• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

V.S.O.P

Triple_D

Triple_D
Someone gave me this cigar and I don't know what it is. It is a double corona, I know this much. it has a silver and gold band that says PREMIUM DOMINICAN, V.S.O.P. , HECHO A MANO, VINTAGE RESERVE. Commas indicate new line. What is it and how good is it? Thx in advance even if you don't know.

Sorry don't know for sure.

VSOP -- very special old pale
aged minimum of six years

That's in the cognac world though.

Not sure as I could not find a description but the are $28 for a box of 25

oh well it was free. :D I'll smoke it and maybe even do a review. My buddy is a pest control guy and last time the same person gave him 2 monte #2 habana's. So we were hoping these were something good.

Robbmt said:
Sorry don't know for sure.

VSOP -- very special old pale
aged minimum of six years

That's in the cognac world though.
I thought it was "Very Special Old Port"?

Nope, it's "pale"

BEGIN:
soapbox.gif

Port is a fortified wine invented by the English who at some point when they were at war with France (and therefore couldn't get French wine in the same way we can't get cuban cigars :D ) went to Portugal, got some of their red wine and added brandy to it. They added brandy to it because it was generally not palatable to the British.

Cognac on the other hand is a distilled product made predominantly from ugni blanc grapes which make a horrible wine. After its distilled, it ages in oak casks. The French are glad that the Dutch taught them how to distill otherwise the Cognac region of France would have the worst wine in the country :D

Cognacs that are aged for two years minimum may be called "VS" or very special. In order to be called "VO" (very old), "VSO" (very special old) or "VSOP" (very special old PALE) it has to be aged for a minimum of four years. "XO" is six years minimum.

Now, those are MINIMUMS, for instance a very good cognac manufacturer's VSOP is ten year min, and their XO is 30 year min. The 30 year stuff can run $180.00 a bottle and you can find 50 year cognacs but they'll run ya $350.00 a bottle. Oh, one more thing, after 50 years, they take it out of the oak casks and put it in glass so it doesn't get too bitter.

Hey, we've been known to spend that on cigars too!!

Oh, and sorry TripleD for the thread jack. VSOP cigars are cheapies, no wait I mean "affordable" I DID NOT say dog rocket!! Lots of people call my Connies and Remedios similar names but I LOVE 'em just the same and you might like that VSOP just as much as I like my Connies ;)

END:
soapbox.gif

I could be wrong, but I believe that the "S" in VSOP and such stands for "superior", not special.

LOL, Now that you mention it Swe-Mike, I pretty sure you are correct!!!

Too funny, here I am carrying on and I missed one of the basics :D

See, I told you guys I'm not that smart ;)

On all my congnac bottles at the house they say special not superior.

my .02 on this one

phil

Well, Otard calls theirs "Superior" but another place I found calls is "Special" so
dunno.gif

Oh, and Phil if you got all that Cognac at your house, when ya inviting us all over for dinner :D

Well you guys lost me. After hitting a few trees I really don't drink that often anymore. I do have some Gurkha's dipped in cognac :D maybe it was a very special old pale that it was dipped in.

No complaints on the free stogie just wondering why this guy would go from Monte #2 habana's to Thompson's????