• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Undercrown Keeps going out

cigar2347

Hi, 

I got a sampler of Liga Privada Undercrown  from an online retailer and the cigar keeps going out.  But for the few minutes in between that is on it smokes like crazy. 
my humidity level is 69%, and I doubt the Undercrown is at 69 since it was just shipped, left in the box for a week after it arrived with a 62% humi pack, it is probably 65%, but still anyone know why it keeps going out.

I even left a leftover quarter of the cigar outside overnight  so it dries out but  it still kept going out.

could its own excessive amount of smoke be suffocating the cigar????

Many retailers over humidify their cigars by quite a bit, especially the on line guys.  A week probably isn't enough time to let the RH stabilize; a month is probably more like it.  As far as leaving your cigar outside....I don't believe you'll see the ambient RH go down at night.  Quite the opposite, actually.

I have several boxes of UC's and they smoke great.  I run my cabinet at 65 but it drifts up in the 68-ish range with the different seasons (as the ambient RH in the house fluctuates a bit).

The weather report for LA today says the ambient humidity is 71%....so your cigars aren't going to dry out very fast, even lf left out of your humidor.  It's still worth a try - pick out a stick, and put it in a reasonably dry environment (I use my desk drawer at home) and leave it there for a week....and try it again.

I don't think the amount of smoke is the issue. That's classic Liga... those things smoke more than any other cigar I know.

They should smoke great at 65%. Maybe, as BBS says, give them a little more time to stabilize. The smokes are well worth it!

For what it's worth, I smoke my DE cigars at the same RH as I smoke my CCs. Slightly on the low side at around 62%. I've noticed that they smoke much better and burn more evenly on the lower end of the spectrum.

I haven't had a cigar keep going out like Undercrown. As others have mentioned, lower humidity seems to help. Even dry boxing would do some good.

wkoti said:
For what it's worth, I smoke my DE cigars at the same RH as I smoke my CCs. Slightly on the low side at around 62%. I've noticed that they smoke much better and burn more evenly on the lower end of the spectrum.

I'm curious how you manage the RH levels in your various humidors, if you wouldn't mind describing your system.

And by "manage" I really mean what do you keep at what RH, and for what purpose, and do you move cigars into a different environment when you are preparing to smoke them, etc.

Juanote said:

I'm curious how you manage the RH levels in your various humidors, if you wouldn't mind describing your system.

And by "manage" I really mean what do you keep at what RH, and for what purpose, and do you move cigars into a different environment when you are preparing to smoke them, etc.

I was wondering the same thing on how this is done. I keep my humidor set at 65% so it stays pretty damn solid at 65% thanks to the Avallo system. I guess I'm curious how you keep your CC's and DE at 62% and everything else at something different?

Juanote said:

I'll do my best to paint a picture. I have a Vinotemp VT-48TEDS. I have 7 drawers in one zone and 2 shelves in the other. On the right side (the side with the drawers) I keep passive humidification (humidity beads) sitting on the bottom. (Humidity falls, maybe it rises, there is a lot of discussion on the matter) Those beads are 65% Heartfelt beads. Normally, those without active humidification need fans to circulate the air effectively for consistency throughout your cabinet. I removed the fan on the drawer side, so the top two drawers are slightly less humid than the rest, normally 62-63% with the other 5 staying at exactly 65%. Maybe it's because there is nearly no air circulation at the top, but I always understood it was because the way humidity operates. More of a accident than a procedure, but it does the job flawlessly. Those top 2 drawers contain my CCs and D.E. cigars.

On the other side (my box aging side) I use 70% Heartfelt beads on a shelf at the very top with fans for circulation and that side keeps a consistent 70%. Those cigars are far to wet to smoke immediately or in the near future. So I normally keep singles of each box on the singles side, once I get low on singles, I remove the box from the aging side and place the singles in the drawers, waiting at least a month to dive into them.

ETA - After some research I found humidity in fact rises. So my only conclusion could be that there is so little circulation at the top, it just can't keep the 2% like the rest.

Thank you, that was extremely informative. Unfortunately it'll be buried in the wrong forum in a thread about Ligas! :D

What I'm gathering is that there are probably three RH environments for cigar storage. Cigars set down for long term aging belong around around 70% RH (some say 69%). Cigars kept ready for smoking will need to be kept at lower humidity, which can be divided into medium (65%) and low(<63%) depending on the cigar and how it performs. And I've seen the observation several times that CCs prefer lower humidity (one fellow mentioned he keeps his at 59%).

Fascinating.