master say he liked Blue on the rocks. He told a story how he was at a bar, and someone commented on how he had ruined his whisky. He said, "Hey, thanks for paying for my drink!" They guy said "What? I'm not paying for that!" to which the master replied, "Then don't tell me how to drink it."

Nice.

What is a whisky master and how is that designation is obtained?

What is a whisky master and how is that designation is obtained?

I imagine this would equate to the same thing as a brewmaster possibly. Maybe hes the guy in charge of creating the grain recipe and overseeing the process.

Or hes like AVB, who to me, is THE "CP Whisky Master"...

We drank (3 of us) the whole bottle neat. It was an experience I will not soon forget. Such an amazing blend of flavors. Smoked first a Monte, then a Padron 1964. I believe another bottle is in order. :laugh:

Blue is nice stuff. But for the money, there are quite a few single malt scotches that curl my toes much better... :D

Andi - I've heard of "opening" a scotch with a piece of ice or two, or a couple of drops of water - but if I have to put THAT much ice into a drink, I might as well add a mixer. :whistling:

I've had Blue neat - and I've had it on the rocks. Definitely two different experiences. Not sure which one I necessarily like better...

Blue is nice stuff. But for the money, there are quite a few single malt scotches that curl my toes much better... :D

Just curious what single malts in this price range you prefer to Blue Label.

I'd like to know too.

I won't tell you how to drink it but I'll suggest you cut the ice by 75%

Ended up breaking open a bottle of JW Double Black. Cigar review to come :p

med_gallery_13160_1525_117215.jpg

I'd like to know too.

Don't worry. I've since tried it neat and actually prefer it without ice. It was on an empty stomach and my tolerance is that high.. good for an asian, but that isn't saying much ><

I'd like to know too.

Don't worry. I've since tried it neat and actually prefer it without ice. It was on an empty stomach and my tolerance is that high.. good for an asian, but that isn't saying much ><

Just wait until you get a hold of some of the cask strength whisk(e)y's. These are actually a lot of fun as you can experiment with water content and dial it up or down depending on your preference.

Look into; Laphroaig CS, Macallan CS, Aberlour A'bunadh. Neither of these will disappoint

I say maybe a glass w/ice, MAYBE one shot...the rest neat and/or with a Small splash of H2O to release the complexity mentioned.​

and what I 'say' doesn't mean squat in the grand scheme of things when it is your JW Blue​

So after AVBs post I started to pay attention to what I typically put into my drinks (yes, AVB made me self conscious). I've realized that I religiously water down my scotch and for the past few weeks have revisited some of my favorite drinks but drank them neat.

Wow.. I never realized that watering down the scotch masked so many flavors. I'm not sure if it is temperature dependent, but it is literally a whole new facet to every liquor I revisit. I knew the flavors would be more pronounced, but there is a lot of character and subtleties I've been missing. Thanks for the recommendation AVB :cheers: