• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tried my first Monte2 today...

hermit11

Chris
... and it was plugged #$%@!!!!! :angry:
Its the first time having a plugged cigar as bad as this one. Man was it frustrating!
I've tried everything hoping it might get better, but had to put it down after 30 minutes of trying to save this sucker.. :(
I'll give another try later this week, and if I run into another plugged sucker I'm quiting cubans!!

One of my favorites, but then again, I've never had one plugged. What's the age?

One of my favorites, but then again, I've never had one plugged. What's the age?

None~ LOL
Got bit impatient.. Oh well.. I'm still a newb~ :laugh:

Damn.. Kinda scared to smoke another one since I said I'll quit if its plugged.. :sign:

I've had a plugged one as well. Don't judge all cubans by this cigar since it is produced in huge quantities and at several factories, the consistancy is just not there. I'd have trouble grabbing a box of these for that reason. I have had some really great monte 2's as well but I only pick out the odd nice single from a b & m place. In this shape I'd go with a partagas p2 over the monte any day.

Plugged cigars are the price of admission. Sooner or later you're going to get a plugged cigar.

If this was one of several from the same box try putting them in lower rh. Say around 62/63 for about a month and see if that helps them any. The higher humidity swells the leaf and compounds the problem. Some cigars there's just no helping,

Sucks!

I have had the absolute worst luck with Monte 2's! I bought 5r's 3 times on forums and each time they ended up being fakes. My neighbor went on vacation and said he could get em for me....again fakes. I broke down and bought a box from a reliable source....attempted to smoke 2 and they were plugged beyond repair. I figgered with so many other preemo sticks out there that the god's must not want me to smoke one, so I haven't and quit trying to boot!

Nothin like a nail.... Welcome to the club.

Ain't the 1st and won't be the last plugged stick I get, but I'll be damned if I chase Monte 2's anymore. Especially with the Edmundo's smoking with not a lick of problem.

At about $18-19 the "Draw Poker" is easily the best money I have ever spent it has saved me me hundreds of dollars and a sore jaw several times and paid for itself the second time I used it!!! It does not make a plugged smoke perfect but it definitely makes a plugged draw smokeable.

Lay the others down for a little nap and check your RH. You might even want to dry box them for a day or two before you smoke them. Oh, and check the draw before you light the stick - might help you avoid the frustration. If it's not ready, it might need some more time in the humi.

I tried the first (and only Monte 2) I've ever had this past Feb in Cuba. It was loose as hell. I mean I like a slightly loose draw but this was ridiculous. Every slight puff I'd take would fill my mouth with a ton of smoke. I was smoking up the entire bar even my brother in law was complaining and he's a cigar smoker. I didn't try another and didn't buy any despite all the great reviews people give it. I went with the Edmundo which I found to be perfect. :thumbs:

Good timing for this post, I have some that just came in and I was going to fire one up this evening. I think it shall rest a little longer.

I have smoked 5 or 6 of the #2s and all have been absolutely terrific. I feel your pain, I had a Partagas that was plugged so tight that I sucked my underwear up my ass trying to get some smoke :) , but once I got past the plug(with the help of a nail) and changed my underwear, it was a great smoke.

Good luck on the next one.

Ken

Good timing for this post, I have some that just came in and I was going to fire one up this evening. I think it shall rest a little longer.

I have smoked 5 or 6 of the #2s and all have been absolutely terrific. I feel your pain, I had a Partagas that was plugged so tight that I sucked my underwear up my ass trying to get some smoke :) , but once I got past the plug(with the help of a nail) and changed my underwear, it was a great smoke.

Good luck on the next one.

Ken

I think yours and mine are from the same box.. :laugh:
I'm going to wait a little more and try dry boxing before I light another one up~

Let me know how yours was.

What RH% did you store at? Aging also helps these immensely as cigars are rolled wet and must be rested so they dry up a little prior to smoking.

What RH% did you store at? Aging also helps these immensely as cigars are rolled wet and must be rested so they dry up a little prior to smoking.

Around 65%, but didn't give too much time in my humi though.. Just 2 days.
I'll give it another go couple days later. I might try dry boxing first.

I've had a plugged one as well. Don't judge all cubans by this cigar since it is produced in huge quantities and at several factories, the consistancy is just not there. I'd have trouble grabbing a box of these for that reason.

I agree completely re: the inconsistency of the Monte 2's (and also 4's). I'm lucky enough to not enjoy the taste profile of these cigars, even when on.

My first experience with a #2 was similar. I pulled two out of a box for me and a friend. His was on, mine was very tight. Two weeks later I tried another, and it was amazing.

I've got a box of ten that I haven't broken in to yet, will have to try one out tomorrow.

Like others have said, dry-boxing it is a real good option.

Question :

I have my desktop humi reading 63% right now.
What is the recommended time for dry boxing before you light one up?
Do I just stick the cigar in a dry box or should I stick a heated cedar block in the dry box with the cigar? ( I think I read the heated cedar block thing somewhere..)