• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tuppador Storage & Buying a New Humidor

Cigar FF

I've decided to throw in the towel. It's time for a new desktop humidor. I tried the advice that was provided in a previous thread and my problem has not gotten any better. I have two concerns at this point... If I could score one under $100 I would be happy. If I have to spend a few bucks over $100, I'm cool with that.

For now, I need to get about 30-40 cigars out of my current humidor and into a tuppidor. The only storage I currently have would keep the cigars vertical or on end, rather than lying down. Will this hurt the cigars at all? If this isn't a problem, I would guess it would be better to store them on the uncut side correct? I can always go out and buy something that is a little bigger for my temporary storage until I buy a new humi but I want to make sure I wont do any damage.

I've been reading and researching a bit so I can make a well informed decision on a new desktop humidor. I am still in the process of researching on here and other resources. I have used the search feature and thumbed through a number of threads and followed links in those threads. I know the recommendation is to get a coolidor which I definitely plan on doing but I don't think I am at that point yet. I want to find some more sophisticated cigars that I enjoy and I can buy in bulk before I make that step. I do plan on trying a newbie trade soon so I'm sure a coolidor is not far off. At the same time, I keep reading that I should spend my money on good cigars and not a humidor so now I am lost...lol

With that said, I want to see what I should be looking or asking for in my next humidor. My current humidor has a glass top and an analog hygro (which remains in there to keep the hole covered but I now have a digital hygro). I have to say, I like the glass top for the main reason that I can see my RH without having to open the top. I have read both sides about glass tops and understand it's just another way to let humidity escape. I am semi-perplexed with which way to go in this regard.

What should I be looking for in my new desktop humidor? I'm looking for a 100 count. Some things that I've found so far that my next purchase should have:
- Sureseal technology
- No glass top (as said above, I'm not sure I like this idea but if it will keep my cigars protected, than I'll sacrifice)
- Kiln dried Spanish cedar obviously
What else should I be looking for?

I have found two options from links in other posts and some research: http://www.cheaphumi..._HUM-100LG.html or http://www.cheaphumi...HUM-300GR.html? Although this is a 300 count, it currently lists at $109.

So after re-reading all of this, I'm friggin lost...lol I would like something nice to pluck my cigars from regularly instead of a coolidor but after cost is involved, it seems silly not to go with a coolidor. I have beads (I'd likely need more for a cooler), digital hygro and all I need is some good cigars to smoke! I just don't know what to do at this point. :rolleyes: Show me the way...

I have the first humidor you linked. For a basic humidor, it gets the job done. I'm sure the price could mislead one to believe its "junk" but I have found it to be a worthy humidor once I finally got it prepped for storage. I will say the one I have does not quite pass the 'dollar bill seal test' on the right side of the humidor, but that should be a simple fix once I get out of the desert. However that does not seem to affect the humidity level, I use three 65% heartfelt beads tubes and it holds right at/close to 65% as intended. Keep in mind that when it says 100 count, that is referring more to if you stuck 100 of the same size in (Not sure what size intended to fit that number). I can fit about 60-70 mixed sizes (mainly robusto) in mine with the tray in, There would be more space with the tray out, but less circulation.

The bigger the better.

You might post an ISO and get a good
deal from someone who moved up to
a cabinet and has a spare 100+ count
for sale/trade.

Bad seals can be fixed with a little work
and bathtub caulk.

Chemyst :cool:

My wife got me the second one several years back and it would not hold humidity. Beads were constantly needing recharging. YMMV, though...

I stick with travel humidors (plastic) and tupperware now. I know those seal.

-John

I like the idea of a humidor for regular access and it's typically a nice show piece. Some can get pricey. I like the coolidor because it has much more capacity and for the price, you can't beat it. I was waiting until I found a few more cigars that peaked my interest so I could buy them in bulk which would justify the coolidor even more.

I will poke around the trade forum and see what is around. My only concern is i'm getting second hand stuff and since I've had a problem with seals, I'm semi-hesitant.

Any input on storing cigars on end in tupperware? Not a good idea? Won't really hurt anything?

I like a humidor to have very thick walls. I don't know that you can find one for under $100.00 except for on the used market. In my opinion, you should used a tupperdore, and take your time. Also, as far as humidification goes, you should calibrate your hygrometer again. Remove all doubts that it is not part of your problem. Also, re-season your humidor. Take a shallow vessel, add a 1/2 cup of distilled water, and let it sit, unopened (no peeking!) for a minimum of two weeks. Make sure you take some steps to avoid any spills, such as a plastic plate, or something to catch a minor spillover while moving. Place it somewhere very safe. Do you get a woosh when you drop the lid of the humdor from an inch or two up? You can very lightly wipe the sealing portions, and I mean very lightly.
One thing you should get a feel for is not relying totally on a hygrometer to judge the moisture content of your cigars. The pinch technique works, and is something you should keep trying to master.

I Put twice as many beads inside the humidor as heartfelt recommends in more than one container. When you moisten the beads, it is better to add a little water at a time, and give a day to see what happens. Make sure that whatever you keep the beads in do not measure more than an inch high. You need the surface area, not thickness.

Thanks for the advice MadMonk. I am not as concerned about the money as I am about ruining the stock. The only thing I have not done was re-season the humidor. I did not follow the instructions you mentioned but I did wipe it down and let it sit for well over a week. I guess it cannot hurt to try that. This time around, I'll follow the advice here and let it sit longer.

Can I store my cigars on end for the time being? That's the only question I have not had an answer for.

I do get a whoosh when I close the humidor. I did the dollar bill test as well and had a good grip on 1 side. The other 2, not so good. As for the amount of beads, I'm definitely using more than I need. I do notice that they dry out quicker than I was expecting which is the only reason I am going to try the re-seasoning. I hate asking petty questions like my OP but I don't want to make a similar mistake and buy crap.

As always, I thank you all for your concern and guidance.