• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Trying to kill myself

botl43

Well I've been reading a lot of the threads in this area as of late. For the most part I dont drink hard spirits that often. Long time ago, I had a friend that was into Scotch. Drank with him now and again.. This being the case I have a little acquired taste for Scotch. I've been dabbling with testing out my palate in this area as of late. Trying to see if I really like it or not..
Cheep bastard that I am, I cant see myself paying $45 dollars a bottle. So I'm looking at the shelves this morning down at Trader Joe's and I see this good looking bottle off in the corner. Hey it's only $17.00 That isn’t to bad.. Why not!

I tell you why not. This shit is turpentine in the bottle!! :angry:

My mother always told me I had to learn the hard way.. Yuck! I Think she was right... :blush:

If you have to drink the cheaper stuff, try Grants as it was rated 94 just recently. I can't say firsthand but Jim Murry usually does a good job.

Well I've been reading a lot of the threads in this area as of late. For the most part I dont drink hard spirits that often. Long time ago, I had a friend that was into Scotch. Drank with him now and again.. This being the case I have a little acquired taste for Scotch. I've been dabbling with testing out my palate in this area as of late. Trying to see if I really like it or not..
Cheep bastard that I am, I cant see myself paying $45 dollars a bottle. So I'm looking at the shelves this morning down at Trader Joe's and I see this good looking bottle off in the corner. Hey it's only $17.00 That isn’t to bad.. Why not!

I tell you why not. This shit is turpentine in the bottle!! :angry:

My mother always told me I had to learn the hard way.. Yuck! I Think she was right... :blush:

Let us know what it was so the rest of us cheapies don't buy it. :D

It's in the title. ;)

Let us know what it was so the rest of us cheapies don't buy it. :D

Read more, post less.--- Read more, post less.--- Read more, post less.

I'll get it right one of these days. Sorry.

Hey it's all good Boomer. So with that bieng said what is a good quality buy in scotch? Something that will break my cherry in quality but not the bank??

This is it! Finlaggan <==Linky Maybe I just dont know what I'm talking about and this is a quality product.. Typical Noobe to scotch and probably dont have a clue?

Thanks in advance for the replies..

Edited to say: See I just did it as well.. Read More post less! :blush: Grants, got it! Any other's??

I think you have to aquire a taste for scotch, I have to be in the mood for scotch :blush: ...start off with something easier on the palate POST...Rum, but one that is not expensive but pretty good is Goslings Black Seal Rum.

I would not have appreciated this scotch 10 years ago. On a cruise, my wife wanted to buy me a nice scotch as I was just starting my experimentation with cigars and scotch. The waitress suggested LAPHROAIG (sp). I hated the stuff. Now 10 years later I appreciate the full bodied flavor of a Bolivar as well as LAPHROAIG Quarter Cask. It is an acquired taste. Some noted writers suggest that Finlaggan is from Laguvulin which is prime for peat lovers. Now I certainly can appreciate Finlaggan for what it is. I even asked for Trader's Joe when the next shipment was coming in.

I would not have appreciated this scotch 10 years ago. On a cruise, my wife wanted to buy me a nice scotch as I was just starting my experimentation with cigars and scotch. The waitress suggested LAPHROAIG (sp). I hated the stuff. Now 10 years later I appreciate the full bodied flavor of a Bolivar as well as LAPHROAIG Quarter Cask. It is an acquired taste. Some noted writers suggest that Finlaggan is from Laguvulin which is prime for peat lovers. Now I certainly can appreciate Finlaggan for what it is. I even asked for Trader's Joe when the next shipment was coming in.

Yea, been having a little snort the last couple days when I get home from work. Your right it's an aquired taste. I'm now starting to be able to assimilate or break down the flavors a little bit. A heavy peat flavor with a light Oak on the back side... I was telling AVB in PM that it's all about starting out on this grand journey.. I'm just a noob when it comes to this subject. I'm in that place on the subject, were I need to read more and post less.. Much much less. :rolleyes:

Half the fun is in the journey though dont you agree?? :cool:

With that bieng said what would you suggest for the first couple of scotches, to set a noob on the right track? You know something that will set the baseboard to stand on for future reference as I set forth on this grand journey??

Not to step on AVB's toes, You just have to try different things until you find something special. I tried Glenfiddich Caoran on AVB review and it opened up a whole different worls of Scotch. Just like cigars different scotch's will have different profiles, you will like some and hate others. I really have gotten to appreciate this Finlaggan.

Islay scotch is an acquired taste for sure. I think only camels, goats and really FOGs have the palate for that stuff. :p

Islay scotch is an acquired taste for sure. I think only camels, goats and really FOGs have the palate for that stuff. :p

I agree a Islay Scotch may take a bit of time to really beging to enjoy it. There are several types that range from just smokey to really peaty. Try a Talisker, more smokey then move into the more peaty ones one Lagavulin.

As for $ on a bottle of scotch it is all about taste, but Glenfiddich 15 is around $40 and is a pretty good dram. Buying a bottle goes along the lines of buying a good cigar. You can find good quality for less and pay big money for @#$%.

I'd suggest hitting a good pub and trying a few to see what you like. You can get a shot for $3 and up. That's basically how I got started... an Irish pub here.. an English pub there.... enjoy the journey.

Not really sure where I fit in with such august company. I can only aspire to FOGdom, so that leaves camel or goat... :laugh:

I'm a fool for Islay malts...smoke, peat, the sea...the more, the better. I even like notes of seaweed and iodine. I was enjoying some Ardbeg 10 the other night when I thought I detected the faint flavor of fish in the background and thought, "Now, that's nice." I'm a truly sick man.