• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tried my first Port tonight

bilder

Been reading this forum for awhile and thought I would see if all the talk about Port was true.

Bought a bottle of Sandemans Tawny and am enjoying a glass right now. I like wine and brandy, but port seems to be the best of both worlds. Nice flavor, not too harsh, a touch of sweet which is nice.

I can see why some of you like it with your cigars.

First cigars, now booze. You guys are gonna get me in trouble! :)

Been reading this forum for awhile and thought I would see if all the talk about Port was true.

Bought a bottle of Sandemans Tawny and am enjoying a glass right now. I like wine and brandy, but port seems to be the best of both worlds. Nice flavor, not too harsh, a touch of sweet which is nice.

I can see why some of you like it with your cigars.

First cigars, now booze. You guys are gonna get me in trouble! :)

You got that right .... glad you enjoyed it :thumbs:

:cool:

Just wait until you get caught by the Scotch bug!

I have yet to try a good Port. I bought some cheap stuff several years ago to cook with (roast goose w/ Port wine giblet gravy yummmm!), it wasn't bad, but not something I really enjoyed.

I'll try and find a decent bottle one of these days and try again.

Cigars and Port - probably my favorite pairing. Scotch is definately my go to drink but IMO it doesn't seem to compliment a cigar quite like a good port.

Gandolf, I am with you on the Scotch, I got bit early since my Dad is a Scotch drinker. Mucch like cigars, I think purchasing a good port makes all the difference in the world. Also, as a general rule with liquors: if you cook with it, you probably shouldn't drink it! :laugh: I like a good tawny port from time to time and one I found tasty was Cockburns 10 year tawny port. Its not expensive but its not cheap either, chill a bottle and giive it a spin and see what you think. Port can be pretty tasty. I think its best to have after a nice heavy meal such as a steak just sitting in your favorite chair or on the couch afterwards. Smoked a 1926 Maddie with a glass of port once. Bad Idea!! Was such a good pairing I had to keep it paired and drank about 3/4 of the bottle! Hahaha!!

Gandolf, I am with you on the Scotch, I got bit early since my Dad is a Scotch drinker. Mucch like cigars, I think purchasing a good port makes all the difference in the world. Also, as a general rule with liquors: if you cook with it, you probably shouldn't drink it! :laugh: I like a good tawny port from time to time and one I found tasty was Cockburns 10 year tawny port. Its not expensive but its not cheap either, chill a bottle and giive it a spin and see what you think. Port can be pretty tasty. I think its best to have after a nice heavy meal such as a steak just sitting in your favorite chair or on the couch afterwards. Smoked a 1926 Maddie with a glass of port once. Bad Idea!! Was such a good pairing I had to keep it paired and drank about 3/4 of the bottle! Hahaha!!

Who the hell came up with that name?

Holy Samollley! Well, I mean, I usually keep a bottle of Louis XIII on hand for my Banana and Ice Cream Flambe...but!.... :rolleyes:

Sheemany, I didn't mean to offend. I will stand by my rule as I like to cook and drink, AVB, a good exception and awesome recipe brother! Thanks for the linky, I will use it at my first cookout in the spring!

Devil Doc, I have absolutely no argument with you on that! I think both of our statements can stand true actually. If you can't drink it, you probably shouldn't cook with it HOWEVER, if it is basically cooking quality, I normall wouldn't serve it to my guests. My whole point was that a good spirit should be enjoyed and have some quality IMHO.

And lastly Bfree! LOL! I had a difficult time myself first trying it for fear of hearing someone say in a crowded room (dare I use the term 'closet' drinker...so many unintended puns in this as it is already!): "Heyyy!! How does that Cockburn taste??!" But it is a pretty quality, average port, nothing special but good enough!

One of the exceptions to the rule. :whistling:

Also, as a general rule with liquors: if you cook with it, you probably shouldn't drink it!
Actually the rule is if you can't drink it, don't cook with it.

Doc.

Yep, bad booze equals bad eats.

Don't you guys watch Alton Brown? Good Eats is a great show! :)

You should try an aged tawny or even splurge a little more and buy a vintage port generally 94 and 98 were two of the better years for vintage ports, and you can generally find an 20 year old aged tawny for about 30 dollars and up.

Holy Samollley! Well, I mean, I usually keep a bottle of Louis XIII on hand for my Banana and Ice Cream Flambe...but!.... :rolleyes:

Louis XIII? :love:

Please send me directions to your house so I can join you for cocktails! :D

"if you cook with it, you probably shouldn't drink it"

Indeed as noted elsewhere, if you shouldn't drink it, you shouldn't cook with it. It really isn't so that both rules are true or alike.

By only cooking with wine you would drink, it obviates the need for such a caution as yours.

I have had diasagreements with folks who say you should cook with what you will be drinking. Never am I pouring premium Burgundy into a stewpot.

I note that you say later you will keep your rule because you like to cook and to drink. What? I don't see what one idea (the bad one about cooking with wine unsuited to drinking) has to do with the other. I don't know if you remember the Galloping Gourmet when he wasn't health conscious - always, always a slosh for the cook, from the bottle used to cook.

As to Porto, first let me say that 1998 was not a generally declared vintage. A few single vineyard wines were made, but they will not be easily found.

Another style to look into is Late Bottled Vintage or LBV. Possibly the best bargains vis a vis price/quality ratio - unless you look away from Portugal. Australia has a great and well-deserved reputation as a maker of tawny ports which are well worth investigating.

Re: Mazuran's

Hey, any wine that I can put a personalized label on has got to be good.

Re: Mazuran's

Hey, any wine that I can put a personalized label on has got to be good.

LOL!!!

:cool:
ROLMFAO
check out their web site mates they have some of the best port you will ever taste.they used to supply the royal family and got an OBE for services to port wino's(ie King George) and are the only port producers in the world which still use a three grape blend.Well worth the purchase, and I am sure you can buy it in the states as they have recently won various gold medals over there

Although I had never seen their web-site and their offer to personalize a label for me, I believe I have actually heard/read of this Port before and that the things I heard were nothing but very good.

"the only port producers in the world which still use a three grape blend" I am not quite sure this is true. Further, if it is true, should it make any difference to a drinker of Nacional (f'rinstnace) that it is made from a single varietal?

Although I had never seen their web-site and their offer to personalize a label for me, I believe I have actually heard/read of this Port before and that the things I heard were nothing but very good.

"the only port producers in the world which still use a three grape blend" I am not quite sure this is true. Further, if it is true, should it make any difference to a drinker of Nacional (f'rinstnace) that it is made from a single varietal?
I think the three grape thing is a blend from a very old style of port which has been dropped by most vintners to go to a dryer taste.
I will have to ask them next time I go to stock up my cabinet.

Just tried my first port this past weekend, I'm sure to the expert it sucks, but I thought it was good, pretty sweet though.

It was Six Grapes.