• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Update on the status of Cuba from the Miami Herald

If I may:

I've been to Cuba several times. I've been to Santiago de Cuba area, to the coast north of Camaguey (Santa Lucia) and been to Holguin.

Our first trip there was quite eventful as we missed the flight and had to book another, to a different airport and then take a 3-1/2 taxi ride from Holguin to the resort east of Santiago. I had done quite a bit of research and talked to people who had been there, so kind of knew what to expect, but my wife was shocked at the "apparent" squalor these folks lived in. I found we had much to learn.

Over the course of our trips there, we've befriended many Cuban Nationals and have sat at their tables, sharing beer and food with them, and many interesting discussions.

First off, you must define "Poverty". If you look at poverty as; not having a 6 figure salary, not owning a 2400 sq ft house with immaculate grounds and decorated in & out with the latest colours & fashions & appliances, not having the latest iPod / cell / BlackBerry, latest sports car / motorcycle, latest fashion trends, yadda yadda, then yes, they live in poverty. But you know what?? I think the average Cuban is happier with his lot than the average North American. They're a fiercely proud people who will help each other out in a heartbeat. They'll share their last crumb if necessary. They're very proud (for the most part) of their appearance and to see the resort staff and school kids and the way they dress, it's amazing. They have a wonderful sense of family and that's of utmost importance in their lives. Many live in open houses with no glass in the windows, only shutters that are open the majority of the time. My wife said "They don't have any glass in the windows!!" I said "It never gets above 85 or goes below 65, so why in hell would they need glass???"

There are many things that are very hard to come by there, things we consider basic necessities, like toothpaste, soap, toothbrushes, make-up for the ladies, etc. These are rationed for the main reason of balancing the country's exports / imports (or so I understand). Can the locals buy them? Yes, but not as easily or as cheaply as we can. That's why gifts like toiletries to staff are appreciated so much. they're worth more than money to them.

The resorts (as mentioned in a post above) are not close to North American standards. I've stayed in 4 star resorts that compare to a Motel 6 or a Super 8 with 30 year old decor. But they're spotlessly clean and the folks taking care of them take pride in what they do. Basically, many who go to Cuba don't like the place mainly because of the food. Their cuisine is very bland, where black pepper is considered a fairly heavy spice. The quality of beef is poor there. Personally, I believe beef there (for the most part) is an oxen that was killed because it was too old to be worked any more. Only tough Tenderloin I ever had was in Cuba. (Hint, stay away from the beef if you ever go.) But man oh mac, can they ever cook the be-jeezuz out of a pig, a chicken or something that swims. I'll be honest and say that some of the best meals I've ever had on a vacation was there. You get the taste of the meat mildly spiced, if at all, and IMHO, that's not like the N. A. culture. So, you don't like their cuisine, OK, then would you go to India if you don't like spicy food?? (Give me a break.)

Do I support Castro's policies?? For the most part, NO. However, there are some that make sense. A post-secondary education is mandatory there, and those who don't go, are looked upon like deserters. Unfortunately, the education they get doesn't necessarily lead to a high paying job. Someone above mentioned doctors, teachers, etc, working at other "jobs" (legal or otherwise). This is because Tourism basically pays more. Look at it this way, decent jobs there pay 40-60 People's Pesos a week. I always leave a Convertible Peso (CUC) as a tip each time I go to the bar. In his / her money, I just gave them a 24 peso tip (in their currency.) When I was there November past, I paid $1.05 CDN for CUC. What's a buck to me?? Nuttin, I can't buy a coffee for that here, but it's a couple of days wages to them. I'm not saying it's right that a bartender makes more than a doctor, but that's just the way it is!!!! Look at fake smokes (and there's no way this is to be taken as me approving of the "Trade") but I saw a guy pay 40 CUC for a box of (99.9999999999999% chance) Esplendidos. That's nearly 1000 Pesos in their currency. Let's be honest, can you blame 'em???

Let's look at the medical system for a second. Free medical care is a fact there. Unfortunately, for various reasons, the drugs often prescribed aren't available. But the theory behind the system is awesome. Let's take a new mother. She's hospitalized 2 weeks before the birth to rest, be taken care of, and to learn how to care for the Bambino. Then she (and the baby) are kept in hospital for a week after the birth so she can rest, allow her body to start to come back to normal and care for the baby under supervision. Compare that to our society where often the mother works PAST that 2 week period and is then kicked out of hospital a day or 2 after the birth. You tell me who's right in the way they look at some things.

Do any Cubans hate Castro?? Yes, of course they do but they very VERY seldom admit it. Some say (possibly lip service, I know) that they enjoy their way of life and don't want the North American way of life. Some long for the life their "Brothers and Sisters" abroad live and want more from life. In that respect, they're just like us ........ at least, some of them are.

Drew mentions how "creepy" it is to walk along the Malecon at night. I can't speak to that because we always go away from the cities. I'd love to visit Old Havana, but for the most part, if I want hustle & bustle on vacation, I'll stay in Ontario or Detroit.

As for a decrease in National support in tourism, only based on what I've seen, I say "BULLSHIT", and remember, that's only from what I've seen with my own eyes.

Ladies and gentlemen, please don't take this as support of their way of life or Governmental foreign policy. I just want to say things as I see them on my visits there, and until something changes, it will still be first choice as a place to go on vacation.

If anyone has questions or comments on any of the above, please feel free to post here or PM me and I'll answer with honest opinions.

Thanks for reading, and sorry for the length!!!!

Do they hate Americans?? No, no more than the average American hates the Cubans. However, their hate for the US Government may be stronger than an American hatred of Castro, because that's bred into them.

If I may:

I've been to Cuba several times....

Newfie, that's a hell of a post. Well written and well done. This thread is great - lots of perspectives, lots of information. I hope it continues.

First off, you must define "Poverty". If you look at poverty as; not having a 6 figure salary, not owning a 2400 sq ft house with immaculate grounds and decorated in & out with the latest colours & fashions & appliances, not having the latest iPod / cell / BlackBerry, latest sports car / motorcycle, latest fashion trends, yadda yadda, then yes, they live in poverty. But you know what?? I think the average Cuban is happier with his lot than the average North American. They're a fiercely proud people who will help each other out in a heartbeat. They'll share their last crumb if necessary. They're very proud (for the most part) of their appearance and to see the resort staff and school kids and the way they dress, it's amazing. They have a wonderful sense of family and that's of utmost importance in their lives. Many live in open houses with no glass in the windows, only shutters that are open the majority of the time. My wife said "They don't have any glass in the windows!!" I said "It never gets above 85 or goes below 65, so why in hell would they need glass???"

newfie-

well put. your perspective and inclusion of areas outside of havana, definitely help broaden the discussion.

i dont mean to take your comments out of context, i just wanted to repond to the points above. what you decsribe is intrinsic to life in my part of mexico, fiercely proud and generous people who do not define themselves by NA standards of wealth. and while it is noble and even poetic to find humor in life's adversity, the fact that people are struggling to find suitable income is what sets this group of people apart. as hard as it is to imagine, you can be part of a poor mayan family, living in some tiny pueblo in central yucatan, but if you have the initiative and desire you can go out a find opportunities to improve your families economic situation or even go somewhere else where work and opportunity are more plentiful.
you might convince me that the average cuban is harder working or more resourceful than the average american, but you'll never convince me that they are happier. there situation is bad, has gotten worse and they have little hope or remedy for improvement. i have heard some use this arguement and conclude that cubans turn to prostitution because they like sex and do not have the hang ups that westerner have. tell that to the professional woman who has to hang up her lab coat at 5, go home and change for the evening shift crusing the dance clubs near the nacional, hoping to meet some friendly gringo with a penchant for dark woman.

again i reiterate. they are a proud and fascinating populace, for the most part kind and generous. still, they live in standrads that would make poor mexicans cringe.

btw- i live in the tropics. its warm here all the time. we still need windows to keep out the bugs, the rain and, if your lucky, keep in the A/C.

This is quite an interesting thread! Thanks to all for posting their personal accounts of Cuba.

Rob

I agree that this is has been a very fascinating and entertaining read of you guys' experiences in Cuba. Thank you all for giving a glimpse of what you have seen there.

I have to ask, as this has been on my mind since reading this thread, how many of you guys that have been there and posted on this thread feel that you have seen a realistic representation of life in Cuba? I do not mean to insult anyone who has offered up their personal experinces, but what makes what you have seen a more adequate representation than what newspaper reporters have seen and written about? What I mean by this question is that I have heard "personal accounts" about the cuban culture, economic condition, and general well-being that ranged from the most-deprived horrid conditions in the western hemisphere to a beautiful, proud, and enchanting country. The truth obviously lies somewhere in between, but the question is toward what end of the spectrum?

Anyways, thanks again to our BOTLs from the North and South of the U.S. for telling their experiences and giving us some things to think about!

Wilkey, I also agree, as for the economy of Cuba, Michigan is losing 20,000 jobs a year. With those jobs go people and money.

Yup, things are not improving here. Perhaps, like Cubans, we will end up only getting to watch the rest of the world smoking the good cigars.

Cheers,
antaean

*** Pre-warning: VENT ***

And guess where I saw the Governor of the state today. She was at the auto show sitting in a concept Cadillac CTS Coupe with a big smile on her face. I almost wanted to hiss like some other people in the crowd around her, but I held my tongue.

Shouldn't she be trying to figure out how to pay for the Cobo expansion if she is there to announce it?

As a frequent traveler to the island there are a few things that must be pointed out. The Herald article was reminiscing about years past, not about the current situation which is why the article might seem misleading for some. In the early 90's cats did dissapear and were eaten. Hookers have been jailed for 2-3 years, there are jails full of them. I personally know people that have been jailed 2-3 years for attempting to leave in a raft. The US Dollar does lose 20% againt the CUC, most other currencies around 10%. Cuba is expensive in comparison to other Caribbean islands on certain things. I just recently rented a POS Peugot 207 in Havana for $75/day + all kinds of BS fees that ended up in costing me $250 for a two day rental. However meals and drinks can be had fairly inexpensive...there is a Spanish restaurant on 58 St and 37 Ave (Playa) that sells 3 Lobster tails $6.50, Red Snapper $4.00 and most beers $1.25. It is not fair to compare Cuba with any other island in the Caribbean as there are conditions that don't permit them to be the same. The medical system is a disaster for the common folk. Dengue is a uncontrollable problem that the government is sweeping under the rug. The government continually lies about their statistics in economics, tourism, and health/medicine. For example they state that infant deaths/1000 for 2007 was 5.3 children/1000 born. In the US it was 6/1000. Do you actually beleive that a third world country with no running water and a per capita income of less than $1000/year is going to have the #1 statistic in the world? A million tourists? Are you kidding? Is that such a great number? That breaks down to 2700 tourists/day. Many hotels in Havana have been converted for Chavez's "Plan Milagro" (The miracle plan): free medical operations that would otherwise be costly for his party supporters in exchange for barrels of oil. If you doubt this take a trip down to Marina Hemingway (which used to be one of my favorite places) and it is run over with very low class Venezuelans waiting for their free operations. Who is paying for this and who is benefitting? The Cuban doctors doing the operation don't even get a few liters of free gas thrown their way, the general public does not benefit from this free oil as well as most of it is reported to to be sold to the Bahamas or nearby countries. Try to get a room in Marina Hemingway and they will just tell you: "no this place is full of Venezuelans". So tourism is not a priority. Chavez is their tourist. Beleive what you want, but every move that the Communist party does is calculated to line their pockets not help out the common folk. Much propaganda is thrown on both sides. However, one thing is for sure is that the common folk has its head above water due to the efforts of Cubans that live in Miami not Canada/Europe. If it was not for the people/churches/agencies that dedicate themselves to send clothing/goods/$$$ to the island Cuba would be worse (if that could be imagined). John

Being from Miami we hear alot about this and (as trite as it sounds) my gardener also shares what it is like in Cuba these days. He has family down there and visits often. I would ask him to pay me in product but he does such a great job I would be heartbroken if he got in trouble bringing them back into the US :)

You would be amaized how hard it is to find a reliable honest landscaper down here. But there are days that my "urges" almost get the best of me...

Question: Vintage American made autos... how prevalent?

funny, my dad is an clssic car fiend so i took him with me on my last trip. we spent the week in havan looking at and photographing old cars. in the end he was disappointed because most of the remaining american cars are sedans(less desirable to collectors) and even worse they are in horrible condition with bondo galore.

a few years ago they were exporting cars through mexico, but no more.

99% of the cars are in extremely bad shape. You might find one here and there that cosmetically looks nice but most of the rides need to be Pimped. We have a 55 Buick Special with a in line 8 cylinder (the engine was out of a '53) that even with a one barrel carburetor from a Lada (Russian Fiat) it drinks gas like crazy. I think that some of the vehicles that are decomissioned from the general public is being auctioned on the internet. John