• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

True Anecdote

gtadroptop

You can't make this stuff up
In my circle of friends, I'm the cigar expert. Not only is that a bit scary, it also tells you my friends just don't do cigars.

So yesterday, we go golfing after work. One of my buddies pulls a plastic bag out of his golf bag. At first I thought there was a stick of beef jerky in it. Nope. He cuts the bag open and pulls out something vaguely resembling a cigar and lights it. Smoke is coming off of it. Yup, it's a cigar. Doing my best to keep a straight face, I asked him what the hell he was smoking (which probably wasn't the first time somebody asked him that question in his lifetime). He said that he was at a wedding a few weeks ago and somebody gave him a couple cigars. He wanted to save them for later, so he took them home and vacuum packed them to keep them fresh! :0

I can see in theory where that could work. You wouldn't have to worry about mold. Theoretically they wouldn't dry out. And beetles certainly wouldn't survive very long. In practice, it didn't work very well. The cigar was a bit misshapen and pieces of the outer wrapper kept unwrapping. I finally lost it when he said he was having a hard time smoking it because the tobacco was all smashed together. Gotta give him credit, he did finish smoking it and at least he was smart enough to put them in separate bags.

Anybody else have any 'interesting' stories about their casual cigar friends?

No interesting stories, but I vacuum seal cigars, with a boveda pack, all the time. I do this when I send folks cigars, and not as a regular storage method. The trick is stopping the vacuum at the right moment, and then letting the sealing take place. It works very well. Especially if something gets lost in the mail for a week or three.

edit to clarify.

This seems like a good idea in theory. I've vacuum packed boxes with great success, but I'm a little too squeemish to vacuum pack bare sticks.

No interesting stories, but I vacuum seal cigars, with a boveda pack, all the time. I do this when I send folks cigars, and not as a regular storage method. The trick is stopping the vacuum at the right moment, and then letting the sealing take place. It works very well. Especially if something gets lost in the mail for a week or three.

edit to clarify.

My bad for not being more detailed. He put the single unwrapped and unprotected stick in a plastic bag and then vacuum sealed it.

your friend must know my uncle. someone gave him two supposedly ISOM's and they wanted them to make it here from the dominican republic so they vacuum sealed the two and just like you said...bare sticks in a vacuum pack fully sucked the life out of them.

A freind of mine thought he needed to leave his humidor open for a few hours each day for the air to circulate properly. maybe I should have told him to vacuum seal it after each time he opened it.

edit to clarify.

My bad for not being more detailed. He put the single unwrapped and unprotected stick in a plastic bag and then vacuum sealed it.

Oh No. No bad at all. My mental picture was a nicely crushed cigar :laugh: