• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Updated Frigidor info

AKmik

Hello all,

I just figured I would post some updated info, and some improvements I have made since I plugged in my Frigidor in May.

Here is the origonal post with the build in progress Humi build

Well a few upgrades and design changes have evolved out of using the cooler. It really does hold quite a few cigars, the box puzzle is quite fun at times, but it is greatly improved on by drilling adjustable shelving holes in the cabinet sides to accept 1.4" shelf pegs. It is much easier to accomodate odd shaped boxes now. I also routed the condensation into the beads as described in some other wine cooler conversion posts.

The condensation drains directly into a pound of 70% heartfelt beads. The plate is a $2 bed bath and beyond clearence item.
Picture012-vi.jpg

Also two small platforms were added in the back corners for two 1/4 lb tubes of 65% HF beads. I do have a combo of beads for now, this is holding perfectly tho so I am in no rush to get more beads. The space behind and in front of the shelf and singles trays is about 1 1/4" which allows good air flow in the cooler.

Ok here is some updated info. the cooling fans and ac/dc converter are from www.coolerguys.com , I think the complete order of the two fans, converter, and the wires was about $38, add another $12 for a Timex digital light timer. The timer cycles on for 30 mins off for 90 mins. This cycle keeps the cooler a steady 65f and RH swings fron 62% to 65% which is perfect for me.

Here is the high tech wire diagram. power strip to wall, Vinotemp wine cooler to power strip, Fans plugged in to ac/dc converter to adaptor plug into the Timex light timer to the power strip. Very high tech plug in wiring, and the loose wires are tucked into one precision wire management toilet paper roll which is hot glued to the back of the base cabinet to keep everything contained. Also the holes drilled in the back for the fan wires are pligged with foam ear plugs, Insulating hole plugs ? ???
Picture016-vi.jpg

After six months of running I can honestly say I love it. A worth wile project if you are thinking about a cooled humidor. Total cost was around $350. Now it is stuffed with all kinds of goodies. If you can not tell I dig the Fuente goodness.

Picture018-vi.jpg

Picture-vi.jpg

Nice work!

And thanks for posting this here rather than trying to stuff it into a pm lol!

Yeah man,

I figured it was better to post it here. You were about the fifth guy to ask these questions. It is a sweet rig. About to be one #55 light in a minute.

You are very talented, well done!

There are a few guys on here making a living out of manufacturing humidors. Your system appears to work very well, you
could duplicate it and charge $1,000, if you consider your competition coming in at +- $4,000...just the way my brain works...LOL

Brian

Yep. I love mine as well. I have no complaints....other than I think I need a second unit! The wife would have a coronary if I did that. Until the coronary event, I just play tetris with all the boxes. I really am amazed at how many I was able to cram into this thing! Mike, I also added luaun shelving and an automated fan to mine to keep things up and up. Cheap, simple and very effective. Good job fellow wine cooler BOTL.

I've already prodded him to start making Vino-Dor kits :whistling:

So far he ain't budging...

Very very nice bro! One quick set of Q's though. What are the dimensions of the whole interior, and how many boxes have you been able to fit in there? Also, how many singels trays do you use? Thanks!

I absolutely love how you filled the interior with (spanish cedar i'm assuming) amongst the other various modifications you've done to your vinotemp. The only modification I have done to mine so far is add 1/4 inch thick spanish cedar slide panels and replacing them with the metal shelves.

Thanks gents,

To answer your questions, the lining and trays are all Spanish cedar, the trays hold about 2 1/2 boxes of loose stogies each. Between the Frigidor and a med size desk top I have the better part of 15 boxes I would guess. It holds LOTS of singles.

I think I could sell a pile of pre fab lining kits. I have recieved a bunch of e mails asking for one, but I am so backed up in the shop right now it is not possible until spring. Rifle stocks, 1911 grips and a bunch of half built knives are going to keep me busy for the winter.

It was easy to do though, definitely worth the time. It cuts like butter, and the entire thing is tacked in place with a hot glue gun, so assembly took like 20 mins once everything fit right.

Almost forgot, The cabinet is 14"w x 13"d x 24"h at the front edge, at the back - 5/8" in every direction. I had the lining in and out about five times for fitting.

Nice set up. Well thought of design. Congrats :thumbs:

Man that looks great!! I can't wait untill I get some free time to build myself one!!

One question though, how is the condensation routed into the beads??? Does it just drip down into the pan!

Very nice! I think I might be interested in a kit if you decide to produce it.

Wilkey

Man that looks great!! I can't wait untill I get some free time to build myself one!!

One question though, how is the condensation routed into the beads??? Does it just drip down into the pan!

Here is a detailed pic of a routed condesation flow.

edited to say: sorry for the threadjack/threadsharing Mike!

Yeah man, that's where I got the idea from. The more info the better on this one. I may build a monster one day.

Here is my hight tech solution
Picture013-vi.jpg

the lid to pastries at Publix.

I just returned from a one month vacation and the unit held pretty well with zero servicing.

Hi AK,

One problem I was running into when diverting the moisture to the bottom tray pan, was that the beads become over saturated (fairly quickly might I add). What have you done to limit this or to avoid having to drain the water and drying out your beads? At the moment my fridge isn't plugged in and the temp averages 67-70F in the basement during winter seasons. Thanks in advanced for all the input!

Eugene

Eugene,

Good question. I had to tackle that problem early on . The drain that the cooler had was a small tube with two 90 deg bends in it, and it was plugged with the insulating foam from the cabinet. I discovered this cool feature about a weekor so after turning the unit on with the new cedar lining. I had to replace the wet floor, so I pulled it out and drilled a hole straight down through the drain large enough to slide a fine sharpie through. I then removed the guts from the sharpie cut the tube to length, roughed it up and installed it. It has a tight fit, and I was able to get some 5min epoxy between it and the insulating foam , so It is bonded very strong, with a good seal from the outside, no epoxy inside. I also sealed that joint on the inside with the hot glue gun, I was just being careful to keep the epoxied joint completely sealed off from the interior, the HG is non toxic and seals well enough.

Tube will drain out instantly now, no pooling of condensation at all. Also the glass dish in the bottom of the humidor has a drain hole drilled through it, and the cabinet is leveled across the front but sloped rear to allow draining if need be. It has a flat bottom so I was able to use a diamond burr in my drill press to drill a 1/4" drain hole, which is placed directly over the drain in the cabinet back. The beads constantly re use the condensation, In my pic that is what the dish looked like after a short one month trip away, I stirred the wet beads to the front, but that was it. The drain is mearly a fresh air inlet at this point. There is a small ammount of beads in the drain as well, any moisture would flow right through but it is closed.

The new placement in the house is in a much cooler corner. The cabinet is holding 63f and 62-63RH.

Hmmm. I have had my Vino-Dor running for 2 weeks or so (filled with boxes and about 2 lbs of 65% beads) and I have not seen any condensation at all - not a drop. Both temp and RH hold steady in a range between 62 and 66. Makes me wonder if my seal isn't particularly tight.

Hmmm. I have had my Vino-Dor running for 2 weeks or so (filled with boxes and about 2 lbs of 65% beads) and I have not seen any condensation at all - not a drop. Both temp and RH hold steady in a range between 62 and 66. Makes me wonder if my seal isn't particularly tight.

I haven't seen any in mine either. I'm going to have to check mine out tonight as well.

I haven't seen any in mine either. I'm going to have to check mine out tonight as well.

Or maybe we are just uber and lucky.

Heh. Not. :laugh: