• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Use a old cigar box as a humidor ?

sichumortjouepu

Hi everyone , it is my first topic on that forum.

I bought today a old cigar box at my local antique shop and I would like to use it as a humidor. It is made out of wood, have a great smell just like my regular humidor. My only concern is the interior have a single layer of lacquer, it doesn't smell but i am afraid it might change the taste of my cigars.

Inside it says : Webster's clear havana, If you know a bit about that company I'd like to know !

Here's the pictures

http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc459/sichumortjouepu/

I wouldn't do it. Yours could be an exception, but cigar boxes as a rule don't make good humidors. Why risk it?

I agree with Kari. I wouldn't do it. I would think that you have to overcome serious sealing issues to make it function as a humidor.

edit for spelling.

Put your cigar box inside a cooler and you're good to go......:p

I'm learning towards putting a layer of felt on the bottom and putting in my nice lighters and cutters on my smoking desk. That is a nice conversation piece you don't normally find.

T[sup]hat looks like it is a humidor
To ornate to be a box jmho

Don

[/sup]

It's nice to get a interesting question now and again. A clear Havana cigar is a cigar manufactured in the US prior to 1961 with Cuban tobacco. In those wonderful by gone days even Robert Burns and King Edward the VII cigars were made with Cuban leaf and sometime wrapped with Ct. shade.

Doc

I'm learning towards putting a layer of felt on the bottom and putting in my nice lighters and cutters on my smoking desk. That is a nice conversation piece you don't normally find.

That's a pretty neat box. This is what I was thinking I would do with it. Judging by the brass feet on it, I'd have to believe it was more than just a simple cigar box, as well. Would be a very cool place to store your smoking accoutrements!

That's a pretty neat box. This is what I was thinking I would do with it. Judging by the brass feet on it, I'd have to believe it was more than just a simple cigar box, as well. Would be a very cool place to store your smoking accoutrements!

Depending on you climate, I would think it would make a decent humidor. You could put singles in it as long as you used a decent humidifier. (Heartfelt Beads). I would see no reason why it wouldnt be as decent as most humidors that size.

Run some tests and see if it'll hold humidity. If it does, then use it.

Looks like a humidor to me....get some beads and fire it up.....just make sure it seals well....

It's nice to get a interesting question now and again. A clear Havana cigar is a cigar manufactured in the US prior to 1961 with Cuban tobacco. In those wonderful by gone days even Robert Burns and King Edward the VII cigars were made with Cuban leaf and sometime wrapped with Ct. shade.

Doc

A cool snippet of information, Doc! Thanks!

As for the box, I'd suggest seeing if it holds humidity. Season it like you would any humidor and see if you can get it stable. If so, use it.

Updates !

I use a box of cigar that I had, destroyed it, and use the wood to cover the bottom and the sides inside to had extra protection since I did not wanted to put my cigars straight on the varnish wood. The box his pretty small (It can barely hold an entire box of corona) didn't took long to get the humidity at a good level and it's been holding steady for the last 3 days.

Here's a picture :

http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc459/sichumortjouepu/

I agree. A cigar box is great for storing a lot of things, but as a humidor that is specifically designed to control the temperature as well as keep your cigars fresh... there's just no substitute.

I agree. A cigar box is great for storing a lot of things, but as a humidor that is specifically designed to control the temperature as well as keep your cigars fresh... there's just no substitute.

Do you have an Avallo temperature controlled cigar cabinet or something?

-Mark

You can also use it as a "dry box".

Just a thought, since you say it doesn't
hold many cigars, anyway.

Chemyst :cool: