• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

turkey time

siva66

my wife an i host turkey day at our house every year. this year i want to have one single wine to offer with dinner. last year (as a wine rookie) i had different bottles on hand for the dinner. my guests prefer red wine, and from what i've heard you probably want to go with something fruitier and with less tannins such as a pinot noir. i'm a big fan of pinots myself, but i was wondering if anyone had some must-have suggestions for the turkey dinner. hoping to keep each bottle under $20 each. thanks.

IMHO a good Pinot Noir is very difficult to come by in the $20 price range. More than any other grape variety, I've encountered quite a few rather atrocious examples in the value price category. The best reccomendation I can give if your set on a Pinot Noir would be Acacia. It's a little more, you should be able to find it a few bucks cheaper than the link, but worth the price. I'm sure NCCL will be able to help you find something nice.

shift_key_broken.jpg

Please get your "Shift" key fixed and I'll give you a couple of recommendations....

IMHO a good Pinot Noir is very difficult to come by in the $20 price range. More than any other grape variety, I've encountered quite a few rather atrocious examples in the value price category. The best reccomendation I can give if your set on a Pinot Noir would be Acacia. It's a little more, you should be able to find it a few bucks cheaper than the link, but worth the price. I'm sure NCCL will be able to help you find something nice.

i've found a couple rather enjoyable pinot's in the $20 range myself. but of course, everyone has different tastes. was just wondering if anyone had a personal favortie that i might use for the evening.

shift key still broken

Mmmmm....Turkey.....

Ever tried a Fume Blanc with turkey? It is a white, but is aged in oak, and has a pretty stout taste for a white. I think it pairs well with white meats such as pork, and bird like turkey and chicken. Robert Mondavi has a nice one for a very reasonable price...around $10.

Mmmmm....Turkey.....

Ever tried a Fume Blanc with turkey? It is a white, but is aged in oak, and has a pretty stout taste for a white. I think it pairs well with white meats such as pork, and bird like turkey and chicken. Robert Mondavi has a nice one for a very reasonable price...around $10.

thanks for the tip, we're going to have a couple bottles of white available for non-red drinkers. we'll have to give it a try.

Hey siva66, I have to agree with CasaSoho on the lower end Pinots, I have found one and only one that is in the low $20 range that I will pour on a regular basis. Windy Oaks Estates, out of the Santa Cruz Mountains, 2004 Pinot Noir Cuvee which I get for ~$24 being a club member .... seriously good juice, seriously. "If" you can find a bottle, I purchased the wineries last case last month, in your neck of the woods, give it a try.

Thanksgiving is one of the most dificult meals to pair just one wine with, due to all of the fixins and side's involved in the meal. Also depending on how you prepare the turkey could influence your wine selection. We cook our turkey on the BBQ so we use the smokeiness flavor to help us select a wine, or wines. The winery that I'm working with does have a Pinot that I can't wait to try with Thanksgiving dinner. It has a cranberry element to it, also quit acidic, that I think should go great with a turkey and gravy dinner. We're blowing it out the door at $20 a bottle right now, originally sold for $30 a bottle. If your interested, PM me for more details, if you order directly from the winery tell them the Wine Pimp sent you ;)

I'm probably going to be pouring a few different wines with Thanksgiving dinner. Of course the 2003 Eno "The Great Promise" Pinot Noir but also a 1996 Dom Perignon, 2004 Windy Oaks Estate "Wild Yeast" a Rousanne that I haven't yet selected and probably a Port to go with our cigars later in the evening.

Hope this helps ...

David

Edit: Okay, I did a little poking around in my tasting notes and found a couple of other $20 range Pinots that I could recommend. 2003 Baileyana Edna Valley Estate Pinot Noir, 2005 Cambria Julias Vineyard Pinot Noir, 2004 Byron Santa Maria Valley Pinot Noir

thanks for the tips and insight all. from my end i've had what i would call some good pinot's in the $20 range myself: au bon climat, saint gregory, bv carneros, and to a lesser extent jibe (which is more of an everyday pinot for me). i've found them to be very good, to my amateur palate that is. we're having 2 turkeys, one fried and one roasted with your typical sides of mashed potatoes, stuffing, carrots, etc. i guess another aspect is that my guests are not necessarily sommeliers, far from it really.