• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Truffles $$$$

Maggs44

Saw this ad in Milwaukee's paper, almost fell off my couch. Hope I can get the image to work.

Dec2401.jpg

Holy crap!

Ain't no fungus in the world worth $2.5K per pound.

When I was a boy, my parents would take us out into the woods in Connecticut to hunt for wild mushrooms. Morels, boletes (porcinis), hen, oyster, sulfur, puffballs, and more...all for the taking. No truffles though.

Wilkey

I've never cooked with truffles, but I've had dishes with black truffles in them at resturants. It's a very interesting flavor that surrounds your mouth. Very enjoyable to me, and unlike any other food IMO.

White truffles are almost always more expensive than black. The cost of truffles comes from their demand, but also because finding them is so difficult. Seasonal variations with rainfall and weather change the amount that can be found each year. You need a dog or pig trained to hunt them out in the forest in areas known to have truffles underground. And there's certain tree's roots that are favored too. Can't just go and pick them up yourself.

There was a recent article in the NYTimes about cultivating them on farms that may hopefully lower prices in the future.

Mmmmmmmm .... just used some black truffle salt in a dish for Christmas eve dinner. I love the flavor that it imparts to foods, keeps people guessing what the heck I used to make the dish so special.

:cool:

The bigger the truffle the hight the price. You can get truffles at $50/oz but they are small. I use truffle oil when I need to get that flavor.

I always wondered what they taste like. They are used a lot in the Japanese Iron Chef show on the Food Network. Sprinkle some truffles and you win. I love that show.

I use them every now and then. The ones I get are the cheaper $30-50 ones. They impart a nice flavor to a dish. One will last a long time. Just a little in a dish is all you need.

Spend some time watching the food network and you will see many uses for Truffles.

The dried ones are a good alternative. The shrooms go for a hefty price, but when dehydrated you don't have to pay for the water weight.

Holiday Greetings! I have not personally had any experience cooking with truffles. However, when I visited Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada years ago, I went to a nice restaurant, and enjoyed some black truffles with my steak. They had a somewhat unusual flavor, and they had a pleasant aroma. At today's high prices for truffles, I doubt that I will be eating any more of them in the near future. HaHa! I want to take this opportunity to wish everyone a very Happy and Prosperous New Year! Regards, knightlaird

I remember seeing on Discovery/History about truffles. Very rare, they grow underground? The people trained pigs to sniff them out and dig them up. The people in Europe would take them to market and get 700-800 per pound for fresh truffles over there.

The people would be very careful finding them, cuz if they didn't watch the pigs they could eat a couple hundred dollars worth in a less than a minute!!!

Quade

I remember seeing on Discovery/History about truffles. Very rare, they grow underground? The people trained pigs to sniff them out and dig them up. The people in Europe would take them to market and get 700-800 per pound for fresh truffles over there.

The people would be very careful finding them, cuz if they didn't watch the pigs they could eat a couple hundred dollars worth in a less than a minute!!!

Quade

Many Truffle hunters have switched to dogs for that reason. They can find them just as good, but do not eat the prize.

I enjoy the flavor of truffles and buy the oil to cook with.

If I buy them whole, my pigs get to them before me, and eat em all up :laugh: .