• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Trying to decide on a new vehicle and need help/input please

It is really going to be my wife's vehicle. So, we are good in that respect.

I have an 09 Mercedes coupe. Its a gas vs. diesel. While I have had good experience with my first MB, the comments on expensive maintenance are accurate. Most owners of MB I know trade when the warranty expires due to maintenance expenses. I think this same math would apply for Audi and BMW.

I have seen some competitive offerings on MB SUV's with extended warranties, so if you go this route, the extended warranty is likely a smart choice. If you can qualify, USAA has some good promotions on new MB purchases.

I also recommend reading Edmunds (www.edmunds.com) particularly the user forums for the models you are interested. Many times these posts will give you an idea of issues with a particular model. Even if you buy a 2015, if the drive train is essentially the same, the concerns or complaints with prior models is a good indicator.

A friend of mine bought the MB SUV and loves it. She lives in Texas so cannot comment on cold weather driving.

When I lived in Co., my ex and I both had Acuras. The Acura MDX my wife drove was a really nice cold weather option. (I am not knocking Audi nor BMW, just providing another car that I have personal experience). Very low maintenance costs, good extended warranty, and drove really well in snow. She loved her MDX, and many times you can get a nice deal on an off lease with extended warranty that is as nice as new and materially less than German choices.

Good luck with your search !

I know you guys are talking high-end, but we've been happy with my wife's Honda Pilot EXL.  Traded in her 2012 for a 2014, but it's basically a van without being a van :)

bfreebern said:
I know you guys are talking high-end, but we've been happy with my wife's Honda Pilot EXL.  Traded in her 2012 for a 2014, but it's basically a van without being a van :)

Same here.  We have the Pilot Touring, and it's a very comfortable SUV with tons of features.

Or you can always get this:

11890705604_d88b58da66_o.jpg

If you're still thinking about KB's post, another option to maybe consider is a '15 Jeep GC Overland or Summit.  They're very nice and I was just recently at the dealer ready to pull the trigger on one when my wife decided she just didn't like something about it at the last minute.  But they're really nice and the interiors are finished off plush.

Is the BMW more sporty than the Audi and Mercedes, as they traditionally are in their sedans?  Years ago we had a C class, and at the time it was a tossup between that and a 3-series, but the cush ride of the Mercedes is what we ended up with.  At the time with infant kids I wasn't looking for sporty :(

You could always go whole hog and just get a G-500.

We have furthered or search to include everything avaliable. The wow didn't like the Lexus or we would have bought it.

My wife leases her cars.  I've informed her she can't lease the next one because it's my turn.  Never the less, she had a Pilot and we did enjoy it.  7 seats and 20+ MPG.  The top of the line is nice. 

Since most discussion here was about high end luxury cars, this may be irrelevant, but we just purchased a new Mazds CX-5 and I could not be happier. Great car but more importantly, great car for the money.
Smaller than the Expedition of course, but high marks all around.

Gary, you could probably take the seats out of the expedition and park the Mazda in there! :p lol