• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tröegs Scratch Beer #12-2008

Phlicker

also know as @PhillyBeerGuy
Tröegs Scratch Beer #12-2008

gallery_4370_457_44258.jpg

Brewed by: Tröegs Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
Limited (brewed once)
Style: American IPA
ABV: 6.50%

I acquired a case of this in a trade with a local friend on BeerAdvocate.com. The Scratch Beer series is only available from the brewery, so unless you live near Harrisburg, PA, you'll be driving a bit to acquire it. A keg or a cask sometimes makes its way out to the Philly-area, but not too often. Most people drive out on release day to bring home cases and growlers. I can't believe the Trogner brothers never made an IPA before. So after a few samples, I guess it's time to do a review of the 12th beer in this series!

Appearance: Poured into an Imperial Pint Glass leaving a yeasty sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Beer is hazy, pale and golden, with noticeable bubbles rising to the top of the glass and a 1-2 finger head of light foam that eventually recedes to a fine layer with a good amount of fine lacing clinging to the side of the glass.

Scent: Man, do I love citrus-scented hops, and this one smells of them big time. Orange rinds and grapefruit. Not nearly as much as my beloved Nugget Nectar, but certainly close. Very floral in a "grassy" way as well. Not so much pine, so I'm not expecting a very bitter taste.

Taste: My first impression is of a beer that is hoppy, but still very balanced between the hops and the malt. A slight yeasty flavor makes an appearance. Though not as strong as NN, I find the hop and malt profile to be actually MORE complex than the Nectar. There's seems to be a bit more going on with a nice blend of the floral/grassy and citrus hops in the taste, and enough bittering hops to make for a nice, dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, lively and crisp. It coats the mouth well and finishes clean.

Drinkability/Overall Impression: This is definitely NOT an American/West Coast-style IPA. It has the qualities of a great British IPA...with the volume turned to 11 (thanks, Nigel). This manages to be both hoppy AND balanced, and quite flavorful at that. 6.5% ABV aside, I could drink this all night. It's a refreshing change of pace from the hop bombs my palate has become used to, and I'll drink the heck out of this one until it's gone. This is yet another Scratch Beer I wouldn't mind seeing go into regular production!

4.15 - A-

Nice review Mike. The appearance is interesting, quite hazy and a bit lighter in color then you would expect. British IPA (or American IPA that tastes like a British) is an excellent style, just wish there were more of them around.

Nice review Mike. The appearance is interesting, quite hazy and a bit lighter in color then you would expect. British IPA (or American IPA that tastes like a British) is an excellent style, just wish there were more of them around.
Agreed, Jonas. I was a little concerned that this would be "thin" from the pale hue. The haze I expected from the bottle conditioning and lack of filtration, but I was expecting a deeper malt color. Then I looked at the ingredients and realized that they used Pils and Vienna malts, so that pretty much explains it. Can't say I recall having an IPA made with Pilsener malt before.