• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Trip to the Dominican Republic

NickDavid

My friends parents are taking a trip to the Dominican Republic...They plan on bringing some cigars back for my friends and i.

What should i ask for....

Where in DomRep are they going? There are very few cigars actually worth buying because true humidors are few and far between.
You can't buy Fuentes inside the country so that is out. You can get Auroa and Leon Jimenez though. These are on the lighter side of medium and a decently tasting cigar.
You can find Cubans if you look around past the fakes. Most of the places will have the fake 'hibas in a box. The places that do sell Cubans have them very moderately priced. I picked up 6 Monte #2's for $11 a piece or so.
Also, Brugal Anejo is the local rum of choice. you can get a handle for $10. It is perfect for rum and cokes. Let them know Presidente is the local brew, fairly potent, and will give you a serious headache the next day.
Every where you go, someone is going to want to be your tour guide. If you don't want one, tell them no repeatedly until they stop following you around. If you don't, at the end of the day, they will expect payment and raise a huge ruckuss! When I go there and am out with the guys, we usually will get a guide. The advantage is he will know where to go to get exactly what you want. Tell you the resaurants not to eat at (good info there), help you barter and negotiate, felp you find just about anything you could ever want. We bought the guy a burger lunch, fed him a beer periodically, and gave him $15 at the end of the night. He was very happy.
One of the guys had his wallet lifted by a working girl and he was able to get it back with everything in it except the cash. Good thing he kept most of his cash in his front pocket.

Emo

emodx said:
One of the guys had his wallet lifted by a working girl and he was able to get it back with everything in it except the cash. Good thing he kept most of his cash in his front pocket.

Emo
[snapback]150932[/snapback]​

You'd think that's the first place she'd look....er, feel.....er, I mean, she was a "working girl", right? :blush: :whistling:

psyktek said:
emodx said:

Emo
[snapback]150932[/snapback]​

You'd think that's the first place she'd look....er, feel.....er, I mean, she was a "working girl", right? :blush: :whistling:
[snapback]150940[/snapback]​
Wouldn't know as I don't partake in that. I just make sure my boy's dont get rolled.

NickDavid said:
My friends parents are taking a trip to the Dominican Republic...They plan on bringing some cigars back for my friends and i.

What should i ask for....
[snapback]150910[/snapback]​

I would be real curious about what the locals smoke, as in sticks that aren't exported. If they could find a local factory...? ???

NickDavid said:
should of seen that coming... i need answers FAST!!! leaving tonight i believe
[snapback]150925[/snapback]​

You will not be able to buy most of the cigars made in the Dominic Republic in the Dominican Republic... because they are created in an export-only free trade zone.

You can find them at the ritzier hotels, but then you'll pay dearly for 'em. Cubans (real ones) are not easily found either, but you can find a LCDH here:

Address : Hotel Meliá Tropical.
Phone : 1809 548 6545
Fax : 1 809 548 6615
EMail : jaag.sa@codetel.net.do

Oryon is the local bundled cigar. Your typical light strength light bodied Dominican. About $15 a bundle. They are ok, but wouldn't pay over $15-$20 a bundle.

Emo

moki said:
NickDavid said:
should of seen that coming... i need answers FAST!!! leaving tonight i believe
[snapback]150925[/snapback]​

You will not be able to buy most of the cigars made in the Dominic Republic in the Dominican Republic... because they are created in an export-only free trade zone.

You can find them at the ritzier hotels, but then you'll pay dearly for 'em. Cubans (real ones) are not easily found either, but you can find a LCDH here:

Address : Hotel Meliá Tropical.
Phone : 1809 548 6545
Fax : 1 809 548 6615
EMail : jaag.sa@codetel.net.do
[snapback]150949[/snapback]​

Moki, sorry, i'm new here... what does LCDH mean?

You can get a **** load of Opus' and other cigars made in the free trade zone only if you know "someone". However, there are many very good local cigars that can be obtained for pennies. All in all it would be better knowing someone in the cigar industry as they would direct you to the good local smokes, Cubans, and those made in the free trade zone.

Jim

JWJ said:
You can get a **** load of Opus' and other cigars made in the free trade zone only if you know "someone".
[snapback]151285[/snapback]​

hehe... too true. ;)

Talk to Emodx personally. I thought of going there too at one time, and he knows a ton about cigars there. He's right though, they usually cost more b/c anything worth buying gets shipped out of the free trade zone and then back in to the D.R. to sell. Ass backwards, but true. you end up paying for it twice!

Back