• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

uneven burns

Gator

Seems like i've had a rash of them lately, some are from construction (hollow spots or tunnels), but alot are just the uneven burn, seems like just the wrapper and binder. I keep them at 65%, smoke indoors when humidity is high, toast and light properly, and smoke at a nice slow steady pace. It's been a variety of cigars from Tat East Coast release, GOF's, anejo, opus. Anyone have any input on this?

Have you tested your hygro? Changed the batteries recently?

Doc.

Fix your tooth on the right side....too much air is getting in on one side.

Slow down on your smoke, I have this problem when I just can't get enough of a smoke or it's just too damn cold and don't want to waste it.

Ever try purging? Besides refreshening the flavor I find it helps correct a burn.

Seems like i've had a rash of them lately, some are from construction (hollow spots or tunnels), but alot are just the uneven burn, seems like just the wrapper and binder. I keep them at 65%, smoke indoors when humidity is high, toast and light properly, and smoke at a nice slow steady pace. It's been a variety of cigars from Tat East Coast release, GOF's, anejo, opus. Anyone have any input on this?

I am by no means an expert, and I frequently have the same problem. I end up just rotating the unburned section of wrapper toward the bottom of the stick as I hold it between puffs. It seems to help.

I recently (3 months ago) lowered my humis from 69% to 65% and have had burn issues which I assume will correct itself in time.

I had heard that Fuente lost a bunch of their rollers and had to train a bunch of rookies.

It's not big problem, just slightly irritating, and rotating does help some.

Kinda change of subject, last night i smoked a Tat EC release, and what a piece of crap, great taste when i wasn't having to puff like hell to keep it lit. Great draw, but several tunnels that required alot of work. I've had issues w/ the construction of DPG products on quite a few that i've burned, tight draws that don't get better after dry boxing, and tunnels.

Just bought Henry's cigar tool from Heartfelt, does well on loosening up tight draws

Frank, I smoke DPG products almost exclusively, at least a couple a day. I have never had the problems you describe,except for the DPG Black robusto whose wrapper explodes because of the 25% Rh in my home. So, I don't smoke them in the winter. I've smoked hundreds of his cigars over the past couple of years and I'm stumped as to what your problem might be. Perhaps they're being abused by your source? That's the only thing I can think of.

Doc.

Frank, I smoke DPG products almost exclusively, at least a couple a day. I have never had the problems you describe,except for the DPG Black robusto whose wrapper explodes because of the 25% Rh in my home. So, I don't smoke them in the winter. I've smoked hundreds of his cigars over the past couple of years and I'm stumped as to what your problem might be. Perhaps they're being abused by your source? That's the only thing I can think of.

Doc.

What i'm experiencing w/ the dpg products maybe normal, some cigars will have defects, it's just part of it, maybe i'm just being too particular.

It's not big problem, just slightly irritating, and rotating does help some.

Kinda change of subject, last night i smoked a Tat EC release, and what a piece of crap, great taste when i wasn't having to puff like hell to keep it lit. Great draw, but several tunnels that required alot of work. I've had issues w/ the construction of DPG products on quite a few that i've burned, tight draws that don't get better after dry boxing, and tunnels.

Just bought Henry's cigar tool from Heartfelt, does well on loosening up tight draws

I also had a horrible Tatuaje East Coast (it tasted perfumed) that had the same hollows/tunels issues. This also happened in a fiver of DPG Blue Labels I bought a month ago. But, it is happening to a Partagas Serie D No. 4 that I am smoking right now as well. However, I have smoked quite a few other Tatuaje and DPG recently with no problems and haven't had any other problems with my cigars for weeks.

My point is that after having examined things like your RH, humidor seal, and the rest and finding them all to be acceptable, I think that you are facing one of two issues.
#1 As was mentioned above, cigar abuse (knowing or not) by your source.
#2 The Great Wheels of Randomness spun 'round and came up Bar - Bar - Bar for you and you ended up with a handful of poorly made or "bad" cigars. It'll all even out in the end.

I had a DPG Blue Label a few weeks ago, and the draw seemed so loose I wasn't sure there was any filler in the cigar, except that I had big creamy smoke coming out of my mouth. :) Of course, this was following a Short Story which had a very tight draw, so the perception was relative.