• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Traveling with cigars

oke&coke

Shut up baby I know it!
I am taking my first real vacation in a long time to NJ and Penn so will be taking a bunch of sticks with me. What would be a good way to take them along? My first thought was to get a travel humi. However just yesterday I grabbed a 50 count wood humi for $16 with the thought of using that. If it gets dinged I won't complain. I was going to put as many as possible into ziplocs and stuff any empty space with newspaper. For humidity I was going to use a humicare slim I got as a freebie. Also any issues with taking cigars in carry on? Don't want the tsa to say it looks like dynamite and has to be checked.

I travel with my 5 count Herfador all the time in my carry on.  Never had any issues, even through Customs.  I have found the "random inspection" ticket inside my checked luggage every single damn time I've put it in there, though.  As long as they are NC's, I would load up in your carry on.  You clear Ag in Honolulu and there is no Customs to clear in the mainland.  

Never had an issue with carry-on.   There are some good travel humidors but if taking about 20+ sticks I think you've got it right,  cigar box, travel pack and if you can put the whole thing in another ziploc it should be good.

Stupid question: I am flying to Disney on Sunday. I want to take my travel 5 stick cigar caddy as a carry on. Do you not take a lighter? Or does the lighter get through without a problem?

You dont take a lighter, buy a cheap torch lighter at a smoke shop (head shop) or tabacconist while there. You can roll the dice and pack it in a checked bag, but make sure it's empty.

Thanks. I will leave mine at home. I don't know if there is a place there on the resort. I might throw some matches in my check in.

Butane lighters need to be empty or in an approved container. Bics and the sort can be in your carryon without issue. 

I haven't had any issues with basic cutters, either. Just make sure it's not a multi-tool type with a pick or blade. 

Horseshoe said:
Thanks. I will leave mine at home. I don't know if there is a place there on the resort. I might throw some matches in my check in.

I used to go to Downtown Disney a lot and smoke a cigar at Sosa Family cigars.  Nice store, good drinks and used to have nice folks there as well.

golfgar said:

I used to go to Downtown Disney a lot and smoke a cigar at Sosa Family cigars.  Nice store, good drinks and used to have nice folks there as well.
We are going to go down town Disney the first night for some sea food joint my wife wants to try. I might have to stop in and check it out.

Thanks.

I travel all the time with cigars and accessories. They don't hassle me for cigars at all. Put a Bic in your pocket and an inexpensive torch in your toiletry bag. Always get through that way for me. Cutters are allowed at all the airports I have gone through... 

Thanks for all of the info.  Will keep it in mind when I pack.

I used to have problems all the time with my cutter, for some reason. Got to the point where I'd print out the page from the TSA site where it specifically said cigar cutters are allowed, would highlight it, and pack the paper in my travel humi. Last two years, however, no problems when going on my summer vacations.

TSA took my torch out of my checked baggage when I flew from Germany to Hawaii a few months ago. I traveled with my Herfador in my carry on no problems. Wife travels with a Bic in her pocket routinely. In fact, flew back to Hawaii from Orlando today with my cigars in my backpack. No issues with my Xikar cutter, either.

I have a 15 count Cigar Caddy that does the trick. I fly with pipes more often than cigars. Occasionally they take a good look at my pipe tool, but they've never given me a hard time. They are pretty strict about tourch lighters. I use a Zippo for my pipes, so I just use that to light my cigars when I travel.

I also use a Cigar Caddy when traveling and never had any big issues.

Only issue I have is if the plane overheads are too full and the caddy is in a suitcase, sometimes it's gets checked at the gate. The altitude and pressure really create a tight seal. I've wounded myself pretty good trying to open it. Ha.

Can I leave my cigar caddy in my carry on bag, or is it best to pull it out? I put one book of paper matches in the travel humidor.

Leave cigars in bag.  TSA doesn't care about it.  It doesn't matter if it's CCs either.  That's Customs job, not TSA.  Leave your torch lighter at home unless you want to risk it.  Unless it's in one of those fancy containers linked by Blindedbyscience, you can't take 'em.  Even if you do get one of those fancy cases, it's only for checked bags, not for carry ons.  You can take cigar cutters, but I recommend you also make a print out of the TSA site where it states that cigar cutters are okay as insurance.