• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

USPS has lost my packages, how long can cigars last?

hangten

Reaction score
The USPS has some how lost not one but two cigar packages that I have coming to me. One has been misplaced for a week and a half, the other box has been lost for almost a week. The people at USPS have been very unhelpful and I have spoken to a dozen people in two offices including supervisors but none of them have been any help. They are a bunch of ****** :angry: Anyway, sorry for the rant but my question is how long can cigars last in vacuum sealed packages? I may still get my packages but I am worried about the condition I will receive them in. If they were sealed or ziplocked how long will it take for them to dry out? Also there is the beetle worry. It's been cold in Chicago but today it hit 64 and is sunny. So in a truck it could hit 70s. Could there be a beetle problem hatching?

Oh how I can hate the USPS.

Also, can anybody lend any advice on how to handle this?

Thanks
Duane

I've had them do the same. My cigars came three weeks late in the middle of a 90 degree June. Luckily they were just fine. My worry would be that they shipped with one of those water pillows. Heat and that much moisture could be disasterous. I've never had beetles so I am not sure about the hatching problem.

Duane since it is in the 60's in Chicago got out and have a cigar and enjoy.

Depending how the cigars were shipped and how long it has been I wouldn't worry too much. If you purchased them from a reputable vendor they would have no problem in sending you a replacement.

Good luck and enjoy that cigar.

The USPS has some how lost not one but two cigar packages that I have coming to me. One has been misplaced for a week and a half, the other box has been lost for almost a week. The people at USPS have been very unhelpful and I have spoken to a dozen people in two offices including supervisors but none of them have been any help. They are a bunch of ****** :angry: Anyway, sorry for the rant but my question is how long can cigars last in vacuum sealed packages? I may still get my packages but I am worried about the condition I will receive them in. If they were sealed or ziplocked how long will it take for them to dry out? Also there is the beetle worry. It's been cold in Chicago but today it hit 64 and is sunny. So in a truck it could hit 70s. Could there be a beetle problem hatching?

Thanks
Duane

All the more reason to do a search here on freezing your cigars before they make it into contact with any others in your humi. There are many methods and theories, which is why I advise searching.

Yeah, I have read about freezing and will definitely do so when I receive the cigars. Here's an off question, but if beetles did hatch into larvae and were still in the cigar when you froze them will they impart a taste? Just wondering.

And as far as vendors, one will definitely replace it but the other was a newbie sampler :( Oh, well. I can only wait and see.

Thanks
Duane

All the more reason to do a search here on freezing your cigars before they make it into contact with any others in your humi. There are many methods and theories, which is why I advise searching.

Yeah, I have read about freezing and will definitely do so when I receive the cigars. Here's an off question, but if beetles did hatch into larvae and were still in the cigar when you froze them will they impart a taste? Just wondering.

It's the beetles that give the cigars the good taste! :laugh:

Seriously though, even the best, most expensive cigars in the world are likely to have beetle larvae.
There is no way beetles will hatch in 70 degree ambient temperatures IMO, that's the temp most people
store their cigars.

Brian

MMM, burnt beetle! Has anyone experinced seing a beetle jump out of the cigar to avoid the fiery demise? :laugh: Or maybe saw some burnt beetle/larva carcasses? Sorry for the corniness, I'm just trying to releive some frustration.

It's the beetles that give the cigars the good taste! :laugh:

Seriously though, even the best, most expensive cigars in the world are likely to have beetle larvae.
There is no way beetles will hatch in 70 degree ambient temperatures IMO, that's the temp most people
store their cigars.

Brian

"Hints of honey, earth, and burnt beetle larvae finish off the complexity of this nice 'gar"...

Well, the ending to this story is a good one but after all my inquisitions to the USPS they finally delivered my packages! I have my packages shipped to a UPS store and the clerk told me they delivered 15 other late packages as well! Oh well, count me as one happy camper.

I saw the title of this and the first thing I thought of was the King Missile song Detachable Penis. Does that make me weird?

I woke up this morning with a bad hangover
And my penis was missing again.
This happens all the time.
It's detachable.
This comes in handy a lot of the time.
I can leave it home, when I think it's gonna get me in trouble,
or I can rent it out, when I don't need it.
But now and then I go to a party, get drunk,
and the next morning I can't for the life of me
remember what I did with it.

Ha! Yeah the title does sound like a song title. :laugh:

I saw the title of this and the first thing I thought of was the King Missile song Detachable Penis. Does that make me weird?

I woke up this morning with a bad hangover
And my penis was missing again.
This happens all the time.
It's detachable.
This comes in handy a lot of the time.
I can leave it home, when I think it's gonna get me in trouble,
or I can rent it out, when I don't need it.
But now and then I go to a party, get drunk,
and the next morning I can't for the life of me
remember what I did with it.

I've had them do the same. My cigars came three weeks late in the middle of a 90 degree June. Luckily they were just fine. My worry would be that they shipped with one of those water pillows. Heat and that much moisture could be disasterous. I've never had beetles so I am not sure about the hatching problem.

Wow it's already in the 90's here now! I have some cigars on the way so this will be my first heat experiment. Mail/UPS comes late in the day so it will be on a hot truck all day then in the sun via my westward facing house. I don't know what people's opinions of REALLY warm temps and beetles relations are but basically I don't think I can order any more cigars from now until October when it's get back into the 80's.

Wow it's already in the 90's here now! I have some cigars on the way so this will be my first heat experiment. Mail/UPS comes late in the day so it will be on a hot truck all day then in the sun via my westward facing house. I don't know what people's opinions of REALLY warm temps and beetles relations are but basically I don't think I can order any more cigars from now until October when it's get back into the 80's.

Was in the 90's here also today. I have not had a problem with ordering sticks year round and never had a beetle problem with even pretty intense heat. Alsonot had a problem with cracking wrappers.