• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

UFC 84 Predictions

SeanDamnit

This looks like a good fight card. I have my predictions in my signature, and I'm curious to know what this community thinks.

BJ Penn vs Sean Sherk:
I love BJ, and am not too big a fan of Sherk. Not so much because of the steroid thing, but more because I just don't like fighters who sit on top of another one for 3 rounds to get a decision. Still, I think Sean will neutralize BJ's takedowns and ground skills and will gain a dominant position for enough of the fight to get a unanimous decision.

Tito Ortiz vs Lyto Machida:
Sure Machida has a perfect record and has beat some top competition BEFORE they were considered top compitition (Franklin, Penn), but the fact of the matter is that he can't finish fights. Against a guy like Tito - who has only been KO'd once by Chuck Liddell - Machida's only chance is in the decision. I do think, however, that Tito CAN finish the fight, and I think he can score with more takedowns, dominant positions, etc if the fight does go to decision. I call Tito by TKO in the 2nd due to ground n' pound.

Wanderlei Silva vs Keith Jardine:
Keith has some excellent wins over Forrest Griffin and Chuck Liddell showing that he is a striker to be taken seriously, but then a sound loss handed to him from Houston Alexander. Wanderlei Silva has lost his last 3 fights, but then again he lost them to very top competition like Chuck Liddell, Cro Cop, and Hendo. Wand has already established himself as a legend in this sport, and I beleive this fight will show that he is still a force to be reconed with. I predict a couple knees to the face will KO or TKO Jardine.

BJ Penn has conquered his demons and is now training like an athlete of his caliber should. You are right, Sherk's only chance of winning this fight is a boring 5 round lay and pray decision. However, I think BJ will take his back and submit him via rear naked choke. Sherk isn't better than Hughes, and BJ made Matt look silly (in their first fight).

Machida is one of those guys who doesn't look impressive but he just keeps on winning. His most famous win is over Rich Franklin several years ago. Tito has a good chin but gets tentative when he feels outclassed and his knees are shot. I don't know if he's had surgery on his knees or not. Still, its hard to pick against an undefeated fighter. I'm picking Machida by sub. Probably an armbar or triangle, as Tito is surely going to put him on his back if they tangle.

Jardine is outclassed by Wanderlei on many levels. His leg kicks are brutal, but they won't matter to Wandy. They train muy thai harder than most. I can't see this fight ending any way but one: Silva by KO.

I can't really predict who is going to win but they should all three be damn good fights. I can't wait to watch it.. I would like to see Penn, Jardine, and Machida win but we shall see...Ortiz is a hard headed tough bastard.

Been following a little bit. He has a fight on CBS next saturday night on EliteXC's show. Free fights are always good :thumbs:

Been following a little bit. He has a fight on CBS next saturday night on EliteXC's show. Free fights are always good :thumbs:

Whoa, Kimbo on CBS!

Not two years ago he was taking on all comers for a grand in the back yards and parking lots of Perrine!

Wait is Tito Ortiz the guy who went on Celebrity Apprentice?

Yep, that was him. He was doing well and then choked.

Yep, that was him. He was doing well and then choked.

I'm hoping he chokes tomorrow too!

Sure I think he'll win, but man I really don't want him to. Same thing with my pick of Sherk over Penn.

It would really disappoint me if Jardine beats Silva. 4 losses in a row is tough, and it would be hard to see such a legend go through that. I don't think Jardine will win, but Jardine tends to be the guy everyone expects to lose, but then win anyway.

A lot of Pride fighters don't seem to be adapting well to the UFC - and there are some who believe that is because Pride didn't test for any performance enhancing substances like the UFC does.

I don't follow it, however, you should see who comes to see it live. I spent much of the afternoon and evening in the MGM Grand today. There was a UFC event here. LOTS of Armani guys with nearly nekkid ladies on their arms headed for the fight(s). WOW! I'm not into the fights, but I could sure grab a cooler and lawn chair to watch those who are.

machida, penn, wanderli

now you know why they call wanderli "the axe murder"

I met Brock Lesnar over the weekend, I'll have to post the picture when I get it on my PC.