• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tropical Fish, anyone have a fish tank?

I have an 1800 gal Koi pond. Does that count. All of the work of a pool, and I can jump in if I'm so inclined.
:D Hell yes it counts!!! Koi are awesome as well.
About ten years ago I was the fish tank boy for the neighbor with a 180 gallon salt tank for sharks and rays. Had a 2 foot leopard, grey shark and a banded shark living happily for years also had a few no sharks. The neighbors son was fascinated by sharks, so all my attempts to make it a reef tank failed. Sharks are just too aggro for delicate reef animals.
I agree sharks are a little rough on a reef, I have only seen one successful reef with a shark in Oregon about 8 years ago. Do you still have your 180? Will setup a reef in the future?
Hey Rsaavedra, great pics! All the fun of SCUBA diving without gearing up!

I've had a couple of fresh water fish tanks over the years. The last go-round of fish ended about ten years ago. The fish tank sat empty in my daughter's room for a while and then somehow we ended up with 2 pet rats. The domestic kind (we bought them at the pet store for $2 each). They were adorable! The kids thought it was big fun to get them out at parties and walk around with them sitting on their shoulder.

Hey CC, maybe you could caulk up the floorboards and doorseams of one your Jags and make an aquarium out of it! How cool would that be? :laugh:

edits:typos
Come on bro get back in gear and setup a reef, I'll help out I promise.
here's my fish tank
grouper02.jpg
actually, my 10yo got a 10g tank 2 weeks ago, and we've had fun, so far, prolly upgrade tanks soon
I think your tank needs a bit more water and you should upgrade tanks they look a little cramp in there :) As far as your daughters tank she should get a 180 or a 210 :laugh:
We had a 40 gallon tank set up with a single 5-6" Jack Demsey Ciclid. He was a lot of fun, coming up to the top whenever we came near, hoping to get some food. We decided to treat him with some feeder goldfish a few months ago. It appears that they were diseased because he got sick and I had to euthanize him. :( I'm thinking about setting up the tank again once the holidays are over. Probably try to make a diverse tropical set-up. :thumbs:
Ciclids are awesome I have a friend who has an amazing ciclid setup, good luck to you.
Beautiful set up rsaavedra. Reef tanks are a wonderful hobby.

I have been into tripical fish since I was eight years old. Started with fresh water fish and have progressed to a 130 gallon reef tank. While I don't profess to be an expert, I do agree that bigger is better. It takes longer for thing to change in a larger volume of water than a smaller one thus giving you time to recognize a problem before it turns into a disaster.

Maintenance, if done religously, is not that bad. If you can spend 5 - 15 minutes a day, 30 minutes every week end, and one, sometimes two hours once a month, you should be abel to keep a very healthy aquarium. Also, technology is constantly improving and making reef keeping easier every day.

The initial expense of a reef aquairum is higher than a fish only tank. However, you can start with fish only and over time add the equipment needed for a reef. I have been building my system for well over ten years. One of the most important, and most expensive items is lighting. Again, more is better, except for your electric bill.

There are many good books on the subject and a wealth of information on the internet. Just as with cigars, there are many on line retailers that offer very good prices on equipment. Some also offer fish and corals. I prefer the B&M stores for my livestock. Something about seeing exactly what you are getting.

I think I will shut up here before I go on and on. Suffice it to say that an aquarium is as relaxing as a good cigar. Plus the wife and kids can enjoy it as well.
Thanks for your comments and right on the dot, excellent advice everything you said is the truth
Yup, 72g bow in my office. Reef set up with PC lights so only softies for me. Still in its infancy stage so its nothing like Raf's but, I like it. :)

I'll post some pic's this weekend.

agreed once they are set up water changes and minimal maintenance is all thats required.
Are the pictures up yet? No? What are you waiting for... ;)
Damn bro... YOU SUCK FOR POSTING THIS!!! :thumbs:
AMAZING!!! Makes me really want to get back into it!!! I had a 30gal. set-up for a few years.

My Petsmart has a 12gal. set-up that I really want to get... It's similar to this...

st_12g_aquapod_36966p_003.jpg

Just don't have the room in this house for a big tank like I want!!! :angry:
Tell your SS :) Get back into it, there is more people here into it than I expected... As far as room you can get a 24X24X24 around 60G or 54 corner 28X27X22, there are lots of options... I'm sure we can find a size that will fit the space you have, just don't tell mama that I'm trying to corrupt you :)
Looks like you got about $10,000 vested in your reef tank
Looking good :love:
Believe or not I have about half of that invested in this setup, if you are patient and wait for the sales you can pick up high quality equipment at a very decent price making the burden in the pocket alot easier.

Raf

We had a 40 gallon tank set up with a single 5-6" Jack Demsey Ciclid. He was a lot of fun, coming up to the top whenever we came near, hoping to get some food. We decided to treat him with some feeder goldfish a few months ago. It appears that they were diseased because he got sick and I had to euthanize him. :( I'm thinking about setting up the tank again once the holidays are over. Probably try to make a diverse tropical set-up. :thumbs:

Jim,

Good to see you back!!!

That saltwater tank sure looks awesome. I use to have a small desktop freshwater tank, but it was a lot of hassle to take care of. The tank got dirty fast, and I wasn't very smart about it. I kept changing out the water and that made the little fishy died. I think I had a Betta and some other fish in there. They didn't get along to well. After a while, I gave up. If I ever get into this again, it's definitely going to be a bigger saltwater tank.

Well, It's official... Getting a 24gal. Nano Cube for Christmas! Actually, I should have it before then!
I'll keep you all posted as the set up goes along!!!

Man, I can't wait!!! :thumbs:

My Father In-Law had a huge tank and it looked great when he had the time to maintain it. I just wish he would have asked me before he got ride of it because the kids would still be enjoying it.

That smaller 12 gallon one looks like a sweet place to start up.

rsaavedra that is a beautiful tank. I have looking at it for some time and even in picture format it looks stunning. Congrats!

Been in the Hobbie for a while. At one time I had 27 tanks going which added up to a few thousand gallons. I like fresh water fish. South and Central American cichlids, the big boys of the hobbie. Use to breed and show fish. Don't laugh. They do have shows for fish just like dogs and other animals. My club North Jersey Aquarium Society has a monthly meeting and yearly show. Right now I'm more out of the hobbie then in. Don't have the time to keep a tank. All my fish where taken a beating so it was time to stop for awhile. When things change I'll start up again.

DG

I remember reading a study once that claimed watching a fish tank decreased stress and lowered blood pressure.

Doc.
Definately. When my kids had a 10 gallon tank stocked with fancy tail guppies and neon tetras,
I'd just plant myself in front of that tank and stare and relax for a while. Add a nice smoke to that mix (as I now would) and it'd be even better.

I am quite the picture whore :)

Hey. When you got it, flaunt it. Stunning stuff.

Well, It's official... Getting a 24gal. Nano Cube for Christmas! Actually, I should have it before then!
I'll keep you all posted as the set up goes along!!!

Man, I can't wait!!! :thumbs:

Pretty sure Im getting the nano hqi system from Santa

http://bluewatercorals.com/jbj28ganacuh.html

I used to keep saltwater tanks back in college. Amazing how the much has changed since then.
BASTID!!! ;)
Awesome choice bro!!! My dad bought mine for me as my "gift", so I had to keep the price down!

Would love to see your progress as you get it set up!!!

Also, I've been checking this forum out quite a bit! Tons of great info, and some pretty damn amazing smaller tanks!!!

Well, my wife did even better than the nano. She got me this

http://www.current-usa.com/solana.html

I'm in the process of setting it up now. I have to go back and get the lighting today if it made it on the order. Didnt decide what I wanted until 6pm last night. Went with something like this for lighting

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=13975
Nice choice bro!!! I just replied to your PM before I saw this... Damn nice bro!!!

Can't wait to see some pictures! I just added my Live Sand... I'll get some pictures up when it clears up a bit. :blush:

WOW! Thanks for all the great information here and the PMs from some of you guys, I appreciate it very much. :thumbs:

My step daughter has been seeing her new boyfriend for the better part of the year and I've met him a couple of times and he seems like a nice guy. He came down to the Yule Party on December 22nd but didn't join us for Christmas on the 25th. So I ask my step daughter what she got her boyfriend for Christmas and she tells me "Oh a gift certificate to the local marine fish store." She rents a house in an area that her boyfriend's family owns and he lives in a nearby house. I've been over there on a few occasions at her house but I've never been in his place. So I said "Oh, NOW you tell me he's into the marine aquarium scene!" :0 Well, it's really my fault because she had no clue I had an interest. She then tells me he has quite the set up at his house so my next plan of attack it "Okay, sooooo, when can I come down and check out his set up?" :laugh: Apparently from what she's told me, he's got a couple of marine tanks going, one very large one and a smaller one.

Hopefully sometime soon, I can get a peek and I'll report back with my findings and probably more questions for you marine guys.

I used to have this on VHS. Made a great convo piece during a party. Turn your big-screen tv into an aquarium. :D

DVD-AQUARIUM.jpg

From our Friends Down Under

COOL AUSTRALIAN IMPORT!

Imagine your own fish tank. No feeding, no cleaning in fact no mainenance at all! DVD Aquarium brings a realistic aquarium to your own TV or computer. Just slip in the video DVD, choose which aquarium set up you want to watch, then sit back and relax. DVD is looped for continuous play like Waves DVDs. Choose between natural bubble sounds or ambient music.

DVD Aquarium is fun and a conversation piece in any household or office. In fact, it's so realistic you might have trouble keeping your cat away! Makes a great plasma art screen saver DVD.

Well here is mine so far... Still have a little time 'till any critters are in there though!

1-1-08042.jpg

1-6-08008.jpg