• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Torpedo Vs. Toros - Why the difference in taste?

Newfie

Official Lancero Whore
With many cigars that are supposedly the same blend (RP Edge as an example) I personally prefer the Torpedos, but they're made of the same blend, or so I think.

Anyone else find this??

Also, while I can't quote any examples immediately, I've seen instances where the Torps are slightly more expensive.

Differernt vitolas of the same cigar will taste different due to many factors, wrapper to filler/binder ratio, some vitolas cause more airflow than others causing different tastes.

Typically Torpedo, belicoso, salamone, etc are mor expensive becasue it takes a skilled roller to create them. e.g. Jose Pepin is still the only one that rolls the DP Serie JJ Salamone

And Jorge Padron told me that there is only one person rolling the 40th Anni's.. FYI he is the only one that is rolling the 80th as well.

One other theory is that the figurado shapes that taper at the head compact the smoke on the draw and provide a concetrate and concise flavor. Perfecto shapes such as the salamones/diademas, and hemmingways and Ashton San Cristobal Maestro provide relative evidence of this as the flavor really opens up once the burn passes the nipple foot. Anyone smoke the Bratalia trumpet?

What they said..

They could be the same blend not sure about that. Even if they are the same, they are buched differently on the 2 vitoals that you mentioned, so smoking would yield a different taste. IMHO

I've notice the end of a torpedo to be a bit different then the end of a toro. I've been told that the oils collect in the end more on the torpedo due to its shape. As someone above me pointed out, there are different fillers used in different sizes. This can really be noticed when you smoke a 52 ring gauge cigar and compare the flavor to something like a panatela or lancero.

I choose torpedo over toro due to my having more control over the cut and in turn the draw.

Stinki