• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Toscano Extra Vecchio

jorel

After my daughter thankfully brought me back some Toscanos (and a few nice ISOMs) from a trip to Rome linky, I broke open the Toscano Extra Vecchio.

Definitely felt like I should be watching a Clint Eastwood movie or outside playing bocci ball. The wrapper doesn't really stay on, which is find as it is more of a "chewing" cigar. Already has appearance of beef jerky - so the hard, thin shape allows you to talk and smoke like Eastwood himself.

More about the smoke, I guess. Clearly, you don't buy this for complexity or drama. Now that I've had one - I can see it for what it is - a fun outdoorsy smoke to have when you're not rushed or expecting much. It's a strong "single note" cigar - meaning if you like it at the beginning you'll like it at the end - it doesn't develop!

Still learning my new digital cam so pics aren't so good yet (thanks to Kingantz for some photo software tips).

3374585704_40dbe3605c_o.jpg

Thank you for a good review. I appreciate any info on these I can get as I've been researching these for a while.
I think I've finally figured out enough about these to get an order going from a good vendor.
My dad smoked them. He was a tool and die maker, and professional drum player. He would always cut them in half when working in the
machine shop. One half in his mouth, one half behind his ear. He loved them. Time for me to check them out.

Thank you for a good review. I appreciate any info on these I can get as I've been researching these for a while.
I think I've finally figured out enough about these to get an order going from a good vendor.
My dad smoked them. He was a tool and die maker, and professional drum player. He would always cut them in half when working in the
machine shop. One half in his mouth, one half behind his ear. He loved them. Time for me to check them out.

Funny my B&M, who hosted (and shared in) the smoke said the same thing - that people he knew frequently cut them in half and get two smokes out of them since there isn't the same filler/binder/wrapper method of other makers.

Hope you get them - definitely worth pursuing to you can say "you had them."

John

I just searched to find out if anyone had reviewed the Toscano, and I'm glad that I found your review! If you have any questions about the cigars, or the other types of Toscanos, let me know. I run a store in the U.S, and I'm pretty knowledgable.

-Mike

Thanks for the review. I agree these are not a very complex smoke (at least not to my newb palate), but I do enjoy them. Whenever I smoked them whole, I always felt like it was a major struggle to get good smoke production until I got to the 2nd half, so now just I cut them in half, and usually smoke both halves in the same sitting.

Guess your going to make me add this to the future shopping list. I spent a lot of time with half cigar jobs and hate to light up a $8 - $10 stick and have to let it go after 25 minutes and then hopefully come back to it.

I wonder if they sell spumoni? :whistling:

Thanks for the review. I agree these are not a very complex smoke (at least not to my newb palate), but I do enjoy them. Whenever I smoked them whole, I always felt like it was a major struggle to get good smoke production until I got to the 2nd half, so now just I cut them in half, and usually smoke both halves in the same sitting.

Cutting them in half is definitely a great way to smoke a Toscano. I like smoking the Extravecchio after being halved, but I enjoy cigars like the Toscano Antico whole. Sometimes it takes a bit to get them lit, but there is a trick to get it to light faster. Take a guillotine and cut off a small piece of both ends; this always helps.