• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Turkey!

Gern Blansten

Always lots of good food on display here which means good cooks.  There are SOOO many ways to prepare a turkey for Thanksgiving.  How are you fixing the bird this year?

I have a andouille/cornbread stuffing that goes into the bird, rub a sage butter compound under the skin, wrap it in 3lbs of bacon and grill it.  I baste the bird with a watered down maple syrup concoction and myself with Bloody Marys.

Delicious!

Whats your program?

I don't stuff the bird. I'd rather place some aromatics and or an apple, etc into the cavity to give the meat more flavor. I always brine any poultry. Even Turkey legs.
Salt, brown sugar, fruit juices, spices, etc. Alton Brown's or Shirley Corriher's recipes always are my favorite brines.
We are renting a hall this year. A number of close friends are having a nice buffet. Here is the menu!

Appetizers and Salads:

Garden Variety Salad Bar with Assorted Toppings
International and Domestic Cheese Display
Fresh Cut Fruit Display
Deviled Eggs
Fresh-Baked Bread Display

Carving Station
Slow Roasted Steamship Round of Beef
Served with a Creamy Horseradish Sauce and Fresh Rolls
Honey Glazed Virginia Ham
Served with Buttermilk Biscuits and Honey Mustard Sauce

Entrées and Vegetables

Roast Turkey, Hickory Smoked and Slow Roasted
Cornbread Dressing, with Giblet Gravy and Fresh Cranberry Sauce
Fresh Broccoli, Cauliflower and Baby Carrots
Blue Lake Green Beans with Roasted Almonds
Candied Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows
Oven Roasted New Potatoes with Fresh Rosemary

A Gourmet Selection of Chef’s Choice Desserts!

Anti- Pasto:  Shrimp Cocktail, Crab stuffed mushrooms, Deviled eggs, various Italian cold cuts and cheeses, roasted red peppers, bruschetta, Olives and pickles, chips, dip, crackers. Bloody Mary's, Margaritas, and Manhattans.
Segundo: Ravioli stuffed with ricotta, Parmesan, and prosciutto. Served with a butter and sage sauce.
La tercera: Roasted turkey with giblet gravy, cornbread, sausage and sage dressing, cranberry sauce. Baked mashed with Parmesan and mozzarella, roasted butternut squash with maple syrup glaze, roasted root vegetable medley, egg plant parmesan, peas and corn, cottage cheese and homemade yeast rolls.
Desert:  Pumpkin pie, apple pie, blueberry tart (put up last summer), whipped cream, roasted chestnuts, walnuts, fruit.

This will be my 42 consecutive Thanksgiving dinner. The wife will be doing the deserts and acting as my sous chief. We'll be having 12 for dinner.

Doc

Frying two turkeys while smoking some good sticks. My yearly tradition.

chiefmd said:
Frying two turkeys while smoking some good sticks. My yearly tradition.
Same, but only one turkey. Creole butter marinade injected tonight into turkey.

We're expecting a foot of snow today. If you can make it, I'll make room.

Doc

Our dinner was fantastic. Everything was delicious. Too danged cold to smoke the beautiful Por Larranaga gifted to me from a CP brother. Maybe tomorrow while half the city is waiting in line with $200.00 flat screens.

Like MadMonk, I brined our bird using my variation on Alton Brown's brine recipe.  Filled the cavity with fresh rosemary, thyme, sage, and a quartered orange.  Spun it on the Weber's rotisserie for 3½ hours.

Local store had leftover turkeys 12-15lb for 29 cents a pound - can't beat a 14lb bird for $4.  I've got one in the smoker now trying a new recipe.