• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Took the Cool-o-dor Plunge

Dice

Grow a set and stop being so paranoid!
Ok....since I seem to have killed the Cool-o-dor 101 thread...I figgered I'd start a new one with some questions to proceed on making my own.

I spoke to Mr Viper beads and he has set me upon the path of righteous humidification,so I got that covered.

I'll be buying an electronic hygrometer from circuit city,so that's covered.

Wire shelves I'll grab at Lowe's.

I'd like to get some spanich cedar to line the inside of the cooler with and I'd like to get at least 1 spanish cedar tray. I've tried my old links at bargain humidors, but they no longer have any of that listed! Does anyone have a link to a website where I can buy any of this? I was thinking about using old cigar boxes but A) I don't have near enough to get anywhere's near what I'd need for a 100qt cooler and B) the cigar stores around here are selling empty boxes as if they were some new type of collectors items! I went to 2 stores today and they wanted between $5.00-8.00 for an empty box!?! But I digress....anyhelp in this area would be greatly appreciated!

Never fear...more questions WILL follow!

I'd wager there is a fairly ample supply of empty boxes floating around CP that may be available :)

You might want to add your address to your profile!! :whistling:

*edited for some terrible spelling*

I didn't line mine with cedar and it works just as well too, if you aren't able to get your hands on boxes. But like they said addy in the profile is always a good thing!

I have two Coleman "humidors" and I've just made sure the 'gars were in cedar boxes, stored at the proper RH. Never had an issue....never felt the need to line them with cedar. Damn if those $16.00 coolers don't work FANTASTIC and hold RH with an lb of beads in each right where it needs to be....

Good move, and good luck - B.B.S.

yep, that price for boxes is out of line. I got 4 cedar boxes in Denver for $5 total. My wife ordered 10 boxes from CBid for about $15 shipped and most of those were cedar. I used the cedars to store my bundled sticks. Wife is going to do something crafty witht he rest - no idea what just yet. :cool:

If'n you put your adress in your profile I guarantee you will get some boxes in the mail. I have a number of them I will send. There may be a few other goodies hitchhike too... ya just never know. :whistling:

edit fer spleyeling

Dice... good to hear you've read Emo's thread. I followed his instructions on prepping my Igloo Ice Cube (50 qt) exactly. The biggest issue for me was getting rid of that 'new plastic' smell. It took a couple of rinsings with water/bleach/baking soda, but the smell disappeared.

I haven't lined my Cooler with cedar, but I did put some of the thin cedar sheets from some empty boxes into the Cooler. I haven't opened it in a couple weeks and the humidity is perfect at 68%. My RH hasn't moved at all thanks to three quarters of a pound of Viper's 70% beads in three small mesh bags. I also use the Radio Shack Remote Hygro so I don't have to open the Cooler to be assured of it's status... this just helps me to sleep better at night :) :whistling:

Sounds like you're on the right track, Dice... good call with the beads, but I'm really not sure what to tell you about the cedar except I really haven't found it necessary.

Thanks guys! I've added my addy to my profile.

Seadub...what's this remote hygro you speak of? Sounds very interesting!

The remote hygro uses a small wireless trnsmitter to transmit the relative humidity to a base station within usually a 100 foot radius. They are relly nice as you don't have to constantly open your coolerdor to check the relative humidity so it has a chance to stabilize after set-up. Not that you would ever do that!!! :laugh: :laugh:

You can usually find the whole set-up on sale for around $30.00. Most of them also monitor temperature as well and also can have station hook-ups for up to three additional probes. Oregon Scientific makes a really nice unit that Costco has available from time to time.

Remote Hygrometer

Something like this.. Radio shack sells them as well. WELL worth the minor expense, IMO. I actually have 2 remotes in my cabinet- one low, one high so I can see if there is any difference.

Target has the remote Hygro on sale this week for like $15.00 so I plan on popping over later today and see if I can score one.

Since I can't get the viper beads I went to the craft shop and got 2 decent sized blocks of wet foam and stopped off at Auto Zone and grabbed 2 gallons of the pet safe antifreeze. I have a gallon of distilled water here already,so I'll be good to go on the humidification front once I hit the grocery store up later and get some tupperware containers to put the foam in.

I grabbed 6' of wire shelving from Lowe's so I'll cut that up and make shelfs for the coolerdor.

All I need now is some cedar boxes to line the inside and I'll be good to go!

Target has the remote Hygro on sale this week for like $15.00 so I plan on popping over later today and see if I can score one.

Since I can't get the viper beads I went to the craft shop and got 2 decent sized blocks of wet foam and stopped off at Auto Zone and grabbed 2 gallons of the pet safe antifreeze. I have a gallon of distilled water here already,so I'll be good to go on the humidification front once I hit the grocery store up later and get some tupperware containers to put the foam in.

I grabbed 6' of wire shelving from Lowe's so I'll cut that up and make shelfs for the coolerdor.

All I need now is some cedar boxes to line the inside and I'll be good to go!

Bring this back and get your money back..... no need for it..... just use the Distilled water.

Why can't you get beads ??

If you still want to add the cedar, here is a source in the US.

Rockler

At 1/4 inch, you can pretty much order what you want for about $8 per square foot. It acts as a humidty accumulator/buffer. I'm told it adds to the flavor of cigars, but don't have the palate to detect that. How much is enough for a given air volume? I have no idea.

We have comment from several coolidor users who find it adequate to use cedar cigar boxes. Works for me. However, for my humi cabinet (I'm converting a dining room cabinet), I'm going to build cedar shelves as a visual enhancement.

damm that is expensive...look here on fleabay
Fleabay auction

It gets much worse. Unfortunately, his stock is 1" thick. I have no way to get the 1/8 to 1/4 that I'd want. Cabinet makers: is it possible to rip to thickness and get at least 1/4 inch stock out of 1"? I only know to plane it down.

Excellent!! I haven't seen a Opus Prestone X since the last time one of our illustrious members decided to do the Prestone experiment!!!

OpusXPrestoneX.jpg

I'm thinking we're going to get an Opus AutoZone "Pet Safe" X this time???

Dammit Dice I'm gonna have nightmares thinking about your avatar. Freaks me out everytime I see it.