• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Two Land Hermit Crabs!

knightlaird

Greetings, Crustacian Fans! I received my two land hermit crabs from Uncle Milton Industries on Monday. They made the trip from California to Texas without any problems. I do not have any other pets at the present time, so I believe that these hermit crabs are a good choice for me. It is possible for a land hermit crab to live to be around 30 years of age! That's a very long lifespan for a pet. I named my hermit crabs Winky and Blinky. They conducted a complete inspection of their new home when they arrived. For the present time, I am keeping them in the Hermit Crab Cove terrarium. However, I am in the process of preparing a much larger terrarium for their home. I believe that it will be best for them to be housed in a larger area. Winky likes to play in the sand and climb around in the terrarium, whereas Blinky prefers to go inside the terrarium cave (a true "hermit"). Their personalities are certainly different from each other. The hermit crab manual says that it will take about 2 days for them to become adjusted to their new home. I think that I will enjoy my new pets. Does anyone else have land hermit crabs for pets? If so, please tell us about your experiences. Cheerio! Regards, knightlaird

After reading your post, I decided to read about hermit crabs. I didn't know they lived as long as 30 years! I currently have a parakeet, which I caught in my backyard several years ago. Also own two desert tourtises. Past pets include dogs, chicken, rabbit, fish, frogs.

Good luck with your new pet!

Hi, Rod! Thank you very much for wishing me good luck with my new pets. There are several good web sites about land hermit crabs on the Internet. In addition to the hermit crab manual and instruction sheets furnished by Uncle Milton Industries, I also obtained a land hermit crab book from amazon.com. I have had a variety of pets in the past. Most of them simply died of old age, and a few were stolen. I have had dogs, cats, chinchillas, a rooster, a sheep, and sea monkeys as pets in the past. I have never owned any birds. When we were young teenagers, a buddy of mine owned a beautiful parrot named "Joe". At that time, Joe was over 45 years old! Parrots can live to a very old age. Joe had a very large vocabulary, and could even sing quite a few songs. The next time that I see my friend, I'll ask him what happened to ol' Joe. Yes, I am looking forward to raising my land hermit crabs. Regards, knightlaird

Land crabs... might have to look into that when the last of the fish go belly up.

I have had fish, turtles, mice, rats, hamsters, snakes, cats, dogs and even a tarantula.

Good luck with your new pets.

Post a couple of pics if you get the chance.

My cousin had a land crab that lived for 14 years but who knows how old it was when he got it.

Greetings! By the way, in my Post #1 on this thread, I misspelled the word "Crustecean". It's not Crustacian. Land hermit crabs are Crusteceans! Unfortunately, I do not have photo scanning capabilities at the present time. But here's a good web site with plenty of land hermit crab photos. Please visit http://www.animalpicturesarchive.com/list....20hermit%20crab. Many thanks, everyone for wishing me good luck with my new land hermit crab pets, and for your comments. You might also want to visit the Uncle Milton web site. Regards, knightlaird

Congrats Knnight.
On our last trip to Va beach, we bought one for our 12 yo. The literature that came with it said something about the crabs getting to know you if you play with them a bit - talk to them, and try to let them get used to you. Kept telling my son, leave the crab alone. But no. Our last night night in the hotel, my wife and I are there watching tv and he has the crab in the palm of his hands. Out of nowhere comes a yell, followed by a crab flying across the room. The crab got a hold of one of his fingers and chomped down., actually bresking the skin. as painful as that was for him - he was more concerned about what damage he might have done to the crab. It's been 2 1/2 years and the crab is still with us - alive and kicking. we've been thru several shell changes in that time. He never did get used to my son.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it but make sure you have new shells available for it to transfer into. Put them in the cage/terrarium because you wont know when the change will take place.

P.S. They Bite!

I was wondering when it was going to go there, and who was going to take it there.

I am curious, though...Land Hermit Crabs? What is the difference between these and what are normally just referred to as "hermit crabs"...anything?

Greetings, knightlaird! Do these crabs have a special diet? I'm wondering if you'd feed them something like lettuce and carrots, or more like Ritz crackers and cheese, maybe with bits of beer sausage. And I wonder if the girlfriend of MilesMingusMonk's crabs grow up to be Hermit Crabs, or if it's a different species. This is all very fascinating! Regards, ggiese

Greetings! No, land hermit crabs have nothing to do with crab lice, which a girlfriend may or may not have. Haha! Thank you for your stories and comments. I have already placed two shells in the terrarium to be available when the hermit crabs are ready for new shells. Yes, hermit crabs can pinch and bite. The main difference between a land hermit crab and a hermit crab is that a land hermit crab lives on land, whereas a regular hermit crab lives in the water. Land hermit crabs can eat a variety of different foods. Leafy lettuce, salty tortilla chips, and salted crackers are just a few examples. I also have a special food for them which comes in tiny pellets. They drink natural spring water. These land hermit crabs are certainly interesting creatures! Regards, knightlaird

WOW! :rolleyes: I don't know whether I should feel sorry for him, or just continue laughing!!! ???

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I always wanted a Hermit crab when I was a kid but my mother said they "stink" and wouldn't allow it. Come to think of it, they do have a smell all of their own for sure, I don't think they stink though.

Hi, Wurm! No, land hermit crabs do not stink, and they are clean creatures. Regards, knightlaird

MilesMingusMonk said:
I had a girlfriend with crabs once...
[snapback]294725[/snapback]​

what you and tiara boy do behind close doors is none of this boards business... :sign: :whistling:

knightlaird said:
Hi, Wurm! No, land hermit crabs do not stink, and they are clean creatures. Regards, knightlaird
[snapback]294871[/snapback]​

Oh I know they dont smell bad KL, they have a smell that reminds me of the shore and thats a good thing IMO.

nice pics they look like something I once used for bait. Glad you are enjoying them.

KayakinBoy said:
MilesMingusMonk said:
I had a girlfriend with crabs once...
[snapback]294725[/snapback]​

what you and tiara boy do behind close doors is none of this boards business... :sign: :whistling:
[snapback]294874[/snapback]​

Get smacked in the head with an oar again, KB? :whistling:

Man, she was cute in that 80's way. I did look kinda funny after I had to shave my eyebrows though.

crab_louse.gif

Phthirus pubis