• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

US Flag on the ground

Anthem

Stay Thankful
Family,

It is too often I have been sitting watching a local store closing for the night while the employee comes out and takes the flag down, just letting it flop on the ground. Well the other day I had seen it too many times and approached the young guy in the moment. I am no martyr for doing this, I simply told him he should have more respect for our flag because he was representing the business he was working for and that there are many people who may become hostile seeing his actions, not to mention an American flag should never touch the ground. He was cool about it and so was I.

I just want to know if anyone else is seeing this.

With all my care,

Matthew

Being in military communities most of my life, it wasn't a common occurrence, but I do gently correct it when I see it. A lot of good men and women fell to the ground so that flag never would. I get irked at sporting events and other gatherings where the national anthem is played and people do not pay the proper respect by removing their cover. Some people are just that ignorant, some people are just that stupid. My youngest daughter still stops and salutes every time she hears it, simply from seeing me every time. My oldest knows to stop and place her hand over her heart.

Good on ya for approaching the guy, and it's even better that he may now understand what he was doing and why he needs to pay more attention/respect.

*EDITED for I don't know WTF happened there...*

I can't say that I've ever seen what you've described happen but what really disappoints me is when you see a flag that has not been taken care of properly. The ones that have obviously been neglected and are tattered, torn, tangled in tree branches, or extremely faded. Thankfully some of the members of the local American Legion post offer to replace these flags for some free of charge just so that they can be given the proper respect they deserve.

The flag is to be treated as a living thing. The respect our flag should receive has been built by the millions of brave men and women who were willing to put it all on the line. I think the military members of society absolutely get it, but many of the non-military haven't ever been taught flag etiquette and the reasons for it. Damned shame. :(

It's hard to get pissed at someone for not understanding flag etiquette, all you can do is explain it to them.

The same thing with hat on for the national anthem, I think most people don't know the rule anymore.

As a side note, isn't it prohibited to use the flag on anything temporary, like a box or an envelope? Yet the USPS uses it on stamps all the time.

I gave my neighbor shit for hanging his flag on the wrong side of his front door. Normally I wouldn't have said anything. It's not that big a faux pas, but his father is the Post Commander of the local VFW.:rolleyes:

Doc.

I have to admit Doc, I am not aware of a definite rule on a specific side of the door a flag must hang outside of a home.

The research I did prior to hanging mine said that it could be either side, but in a position of prominence. If two flags are flown, then the US flag is on the left.

Can you site specific guidance otherwise? I really would like to know so that if I am missing something I can fix it.

I believe it's the same rule that applies to stages and podiums. The flag must be on the right when facing the audience or going out your door. The flag is always on the right. This applies to color guards etc. Perhaps civillian doors ways are cut some slack, but you can't go wrong with the flag Stage Right.

Doc.

My ex wife is a fuggin commie (really) when I'm interacting with my kids at a school event they always do the pledge of allegiance. That bitch does her best to get my kids to not do it. They still do though.
Damn I chose poorly.

Isn't there a rule that if the flag touches the ground it is to be burned?

Way back when I was a young Captain I stopped at a Burger King at about sundown. There I am looking out the window when one of the employee's lowers the flag and then stuffs it into a large gray garbage can which is apparently where they kept it. Not being the nicest guy on the block I went up to the counter and asked for the manager. I told him that in no uncertain terms I would interrupt my travels to make sure that every newspaper, radio station, VFW post and American legion within 50 miles would hear about this and boycott his establishment. I told him that I would be returning to his area in two or three weeks and he had better have trained his staff on the proper way to take care of a flag.or I would be the first one standing in front of his place in uniform telling everybody how he is un-American.

Needless to say when I passed through again two people went out to lower the flag and while they didn't get the folds quite right it was a dramatic improvement and one that remained that over the 10 years that I passed by there on and off. That was probably 20+ years ago and I haven't been in that part of the country again but I wonder if they still take care of the flag as they did the last time I was there.

Sometimes people need a kick in the ass and sometimes they need a slap on the back but mostly they need the slap on the back after you've kicked their ass.