• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Triple Cap?

Big B

Hey all,
My brother in-law brought me back a Cohiba from the Bahamas on his honeymoon. He doesnt know much about cigars and I just assume that its fake but it was a great thought. This smoke although, does have a beautiful band on it. Actually, if you were just looking at the band I would say that its real. "at least form the pics I have compared it to" The kicker is it has a double cap with a pigtail, not a triple that I can tell. Im about 90% percent sure that all CC have a triple cap but I thought I would ask you knowledgeable folks just in case.

Some Cohibas have a pigtail cap, it depends on the vitola. But all Cohiba's have a triple cap. If it does not, I would venture a safe guess that it was not authentic. Sorry...still...if you enjoyed the smoke...that's all that really matters in the end.

Well I haven't actually smoked it yet. I know that is the real test but I was pretty sure that a double cap on a CC Cohiba is a deal breaker. I also wanted to measure it. Its a little under 6" with a ring at 50 maybe 52. I dont think Cohiba has a smoke that fat with a pigtail cap do they?

The only other cigar is the Behike and I doubt it's one of those :whistling:

You bet, it was nice of them. Wish it was real and although being about 98 percent sure that it was fake I was still hoping for a real Cohiba. Whats your opinions about smoking a fake, yes or no?

I was in a similar situation a few months ago. A buddy came back from Houduras with 1/2 box of Cohibas. While I was doubtful about the authenticity, I didn't say anything, and smoked one with him. It wasn't the worst cigar I ever smoked, but not as good as it should have been, even though it was a little dry.

The next time I saw him a few weeks later, he says 'let's burn one of those Cohibas!' That was when I told him I was almost certain they were fake, and handed him a Bolivar. Needless to say, after we smoked the Bolis he was convinced LOL!

He has since had a real Cohiba, and beyond a doubt agreed with me about the fakes.

So in answer to your question, if it's the first fake you have had the chance to smoke, do it. It's worth the experience just to say you smoked it, and makes you appreciate the real thing (meaning a good cigar, not just ISOM) that much more.

But I wouldn't vouluntarily smoke more than 1 fake!

While I wouldn't go around buying and smoking fakes...I have knowingly smoked a few. To be honest...some really weren't half bad.

I figure I at least need to do if for a learning experience. Not sure what a real Cohiba taste like but Ill know what a fake one does.