• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Travel Humidor Season

Mike_D

Question for the experienced travelers on the site.

For Christmas I got a nifty 10 count, Colibri travel humidor same one as here:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/cotrhu.html

It is fully cedar lined. The black top model.

Should I keep this baby humidified?

Should I season it at all?

Should I just throw my sticks in there before the trip and juice the included humidifer?

Should I juice it a week before each trip?

Found similar posts but with travel humi's with no or very little cedar. Don't know if it being fully cedar lined makes a difference or not.

Thanks in advance.

I only season mine when I am about to travel for over a few days.

For example, I am leaving the country for about a week. I will season it by damping distilled water into the wood a few time in the next couple days. Then travel with a bodeva pouch in it.

I do not keep it constant though. There is no point unless you are constantly traveling with it IMOP.

Those are good models though. If you ever have a problem with them you can send it right back to Colibri and they will probably just send you a new one.

Hope I helped.

ENJOY!

Edit to add: You could probably do a search on this too.

I only season mine when I am about to travel for over a few days.

I will season it by damping distilled water into the wood a few time in the next couple days. Then travel with a bodeva pouch in it.

Excellent advice!

I would, frankly, IGNORE any built in humidification device in a case that size. I travel with a tupperdor, and have found that well sealed, no additional humidification is needed . . . and when I get all OCD about it and include a freshly charged water pillow anyway, my cigars get over-rH'd and smoke poorly.

Remember, most of the humidity stability is in the cigars themselves. The only thing you want to avoid is having the cedar lining be so parched it "dryboxes" your cigars. A wipedown and a Boveda at your preferred smoking rH is much better than oversoaking the puck that case comes with and ending up with soggy cigars.

~Boar

I knew I could count on the experts on this site for some guidance. Thank you guys.

I will probably only use it once a month, so this is perfect. I was going to set it up and keep a few stogies in it regularly to force me to monitor it. Now that I know I will be ok getting it set a few days before I go, it is a lot better for me.

Anthem, thanks for the comment about the box. I was told it was actually the display model as they didn't have any new in boxes. Good to know if there are any problems that Colibri will take care of it. It looks perfect though & lets out that rush of air if you drop the lid...good seal it appears.

Nice Person...hahaha....great advice too. So you suggest I get rid of the little floral foam humidifier? But it looks so nice with the colibri lion!!! I have some heartfelt beads left over...maybe if I can find a bag small enough I will just stick them in there instead.

Thank you both again.

I use an Otterbox Cigar Caddy, but it is really all the same. I generally keep cigars in mine all the time as I take it out with me almost every day.
I just keep a 65% Boveda pack in side and I have never had an issues.

Dave

I use a larger one, I'm not sure who makes it as I got it as a gift, this is it though:

http://www.cigarextras.com/index.asp?PageA...amp;ProdID=2184

Almost all of these types (probably including yours) come with a little round humidity puck and then are foam lined everywhere else. I put a Boveda 69 under the bottom piece of foam and then pulled the puck and replaced it with a 30 dollar round digital hygro. The boveda lasts for around six months and the hygro seems to think it stays 69, so I always just leave it in action. I'll sometimes leave 5-10 sticks in there for a couple months at a time. So, I think it's certainly worthwhile for you to throw a Boveda and digital hygro in yours and then just let it sit. Even without the hygro, the boveda should keep it just right.