• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Uptown Cigar Company relocating to FL!

uptown_isy

The Man Uptown
This is our press release that I'd like to share with everyone....

Kingston, NY – After nearly 14 years in Kingston, Uptown Cigar Company today announced that it will relocate to Florida and close its retail store effective June 30th. Uptown Cigar Company was opened as a neighborhood, family owned and operated cigar store and has grown into one of the cigar community’s premiere retail and online destination sites for quality tobacco products and superior service.

Owner Michelle Tuchman announced the relocation with regret. “I am a New York resident and have been privileged to serve customers both from within the State and across the world through our online presence. However, the rising cost of doing business here in New York no longer allows me to offer my customers a competitive experience and we are forced to move our thriving business to Florida where the accumulated taxes and fees are reasonable.”

When Uptown Cigar Company was founded, New York State’s excise tax on tobacco products was at 20%. Over the years, the industry in New York saw the tax increased first to 37% and then to 46% -- far outpacing the tax rates in other states. This year’s Executive Budget advanced by Governor Paterson proposes to increase the already uncompetitive excise tax to 90%. It is expected that the Legislature will approve this tax increase as part of a final budget deal.

“When I close my store, regrettably I will be forced to lay off 2 full time and 1 part time employees and leave yet another vacant retail space in Kingston,” said Tuchman. “This is, however, the only way I can continue to serve my clients with an even better selection and better prices. Sadly, I think Uptown Cigar Company may be the first tangible casualty of the State’s unending appetite for tax and fee increases.”

Uptown Cigar Company will continue to be found at our updated, secure website, www.uptowncigar.com and toll-free number 877-238-1172. Israel Markevitz, A/K/A Uptown Isy, will be moving along with the business, and will be available to help our loyal customers enjoy their favorite smokes as they have for the past fourteen years. He can be reached at Israel@uptowncigar.com.

Come and get lit with Uptown Cigar Company and Marvin Samel from Drew Estate on Friday, June 18th.

Uptown Cigar Company will be relocating to FLORIDA effective July 1st, and we'd like to say THANK YOU to ALL of our customers for the tremendous support & friendship you've given us over the course of 14 years. The event will begin at 5 PM (of course you are welcome all day long). We will miss you here, and we hope to continue to serve you from our new home in FL. Hope to see all of you here on 6/18! .

Israel - it's unfortunate that you have to move, but my hope is that this change works out as a huge positive step, for you and the good folks at Uptown. I will miss my trips to Kingston, however......:(

My very best wishes to you and all at Uptown - B.B.S.

Group buy on your snow blower?

Good luck on the move.

John

Hey! Good to see you're moving with them Isy! Shoot, you're Uptown Isy, why wouldn't ya? :p I will continue to be a faithful customer to you, you always treat me right. ;)

Another Kingdom of the Realm is lost...

Good luck in the new location!

R

Israel, good luck on the move. It's a shame that you're being taxed out of business, but hopefully the move will provide some great new opportunities.

Sad indeed! The only upside is that Uptown could afford to relocate. Many others will likely close, leaving the owners to pay off their debt doing something they don't love.

Israel, good luck on the move. It's a shame that you're being taxed out of business, but hopefully the move will provide some great new opportunities.

Correction....We're not being taxed out of business. We're being taxed into relocating....BIG difference. But we're relocating so that it doesn't come to being taxed out of business.

Great news all around, Isy. Trading the ugly that is upstate NY to the gorgeous Florida landscape

Well I'm glad I got down there at least once Isy....good luck to you and the crew. You will be missed .

Good to hear that you guys are able to stay in business. Just hope nobody intercepts the moving truck :)

Best of luck in the new location, Isy! Where in Florida are you headed, and when's the grand opening?

Isy...thanks for the heads up. Sorry to hear that you guys will be leaving Kingston. Damn NYS tobacco taxes. Outrageous the way government operates. I'm also sorry to hear about your co-workers, but happy that you will be relocating with Uptown to Sunny (but humid) Florida. Congrats on the move, and I wish you and Uptown continued success down South. Anyway you can disclose where down South?

Sad to hear the news, but it will work out well for you. You will learn to love Florida!

Ken

Sorry to hear you guys have to relocate. Wishing you nothing but the best in Florida, Isy.

Take care,
Eric

This is no shit. Ethan Allen once said, "New York sucks. If it weren't for the cannoli and knishes it wouldn't be worth the powder to blow it to hell." Really, he said that.

Doc.

It's sad that you will no longer be a little over an hour drive from me. However now when we visit FL during those cold NE winters I have great friend to visit in FL. Good luck to everyone Isy.