• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Toronto - Downtown Cigar Shops

scthornton

Can anyone recommend some good cigar shops in downtown Toronto? There seems to be quite a few, which ones are worth stopping by?

Thanks!

Scott

Can anyone recommend some good cigar shops in downtown Toronto? There seems to be quite a few, which ones are worth stopping by?

Thanks!

Scott

When I went to Toronto the sticks were WAY pricey due to the tax and I smoked outside a restaurant, in the rain as there was no smoking inside........

here's a website that I came across which may be of help - Cigar Bunch - Toronto - got a bit of info, as well as some links to a few cigar shops and such. unfortunately, I haven't had opportunity to visit any of them yet, so I'm not able to recommend either for or against any of them. also, as previously mentioned, be prepared to pick your jaw up off the floor when you see the prices - figure roughly double what you might be used to paying as a rough ballpark :(

Try living up here. :( I'm about 40 mins outside Toronto in Hamilton. Its the same everywhere in Ont. outrageous taxes. It sucks big time. Oh and don't think about looking at your smokes before you buy them (unless your at a cigar only B&M which is rare in Hamilton) because thats against the law! The gov treats us like babies up here and they make us pay through the nose for our hobby.

WOW, I didn't realize you guys had it so rough. Has anyone been to the La Casa Del Habanos? It looks like there are a couple in Ontario.

checked with a buddy of mine who's local to me, and he also mentioned Thomas Hinds as good shop to go to - one of these days, I might just have to drag my arse up to Toronto and check it out :blush:

Be careful too. Just because you are shelling out big money for the cigars, doesn't mean they are authentic.

At Thomas Hinds you have absolutely nothing to worry about - I think that they were Habanos SA's first importer into Canada, and may still be the Canadian distributor (like Hunters & Frankau are in the UK). There are inexpensive machine-made Havanas available more widely, but a) as a CP guy, you probably aren't searching for inexpensive machine-made havanas and b) if you have Hinds on your doorstep, you should go.

At Thomas Hinds you have absolutely nothing to worry about - I think that they were Habanos SA's first importer into Canada, and may still be the Canadian distributor (like Hunters & Frankau are in the UK). There are inexpensive machine-made Havanas available more widely, but a) as a CP guy, you probably aren't searching for inexpensive machine-made havanas and b) if you have Hinds on your doorstep, you should go.

That's what I remember as well.

It was a very nice place and helpful when I visited. :thumbs:

Toronto used to be famous for its Cigar deli's - Shopsy's at the foot of Yonge still has their humidor open, but the food is supposed to have gone down a bit from its heyday. Dunno how Yitz's humidor/deli is doing these days either, but it used to have a decent rep. (My favourite deli in Toronto is Moe Pancer's, but Pancer's went smoke-free almost 30 years ago ... still the best corned beef in the city IMHO!)

Thomas Hinds is the famous store, where the celebs shop, etc. Mr. Hinds was the Canadian distributor for Cuban Cigars until he sold out during the cigar boom and opened retail stores in Toronto, Beverly Hills, and Winnipeg(?!?)

Also, the LCDH is a few minutes away from Hind's (but Hind's isn't the owner of LCDH).

Frank Correnti is a cigar manufacturer in downtown Toronto if you're looking for a fresh hand-rolled cigar made with Cuban tobacco. I've heard wildly different opinions about the sticks, though.

Note that you can't smoke inside, and, in the New Year, no smoking in a car if there are children in the car. There are also some unusual rules on handling tobacco, e.g., you, as a customer, can't.

Be careful too. Just because you are shelling out big money for the cigars, doesn't mean they are authentic.

At Hinds?

Any problems with them we need to know?

Sorry, I was not referring to any specific Toronto retailler. I just know that fakes do abound in Canada and have experienced it first hand I Alberta. Looks like you are getting some sound advice from some BOTLs who have been to Toronto. Enjoy your trip.

Sorry to bump this older thread but it seemed like the most appropriate place to put this.

I was in Toronto this weekend and had a chance to stop by Frank Correnti cigars. I have never seen cigars rolled so I thought, "What the heck, I should stop by and see if they have a tour or anything." Basically Correnti's imports Cuban Tobacco and rolls their own cigars.

For those of you familiar with Toronto, you have to be facing the Scholastic Building on King Street, then just to the left is an alley, go all the way to the back and where you can't go straight any more, only right, to your left is a door.

Well, I saw the door with the sign and opened it, then had to go up a flight of stairs and was just beginning to wonder if it was a good idea when a lady greeted my upstairs who was very friendly and helpful. She let me look around and go to the back where there were 2 ladies rolling the cigars. It's a neat little place which what appears to be a nice smoking room up there and it was my first time getting to watch cigars beign rolled so that was neat.

The woman stated that some of the guys who own the place were out and one, I think she said his name was John, was giving cigar rolling demonstrations at the wedding show. Apprently he is a "cigar encyclopedia" and would be willing to answer questions/talk cigars anytime he's around. Also, in the winter their selection is limited as I guess they slow down production a little, I wasn't really clear on the reasons when they were explained and didn't ask.

I purchased two of their petite coronas but haven't smoked them yet. The woman said that they'd be ready to smoke 24 hrs after being rolled and gave me one that was rolled on Friday (I went on Saturday) and one right off the table that had just been rolled so it was still a little damp. I have to be honest, I'm a little dubious about the cigars as they don't look all that pretty, lots of veins, and the one made the day before has some of the wrapper peeling off which I only noticed once I got home. They said their tabacco is aged 5 years but I didn't ask if that was in ISOM or at their warehouse.

I'm looking forward to trying the cigars and I'll post an update once I do (it'll probably be a few months). I forgot to ask if they freeze them after production or not but I'm guessing the answer is no just from a cursory glance at the warehosue so I'll be tossing them down there for a few days to ensure no bugs and then defrosting them, using info I learned here on the forum. I'm not impressed with their look but for anyone in the area or going to visit TO and haven't seen a cigar being rolled, it's worth a visit just to check that out alone.

Also - I am in no way connected with Correnti's, I even live about 5 hours away.

Mike

This is a bit late but I was in Ontario in Feb 2008 for work, and I called LCDH and Thomas Hinds in Toronto while I was there.
Both places told me the smoking laws changed over the last year and there is now no smoking allowed in the establishments any more. Very unfortunate. I've been to the LCDH in Toronto and it was very nice. It's a shame that smoking is no longer allowed in the store any more.

Yeah, I assumed that the smoking room was a private/employee only type thing for after hours, not the general public due to the laws here in Ontario.

Just thought I'd give a quick update on the sticks I got from Correntis. One I got had been rolled the day before and looked HORRIBLE and required some work with the pectin. The other was rolled while I was there and was fine. This morning I smoked the ugly one and it was pretty good. It only had about 3 weeks in my humidor after being rolled but had the creamy type CC taste which I was surprised by due to its age but they get their tobacco from Cuba and say it is aged 5 years before rolling so perhaps that is why it didn't taste "new". By the last 3rd though it was a little stronger and probably could have benefited from some more time. Now I promise, no more bumps.

Mike