• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Too much fun!

Shiro

Hi there,
I thought I would make my first post kind of a formal introduction with a couple questions thrown in. I gather that participation is encouraged on this forum, and while I don't have alot to offer experiance wise,I thought I'd jump out of peepdom and say hi. I've been in to Cigars for quite awhile now, but due to only shopping at the B/M stores,my budget has alowed only about 1 a week . About four months ago I was introduced to online Cigar sites <enter Fireworks,marching bands and angelic trumpets>. Now a daily dose of smokey pleasure is mine! I've been doing the Sampler dance, and have been introduced to some really tastey treats, not to mention some clunkers (or worse).I have moved from "Mild" into full bodied goodness. Being a rookie my review process is three baggies I throw bands in. The bags are labeled "Good,X-tra Good,and Yuk". (don't want to over complicate things :D )

Here's my questions. Do you more experianced people still do Samplers? I have found a few Cigars that I really enjoy. My current faves are La Herencia Oscuro Furte, Diesel Unholy cocktail, and Greycliff G2 Turbo. I have been thinking that maybe I should use my budget on a sure thing now,but I wonder if I may miss out on trying as many different brands as possible. I did try a flight sampler of one brand and it was a monumental FAIL. It was a Victor Sinclair 16 pack. With all due respect, I was very dissapointed. I will carry one with me though to put under the wobbly table leg at the restaraunt. Is this hobby a never ending experiment? Is it a search for the "Holy Grail"? Or do you settle into something that you know will provide pleasure?

My last question is a simple one. I read on here somewhere in reguards to the "pass" box, that three 3$ cigars do not equal one 9$ cigar. Fair enough. Is a 20$ cigar that you buy online for 5$, a 20 or 5 dollar stick? (I told you I was slow).

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. I very much enjoy reading your posts and reviews. You all seem like a great bunch. I feel fortunate to have found this site. Thanks for your time......Mike

Hi there,
I thought I would make my first post kind of a formal introduction with a couple questions thrown in. I gather that participation is encouraged on this forum, and while I don't have alot to offer experiance wise,I thought I'd jump out of peepdom and say hi. I've been in to Cigars for quite awhile now, but due to only shopping at the B/M stores,my budget has alowed only about 1 a week . About four months ago I was introduced to online Cigar sites <enter Fireworks,marching bands and angelic trumpets>. Now a daily dose of smokey pleasure is mine! I've been doing the Sampler dance, and have been introduced to some really tastey treats, not to mention some clunkers (or worse).I have moved from "Mild" into full bodied goodness. Being a rookie my review process is three baggies I throw bands in. The bags are labeled "Good,X-tra Good,and Yuk". (don't want to over complicate things :D )

Here's my questions. Do you more experianced people still do Samplers? I have found a few Cigars that I really enjoy. My current faves are La Herencia Oscuro Furte, Diesel Unholy cocktail, and Greycliff G2 Turbo. I have been thinking that maybe I should use my budget on a sure thing now,but I wonder if I may miss out on trying as many different brands as possible. I did try a flight sampler of one brand and it was a monumental FAIL. It was a Victor Sinclair 16 pack. With all due respect, I was very dissapointed. I will carry one with me though to put under the wobbly table leg at the restaraunt. Is this hobby a never ending experiment? Is it a search for the "Holy Grail"? Or do you settle into something that you know will provide pleasure?

My last question is a simple one. I read on here somewhere in reguards to the "pass" box, that three 3$ cigars do not equal one 9$ cigar. Fair enough. Is a 20$ cigar that you buy online for 5$, a 20 or 5 dollar stick? (I told you I was slow).

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. I very much enjoy reading your posts and reviews. You all seem like a great bunch. I feel fortunate to have found this site. Thanks for your time......Mike

Yes.

Keep trying as many varieties of cigars as possible. When you find a brand you like, try out the more expensive offerings in that brand.

my review process is three baggies I throw bands in. The bags are labeled "Good,X-tra Good,and Yuk".
Ha! That's a great system, honestly. Like you said, no need to over-complicate. :thumbs: Welcome to CP.

Do you more experianced [sic] people still do Samplers? ... Is this hobby a never ending experiment? Is it a search for the "Holy Grail"? Or do you settle into something that you know will provide pleasure?
No, yes, no, yes. For me. I have a dozen or so brands that I could be happy with and not _have_ to try anything new. On the other hand, new stuff is always coming out and it's fun to try. The "holy grail" is probably 5 - 10 cigars that you really like and can enjoy anytime, instead of a single cigar.

Is a 20$ cigar that you buy online for 5$, a 20 or 5 dollar stick?
If you're selling, it's a $5 stick. If you're trading, it's worth MSRP or an average of what a couple of sites are currently selling it for. MSRP is often very inflated on a few smokes, like Gurkha, so you'd use average price. If you get some incredible deal on an honest $20 smoke for $5, then you can trade it like a $20 smoke.

As always, corrections from the FOGs if I've mistaken anything. :)

-John

Hey Shiro, funny introduction. I'll answer some questions as best I can from my personal experience/opinion.

Do you more experianced people still do Samplers?
No. The reason being is that I played the sampler game when I first started and wasted a ton of money on some really shitty samplers. Now, I know what I like so I buy that or similar smokes recommended by friends who know what I like. Instead of spending $40 dollars for 3,175 garbage bag smokes from CI, I can just buy 4 cigars I know I'll really enjoy.

Is this hobby a never ending experiment? Is it a search for the "Holy Grail"? Or do you settle into something that you know will provide pleasure?
I like to try new cigars to a degree, but I'm at the point where I smoke what I like. As far as the Holy Grail, no. I've seen a good handful of BOTLs who get themselves in situations while searching for their Holy Grail cigar, and generally it doesn't end pretty. Sometimes, you hit the jackpot with an Opus Maduro, but other times your friends get taken for a spin on some fake Original Release (OR) Anejos. To me, it's not worth it to stress and worry and chase down something that's nigh unattainable, and instead enjoy a simple cigar I love like an Opus.

Very good to hear Mike, enjoy the site. Make sure you have thick skin, read some posts, and always try to search a topic up first. If you have any questions, you can PM me if ya like. Welcome to CP!

Hey Shiro, funny introduction. I'll answer some questions as best I can from my personal experience/opinion.

Do you more experianced people still do Samplers?
No. The reason being is that I played the sampler game when I first started and wasted a ton of money on some really shitty samplers. Now, I know what I like so I buy that or similar smokes recommended by friends who know what I like. Instead of spending $40 dollars for 3,175 garbage bag smokes from CI, I can just buy 4 cigars I know I'll really enjoy.

Is this hobby a never ending experiment? Is it a search for the "Holy Grail"? Or do you settle into something that you know will provide pleasure?
I like to try new cigars to a degree, but I'm at the point where I smoke what I like. As far as the Holy Grail, no. I've seen a good handful of BOTLs who get themselves in situations while searching for their Holy Grail cigar, and generally it doesn't end pretty. Sometimes, you hit the jackpot with an Opus Maduro, but other times your friends get taken for a spin on some fake Original Release (OR) Anejos. To me, it's not worth it to stress and worry and chase down something that's nigh unattainable, and instead enjoy a simple cigar I love like an Opus.

Very good to hear Mike, enjoy the site. Make sure you have thick skin, read some posts, and always try to search a topic up first. If you have any questions, you can PM me if ya like. Welcome to CP!

What the Holy Hell?? Last time I told someone to PM you you got all bent out of shape. :angry:

Welcome to CP Mike, you'll love it here.

What the Holy Hell?? Last time I told someone to PM you you got all bent out of shape. :angry:

Welcome to CP Mike, you'll love it here.

I'm feeling generous today! :laugh: Now you go take your bad vibes over there next to Kirk so he can hug you without any pants on! :laugh: I command thee!!

Hi there,

Yes, I still do samplers, but only if they contain: A) several cigars that I KNOW that I like and B) some new cigars
that I'd like to try. I DO NOT do Flight Samplers, unless I know and like that particular brand and line.

Your method of keeping track of the smokes that you like, love and yuk is good. Keep at it.

The Holy Grail for me is a $2 cigar that tastes like an Ashton VSG or Hemingway maduro, etc. Unfortunately, it
does not exist, but it is fun to look around for it. My 'recent' finds are Diesel UHC, Pepin Serie JJ maduro and
La Riqueza.

As a newbie you should A) hook up for a Newbie Sampler Trade (NST) and B) try as many different brands and
lines within each brand as possible. You will find that some suit your taste more than others. It will take a
while, maybe 2-3 yrs, to find some favs and narrow your search. However, the sly bastids that make cigars
have a bad habit of introducing new blends quite often. With experience you'll know which to try and which to
avoid re: your taste profile. Discovering a new blend that you like is rewarding, as is revisiting one you once
liked and haven't tried in a while.

I don't do passes as postage adds up, but there are plenty of locals(for me) that frequent these boards, and
we herf and bomb each other in person, regularly. If you get a great deal on an expensive cigar, don't gouge
the next guy you trade with/sell to, but share a little of the deal. Remember they're your Brothers of the Leaf!

Enjoy your new hobby.

Chemyst :cool:

Thanks for the welcome! Great advice from all. I just ordered A La Herencia brand sampler to check out the line, (stock getting dangerously low) and I'll get a sampler comming to continue the search. Life is good! :thumbs:

First off, welcome to CP! Samplers are always a good idea. The reason for this is that while there are some dog rockets in the group, there can be two or three sticks that make it worth it. Also there are flight samplers. These samplers are the same brand but offer up all the different vitolas (cigar sizes) that are available in that cigar line. Some sizes actually taste better than others.

From the sounds of things, you are getting your cigars from CI. Keep smoking those cigars and find what you like and what you dont like. This will educate you palate. Then I recommend brands like Padron, Fuente, Los Blancos, La Flor Dominacana, Tatuaje, among others. These are higher grade cigars and you will certainly notice the difference. And with a experienced palate you will be able to appreciate more of the subtleties that these cigars have. Hope this helps!