• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Trigger locks

gunvault makes good product for a small handgun safe. Ray, I agree with you but that being said I can get into my gunvault in less then 2 seconds no problem, which isn't much longer then it would take me to open a drawer.

Ditto. I have a small pistol vault that sits on my night stand, well within reach. I can have it open and be armed in 3-4 seconds.

The type of lock and/or safe you need is dependent upon what your goals/needs are. If you have a single handgun, and aren't worried about intruders, a cable lock or trigger lock should be fine with little ones. If you've got several long guns then you might be better off with a safe. Just do what's right for you and your situation.

Most of my firearms are in a 600lb safe bolted to the floor in an upstairs room. That said, an unchambered 1911 with the safety up makes me feel safe enough for a bed-side drawer.

My kids are all older and out of the house, have been trained and can field strip, shoot, etc. They never once messed with a firearm without permission, but knew how to access some (I have one hidden in almost every room) if there was a need.

Still, I have always felt the weapon was more secure if it required the safety coming off and racking the slide (except when carried or well concealed). I may feel differently when we start having grand children visiting.

I agree with you for the "excess" but the one I carry and keep on the bed stand is not locked.

No history of paranoia in your family is there?

(I have one hidden in almost every room) if there was a need.

(I have one hidden in almost every room) if there was a need.

I follow the same procedure, you never know where you are going to be when you need a firearm. You may be watching TV in the living room, and someone breaks the front door window, you may not be able to make it to the bedroom before a confrontation erupts!

A daytime break-in while you, a man, are home. Just where do you people live and how did you corner the market on the stupid criminals?

No history of paranoia in your family is there?

A daytime break-in while you, a man, are home. Just where do you people live and how did you corner the market on the stupid criminals?

My neighborhood is safe, but I see home break-ins (day time or night) happening in the news 10-20 miles from here. It's not about me (home or not). I like knowing anyone in my family has a gun in the room should they need it.

Affluent neighborhoods make for a target-rich environment. Especially when you have a village full of "I live in a safe neighborhood" mentalities.

Home invasions happen any time of the day or night. Many actually occur when someone *isn't* supposed to be home... i.e., the middle of the day.

*EDIT* At home I had a firearm on my person when dressed. At nigh I much prefer to have a shotgun and good Surefire near the bed.

I had a nice conversation with my wife about this last night. She reminded me of something that happened about a month ago.

I was at work, my wife was in our kitchen when the doorbell rang. She headed to the door and noticed two unfamiliar people standing on our front porch. Instead of opening the door, she used the intercom. The couple (a man and woman) is offering to clean our carpets for a reasonable price. My wife asks them if they can see the “No Soliciting” sign next to the door, and they left.

Best-case scenario, they were honestly looking to clean carpets but were maybe functionally illiterate and that is the last my wife sees of them.

Beginning of not-so-good scenarios: They figure a woman using the intercom to talk to people on the front porch must be home alone. They circle the neighborhood and end up at our back door. We have an alarm system that chimes, but where is my wife when they enter the house?

If she is near the front door, she leaves the house screaming like a banshee. If she is near one of the two security key pads, she hits the police button, grabs a firearm, and hides. If she can’t make it to a pad, she goes to the nearest (bedroom, bathroom, etc.), closes the door, gets the firearm hidden in that room, and hunkers down.

I’m not naive enough to think the second scenarios could not still turn out very badly, but at least I believe my wife or daughter could complicate somebody’s not well thought out plans.

Is that paranoid? I don't feel paranoid. I feel proud of my wife for not opening the door to strangers. I feel lucky to have enough small firearms to hide around the house. I don't know, maybe I'm paranoid. :thumbs:

Great info, all. I was after informed opinions and got them! As it seems whenever I log onto to CP, I learned something.

Thanks all!

In the dark in the middle of the night?

Mine has a 4 button electric lock and I can open it in the dark in about 3 seconds. I have practiced many times. What I can't practice is opening it when I am scared. Odds are, I won't ever find out and that would be fine with me. An Easton softball bat is a damn fine weapon as well!

I'm kind of partial to Louisville Sluggers, but I'm old school.

Doc

Glock 23. .40 cal. 13+1 rounds. Light. Laser. Check it every week. Take it to the range once a month. Practice, practice, and more practice. In a quick access safe in the bedroom.

I'm comfortable.....

I keep one handy (carry), the rest in a safe. Mace in every room and a nice home security system. I like to think I'm protecting my cigars but maybe I am paranoid......

Glock 23, Glock 26, Ruger LC9 and a Ruger SR22. Always have 3 put away safely and 1 ready to go. Burglars won't offer you the courtesy of letting you get ready to combat them. :whistling:

I've been looking into safes, both to hold my firearms and important paperwork and valuables. But for now, a PX4 Storm .40 14+1 with 5,000+ rounds cycled through it. Practice is your best line of defense as BBS said, I draw pictures at the range Lethal Weapon style.

I used key locks on my firearms. Dont have any hand gun since it's pain to obtain one here but then again my 'hood' and city are pretty crime free (talking about violent crime here, yes there are stills bike getting stolen but then again.)

I pity the guy who breaks in while I'm there. The benelli is right around the closet with everything I need to make him brand new butt holes :D