• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Top 5 known Cuban Cigars?

Ugaman72

As a newbie, I was wondering what the great Cuban Cigar experts on here would think are the top 5 recognizable Cuban cigars? I'm not talking about your top 5 favorites. I'm talking about the top 5 brands and sizes that is most instantly recognizable? I am a newbie, but even as a newbie I had always heard of the infamous Montecristo #2. Would that be number 1? Or even close?
-Chad

As a newbie, I was wondering what the great Cuban Cigar experts on here would think are the top 5 recognizable Cuban cigars? I'm not talking about your top 5 favorites. I'm talking about the top 5 brands and sizes that is most instantly recognizable? I am a newbie, but even as a newbie I had always heard of the infamous Montecristo #2. Would that be number 1? Or even close?
-Chad

Just because cigars are recognizeable doesn't make them the best, it makes them accessible. Taste is so subjective. For instance the Monte #2, as referenced, as well as the Monte #4 are probably the two best selling cuban cigars in the world. My personal experience with the #2 to date has not been good at all, and this is after several. I know many who've not had my same experience though.

I'd say Cohiba Siglo VI, Esplendido and H. Upmann Sir Winnie's should be somewhere near the top. This is just from my experience, but like I said taste is subjective.

Have not had a Siglo VI yet, but I certainly agree on the Esplendido and the Sir Winnies. I would also love to add Monte 4's, Party Lusitanias, and maybe SLR double Coronas as well. I am newer to CC's though, so I could be off a bit though. :) I have a ton I love so far though, so it is tough to narrow them down.

Don

I recognize that at the moment my top five would be....Cohiba Esplendido, H. Upmann Magnum 50 EL 2005, Bolivar Colosales, H. Upmann Sir Winston (when they're smoking good), and Partagas Lusitania.

Of course, this is subject to change at any time. :D

I guess I mean popular more than recognizable. Like I said, even before I started being a heavier cigar smoker, I knew of the Cuban Monte # 2 and 4 as well as the Cohiba Siglo VI. Just wondering if there were more of those types of smokes that people always seem to know. If this is turing into one of those irritating threads for y'all then just feel free to ignore me. I was just looking to gain some information about cuban cigar brands and sizes to try, and I wanted to try the most popular ones first I guess. Thanks for the help from those who replied.

It sounds like you are asking several different questions. But, as far as most recongizable, you could probably guarantee that the Monte #2, #4. Cohiba Robusto, Esplendido, Lancero; and RyJ Churchill are right at the top. The Cohiba Sig VI is also gaining in recognition I would think. Does this mean they are the best? Of course not, but they are probably the most recognizable and most popular in terms of sales or prestige.

The brands that seem to get most talked about in my experience:

Cohiba
Montecristo
Partagas
H. Upmann
Romeo y Julieta

It sounds like you are asking several different questions. But, as far as most recongizable, you could probably guarantee that the Monte #2, #4. Cohiba Robusto, Esplendido, Lancero; and RyJ Churchill are right at the top. The Cohiba Sig VI is also gaining in recognition I would think. Does this mean they are the best? Of course not, but they are probably the most recognizable and most popular in terms of sales or prestige.

So your top five would be?

This pretty much nails it I think.

Top 5 what? I thought he was asking the most popular/recognizable?

:laugh: :blush: You're right Mike. Blame the guys in the CP Saloon.... the bastids! :sign:

:laugh: :blush: You're right Mike. Blame the guys in the CP Saloon.... the bastids! :sign:

No worries :thumbs:

If you were asking top 5 favorite cigars, I don't even think I could make a list thanks to my ever changing tastes...

As I understand it, you're asking: which cuban cigars can be most readily identified as cuban cigars, in terms of appearance and flavor. Given your past posts, it seems likely that you're looking for good "display" smokes for professional purposes. I'll split it into multiple categories to boil down to a single answer.

1) Band. For most rookies, band is the first thing they notice. I'd say the best-known cuban bands are Montecristo, Romeo y Julieta, H. Upmann, Cohiba, El Rey del Mundo, and Hoyo de Monterrey. Unfortunately, all of the above have US name-alikes. There's a reason for that.

2) Vitola. Thinner vitolas are more common on cuban cigars, whereas the trend has been going to larger ring gauges in NC's. In the blind cigar review thread, I sent a Partagas Mille Fleurs, a mareva 5x42, as my unbanded stick. This might have given it away from the get-go. Suffice to say that a mareva is a very common cuban size and a very uncommon non-cuban size.

3) Cigar: Cuban tobacco seems to have a characteristic earthy-barnyard scent, which is rarely the case in non-cubans. This is partly due to their aging process (they don't) and partly due to the tobacco itself. The french say that terroir matters in wine; who's to say that it doesn't matter in cigars?

To sum it up, which brand-size combo is going to be most distinctive for you.

1) Montecristo No. 2. Also A, No. 4, Edmundo, and Petit Edmundo. But No. 2 is first and foremost.
2) Cohiba Siglo V. Also Esplendidos (larger) or Siglo IV (smaller).
3) El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme.
4) Partagas Serie D No. 4.
5) H. Upmann Magnum 46. H. Upmann was JFK's favorite cigar, a bit of historical trivia for you.

IMO
Top five in no particular order
Cohiba Robusto
Partagas SD #4
Montecristo #2
RyJ Churchill
Hoyo Epi #2

"Aye lovin a Party SD4" :D

I think you'll find that the top 5 most popular Cuban cigars strangely correspond to the top 5 most counterfeited cigars ???

I assume that you're talking about cigars that are recognizable in the general market, and not to those of us more obsessed with lighting stuff on fire and seeing what it tastes like.

From that angle, I would say:

-Monte 2
-Monte 4
-RyJ Churchill
-HdM Double Corona
-Cohiba Esplendido

Not necessarily in that order.

I am partial to those with a glass top displaying the pretty construction :).

Jim

I would take a look around some of the recognized sponsors that advertise on CP. They give pretty good info on the different vitolas and a couple of the sites discuss Cuban legends, which could be construed as the most popular.