• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Trinidad Ingenios are out

jeht2000

bodybuilder for life
As stated in the title, the Trinidad Ingenios is out (expensive of course) who's going to try these?

As stated in the title, the Trinidad Ingenios is out (expensive of course) who's going to try these?

I will be buying a box when they are cheaper. Only Swiss vendors and one or two other European vendors have these as of now that I am aware of. For the kind of money they are going for, I'd rather buy another box or two of the Cohiba Piramides '06.

Exactly! I'm sure in a few months they will be much cheaper.Look at what happen with the Bolivar GM, the Cohiba M5, and especially the Cohiba piramid.

I haven't tried one yet, but initial reports aren't positive on the Ingenios.

Just tried my first tonight. I dry-boxed it for a day after receiving the box a little over two weeks ago. Impressions are this: Very much like a Fundadore with a little spice and chocolate that can be attributed to the wrapper. Medium-Full bodied throughout and great construction like all Trinidads. Cream, cedar, and leather are predominantly what I experienced throughout....not a whole of complexity, but that will change in a year or so.

Not a very inspired cigar, certainly not as approachable young as the Reyes/Colonials or '06 ELs at this point. While not bad, I won't be having another probably for at least a year and a half. Similar enough to a young Fundadore to inspire hope for the future, these were meant for some serious aging.

Just tried my first tonight. I dry-boxed it for a day after receiving the box a little over two weeks ago. Impressions are this: Very much like a Fundadore with a little spice and chocolate that can be attributed to the wrapper. Medium-Full bodied throughout and great construction like all Trinidads. Cream, cedar, and leather are predominantly what I experienced throughout....not a whole of complexity, but that will change in a year or so.

Not a very inspired cigar, certainly not as approachable young as the Reyes/Colonials or '06 ELs at this point. While not bad, I won't be having another probably for at least a year and a half. Similar enough to a young Fundadore to inspire hope for the future, these were meant for some serious aging.
I think this bodes well for the long term performance of these cigars. There is such a weightiness to the aroma that I suspect the raw materials for decade-long development are in ample supply.

Now I simply MUST burn one tomorrow. Maybe before lunch.

Thanks for the review, Mike. :thumbs:

Wilkey

So since I'm not a fan of Trinidads, I guess I can skip this one. Thanks for the review, Mike!

IMHO, I derive more pleasure from the Reyes than the Coloniales or the Robusto Extra.

But I do like the Trini flavor! :thumbs:

Today I smoked one from a box of PUB SEP07.

My bottom line impression: This is a cigar full of power and substance and a paradox of floral, aromatic depth that will need years to unwind.

As has been said before about other cigars, it would almost be a waste to smoke these now. The first 1" was full of peppery, heavy cedar character. Not quite nose hair curling but even more potent than young Reyes. To be honest, I didn't recognize it as being a Trinidad. The middle third was very dense, concentrated pure tobacco with a heavy, heavy mouthfeel even smoking in my garage at 36F. The in-air aroma was clinging and intensely aromatic as opposed to the piercing strength from the first 1-2". Throughout the second half, the cigar delivered an increasingly potent aromatic, floral, almost perfumed punch when expelled nasally that I've only experienced in one other Trinidad, the Torre Iznaga from last year's book humidor release. My impression was that it was even more pronounced and powerful than in the Torre Iznaga, which I considered to be a very smooth, deceptively nic-loaded cigar.

Overall, I feel good about laying these down for the long term. It would be worthwhile to try one now just to see how they are newborn, but their magic will only reveal themselves as the years march on.

Wilkey

Thanks for the review and your thoughts Wilkey. I should have paid more attention to the aroma on mine, but I could not detect anything discernible. I agree with you, this will be a fantastic cigar far down the road!

Mike,

Maybe you were "off" when you smoked the Trini? Were other cigars you smoked tasting normally? I know that I occasionally go through bouts where I can't taste crap.

I should add that I did not drybox these. They came right out of a box I had had for a week at 67% after receipt. They were noticeably pliant to the touch. I suspect these things are very, very oily. The reason I say this is that I leave the stubs in my ashtray on the front porch. Usually, a few hours later, the cigar is dry and brittle as a leaf, especially in this weather. However, 3.5 hours after I put this one out, I felt the stub and it was still plaint. If this were due to moisture in the leaf, it would have been all gone after 210 minutes in mid-30 degree winter weather. This was very unusual.

Wilkey

Thanks for the review and your thoughts Wilkey. I should have paid more attention to the aroma on mine, but I could not detect anything discernible. I agree with you, this will be a fantastic cigar far down the road!

Out of curiosity, what makes you think so?

I don't think these will change all that much in the near future, but might be a better cigar in about 10-12 years from the sound of it. Cigars don't change that much in such a short time...and I'm not into getting a box of cigars that I have to wait that long to smoke.

Mike,

Maybe you were "off" when you smoked the Trini? Were other cigars you smoked tasting normally? I know that I occasionally go through bouts where I can't taste crap.

Wilkey, I was just saying that there wasn't anything in the aroma that popped out at me. The cigar itself was a bit closed in terms of flavors, and this might have been either my taste buds or the cigar itself. I haven't had a cigar since the Ingenios, so I will have to have one today and see if my buds are outta whack :cool:

Out of curiosity, what makes you think so?

I think the quality of tobacco used is that of extremely good quality and that is apparent just on first smell of the box. Also, I really equated the ingenios with a young fundadore at this stage, but with a little more fuller body and more spice. I think it will turn out to be a more fuller, spicy cigar that will compliment the cream and cedar usually associated with the Trinidad line. Actually, it may turn out to be more similar to a well aged Ramon Allones than a Trinidad.

Mike,

Wilkey, I was just saying that there wasn't anything in the aroma that popped out at me. The cigar itself was a bit closed in terms of flavors, and this might have been either my taste buds or the cigar itself. I haven't had a cigar since the Ingenios, so I will have to have one today and see if my buds are outta whack :cool:
Thanks, Mike. I grok now.

Wilkey

[/quote]
Thanks, Mike. I grok now.

Wilkey
[/quote]

LOl haven't heard that one in a long time. "Grok.." Man from Mars says "I" :blush: