• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Trinidad Fundadores

Fyodor

I smoked one of my Fundadores form 00 from a five pack I received (thanks, you know who you are). There has been a lot of negative press about Habanos from the year 2000 and I just wanted to say this cigar smoked perfectly. Most of the issues brought up about the cigars from 2000 are mainly about construction and not the actual tobacco. Lancero's are especially prone to draw issues. I was very cautious, I felt it for hard spots which it had none and after clipping it checked the pre-light draw. It seemed a little stiff but not too bad so I lit it anyway. It ended up drawing perfectly just a bit of resistance like it should be. I should also note that my humidor is at 65% RH. Of course I enjoyed the flavor but it is definitely a subtle cigar and not for everyone. If you primarily like overwhelming cigars like Opus X and VSG's this may not be for you. It was very elegant and refined. It's necessary to smoke slow because of the very slim ring gauge. I matched it with a Red Burgundy and enjoyed myself completely. However, one cigar is certainly not enough to judge the whole year by but if they all smoke similar to this I would recommend buying a box. I will let you guys know if any of the other four have draw issues. Who knows maybe Trinidads are exempt from the curse that seems to plague so many 2000 Cubans.

That's very good to hear! I agree about being a subtle cigar. In the future I plan on smoking these in a slightly more refined arena than a golf course. I enjoyed the hell out mine, don't get me wrong, however it certainly didn't get the attention that it deserved, and the foursome behind me was getting pissed cause I kept standing over the ball waiting to hit while I enjoyed the moment!

Gonz said:
That's very good to hear! I agree about being a subtle cigar. In the future I plan on smoking these in a slightly more refined arena than a golf course. I enjoyed the hell out mine, don't get me wrong, however it certainly didn't get the attention that it deserved, and the foursome behind me was getting pissed cause I kept standing over the ball waiting to hit while I enjoyed the moment!
[snapback]298451[/snapback]​

Gonz, after reading this review, and knowing what I do about the smoke, I was going to send you a Pm asking how the golfcourse fundie went.
Myself, i like to smoke something sufficiently strong and full bodied to distract me from my golf game...yes, it is that bad.

Well, like I said above the fundadore was great, but I still ended up shooting 90! :0

Hoping the one I was gifted goes the same as yours, just waiting for the right day. :blush:

I've had a few of these too and haven't really had any rolling problems. One I gifted to somebody had a tight draw for the first third, then opened up and smoked perfectly the rest of the way. IMO, they're a good smoke with a bad rep (the year anyway).

In the future I plan on smoking these in a slightly more refined arena than a golf course.

Well, like I said above the fundadore was great, but I still ended up shooting 90!

I know the feeling - what do you look for first after driving the ball, the cigar or the T. Shooting 90 while nursing a cigar is a good score. Afterall, you were not concentrating for at least 3 holes :angry:

I've had fewer draw problems with Fundies than I have with CoLa's... still, the taste is nice, but nothing that inspires me to buy more. I can see how people with different tastes would love 'em tho.

I'm on my second box of 98's and they are fantastic. I agree with the subtle flavors and it may not be for everyone, but I absolutley love these cigars.

One of my all time favorite smokes (from any year). I have never had a poorly constructed one and I, too, have smoked a good number from '00. Trinis in general are on the top of my list.

Very nice review Fyodor. This is one Trini (one of my fav brands) that I haven't tried yet. The reason behind it is that with Lanceros you have to exhibit certain care/patience when smoking one as you (and others) mentioned. This is perhaps the reason for my aversion to this kind of vitola. From what I hear many attest this is utterly my loss.

Fyodor said:
I smoked one of my Fundadores form 00 from a five pack I received (thanks, you know who you are). There has been a lot of negative press about Habanos from the year 2000 and I just wanted to say this cigar smoked perfectly. Most of the issues brought up about the cigars from 2000 are mainly about construction and not the actual tobacco. Lancero's are especially prone to draw issues. I was very cautious, I felt it for hard spots which it had none and after clipping it checked the pre-light draw. It seemed a little stiff but not too bad so I lit it anyway. It ended up drawing perfectly just a bit of resistance like it should be. I should also note that my humidor is at 65% RH. Of course I enjoyed the flavor but it is definitely a subtle cigar and not for everyone. If you primarily like overwhelming cigars like Opus X and VSG's this may not be for you. It was very elegant and refined. It's necessary to smoke slow because of the very slim ring gauge. I matched it with a Red Burgundy and enjoyed myself completely. However, one cigar is certainly not enough to judge the whole year by but if they all smoke similar to this I would recommend buying a box. I will let you guys know if any of the other four have draw issues. Who knows maybe Trinidads are exempt from the curse that seems to plague so many 2000 Cubans.
[snapback]298429[/snapback]​

There is a lot of information and discussion about the draw but tell us about the flavors and more about the elegant and refined character. Tastes great less filling? :laugh:

The Trini Fundadores is one of Cubas best cigars.It's rich coffee like flavors are present from the first inch to the last. It is medium in strength and the nose is quite nice. I have smoked somewhere around 8-9 boxes over the years and everyone has been outstanding. I can count the number of plugged cigars on one hand and that includes 99 and 00 boxes.

Recent boxes i.e 2003 and 2004 show the same outstanding tobacco that earlier releases have had. I recently bought 4 boxes of 04's and the sample I smoked was fantastic. It had no hints of bitterness even at the nub.