• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Transferring vinyl to digital

yanksfan

I seem to have alot of trouble finding CD versions of some of the older music I have on vinyl (Crack the Sky, Horslips, Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Good Rats just to name a few). Was wondering if anyone knew of a program I could use to put the vinyl to digital? Have all the proper wires and connections and stuff. I tried this a few years back and any program I tried to use was cumbersome and confusing. Gave up in frustration. Thanks

This isn't software, it's hardware. Maybe not the only thing out there but certainly the best I've been looking at one of these for ages myself.

MSB Audio Director

I currently transfer vinyl to CD and use the following set up:

Technics SL-1200 ("steel wheel" turntable)
Sound Blaster Audigy sound card
Tascam DA-20 MKII (for on the fly analog to digital conversion)

The software I like to use (maybe because I'm too lazy to find anything else?) is Cool Edit Pro Version 2. I believe its now called Adobe Audition Version something or other. Its great for removing hiss, snap crackle and pop of the lps.

Darren

Here's a linky to a 'How to Article' - linky.

It's dated software and hardware wise...but it's a start on how to.

and another...linky.

I'll try to remember what I used to get rid of the crackle and hiss...it was software based....and pretty good.

Dehiss - and click...I looked at this:linky

If you can run/purchase an inexpensive mixing board to your computers sound card inputs and then run the turn table via the mixing board, you can use a recording program such as Sound Forge, record as an uncompressed .WAV file, edit , get rid of any pops/hissing, then convert to .MP3 or whatever.
Whatever you end up doing, it is a time consuming project, as you have to record in real time (I think).
Rob

If you can run/purchase an inexpensive mixing board to your computers sound card inputs and then run the turn table via the mixing board, you can use a recording program such as Sound Forge, record as an uncompressed .WAV file, edit , get rid of any pops/hissing, then convert to .MP3 or whatever.
Whatever you end up doing, it is a time consuming project, as you have to record in real time (I think).
Rob

...and they are LARGE- HUGE files...

make sure your pc has a LOT of horse power and space.

I've been looking into this as well as a friend has a large Blues collection on vinyl that will probably never make it to CD. I wasn't as concerned with the pops and hisses as they added the texture of a vinyl recording that I like, and it works well with these old Blues tunes. On my test cases I've used Nero to simply cut the end and beginning of the recordings.

I'll be watching this thread for more information as "search" didn't bring alll that much up ;)

:sign:

:cool:

I have an extensive vinyl collection and I never even considered doing this. I enjoy using and listening to my turntable. And keep in mind analog distortion is often musical in quality. Digital distortion never is.

Doc.

I have an extensive vinyl collection and I never even considered doing this. I enjoy using and listening to my turntable. And keep in mind analog distortion is often musical in quality. Digital distortion never is.

Doc.

Even the best examples of the consumer products I've seen available for vinyl to digital transfer produce lower than CD quality. Keep your vinyl on vinyl, you own fair use of the music - it is legal for you to download it off the internet (I'm 99% sure). You'll get a lot better quality from someone who has ripped off a CD at a high bit rate than the vinyl to digital hardware available is going to give you - your computer's components don't have the fidelity of the stuff they use in mastering studios.

Doc's right.

I should have added that you need an audiophile quality turntable, seperate tone arm and cartridge. I have a VPI, Audioquest, sumiko set up. I believe this to be the minimum for proper playback. 15 yrs ago it cost me around $1000, if my memory isn't failing me.

Doc.

Rob

We have a product that makes it really really easy :)

Rob

Shill! Post in the vendor section, ya newb :laugh:

Doc.

Even the best examples of the consumer products I've seen available for vinyl to digital transfer produce lower than CD quality. Keep your vinyl on vinyl, you own fair use of the music - it is legal for you to download it off the internet (I'm 99% sure). You'll get a lot better quality from someone who has ripped off a CD at a high bit rate than the vinyl to digital hardware available is going to give you - your computer's components don't have the fidelity of the stuff they use in mastering studios.

Doc's right.

I did see some show on TV not too long ago where they tested 3-4 different means of transfering vinyl to digital. The best method, which best maintained the vinyl's audio quality, turned out to be transfering directly from a turntable to CD via a CD recorder. The audiophile they were interviewing noticed little, if any, difference from the vinyl during playback.

My personal reason for doing this is that I've incorporated my computer into my A/V system and now have access to over 100 gigs of music at any time. This method has actually expanded my listening as now I'm able to sort, group and playback music that I didn't even know I had in my collection. We still use our turntable on occasion but the useability our our integrated system works out great for our application. It's also a lot of fun to use during a party, guests love to sort through our collection and make their own playlists ....... they aren't allowed to touch the vinyl collection :D

Rob

Nice slick app Andrew, too bad I am on a PC (ya, I know)
you guys made DefCon as well, my buds play that often.
Rob

I've been doing this with my parents old Jazz albums and it works out well.

I've fed the audio out from the turntable to the 'in' jack on the computer and recorded each session using 'Goldwave'

The best parts of this program are a reasonably good 'de hiss' and a great 'track splitter' tool.

http://www.goldwave.com/release.php

Once you've got the tracks all split up and named I use 'LAME' mp3 encoder to convert 'em to mp3 and let that run overnight. I typically do about 100 tracks at a time and it works like a champ.

Holler if you need any more info.

Rob

Go to Costco...buy the turntable that connects to your computer via USB. Burn to CD...simple.

-Fetter

Depending on what you plan on doing with the music after you've converted it determines your best course of action. If you just want it for an MP3 player, any of the direct to hard drive solutions offered above will work. However, if you want to save the music in a "lossless" format vs. MP3's "lossy" format, I would highly recommend Sound Forge software.

Here's a link for a trial version, I'm sure it's been disabled somewhat, but you should be able to get a good feel for the program from the trial version.

Sound Forge trial

As one who's converted 100's of hours of analog music to digital format, and has used this program since version 3.0, I feel it is the best out there for the home user, using a PC.

The bigger issue is how you get the music from your source (album, reel to reel, cassette, video tape, etc) on to your hard drive. Personally, I use a separate sound card, a pre-amp, and an amplifier as I've found it's much easier to tweek the music as it's going in, than to try and adjust it with software after the fact. This is assuming you don't already have a multi-track system, but from your post it sounds like that's not the case.

As has been pointed out, lossless .wav files are BIG, figure about 10 mb per minute of music, so have a lot of real estate available on your storage drive, and if you plan on processing the digital files a fast cpu and plenty of ram help a lot.

It's worth the effort, especially if you have a lot of albums that have not been re-released in a digital format. Frankly, if there is a digital version commercially available, buy it, as you'll never be able to reproduce the nuances from your vinyl compared to what a studio engineer can do from the master tapes.

Go to Costco...buy the turntable that connects to your computer via USB. Burn to CD...simple.

-Fetter

This process produced the worst sounding reproduction ...... seriously, and I was hoping it would work well as I was just about ready to purchase one.

Hey Jay, any good Blues in those dusty vinyls? :whistling:

Does your soundcard or Goldwave compensate for the RIAA equalization curve needed for LPs?

I've been doing this with my parents old Jazz albums and it works out well.

I've fed the audio out from the turntable to the 'in' jack on the computer and recorded each session using 'Goldwave'

Rob