• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Va/Per

theginguy

Hey all, yesterday was spent smoking nothing but P.S.'s Bullseye Flake and Navy Flake.

I had been trying both of these in the last week off and on and I was almost ready to throw them out. Thinking that the Perique was just too "over the top" for my newbe taste buds. But, yesterday, I decided to give the Navy Flake one more try... the top bowl was still pretty hot and peppery. So I slowed down and shoved my Cob pipe stem way back into my mouth. Just sipp'n on it. I then started to kind of treat my pipe like a cigar. Just never minding my slobber and just getting some big puffs to slowly develop in my mouth and then exhaling.

All I can say is Wow! That made a huge difference. The tobacco mellowed out and I started to get a great deep sweet Virginia note and as it progressed, it turned more earth, presumably from the Perique. But anyway... it was a great smoke. I hit the zone on these two blends.

So anyway... these are the only two VaPer's I've tried. I still have some minor problems with them. They seem to still bite a little and they are both dry my mouth out alot. But I love the taste, aroma, sweetness and strength.

So I was wondering if anyone would like to comment on what their main VaPer is and why?

The two VaPer's that have been suggested to me and keep coming up in online discussions are of course Escudo and also McClelland's 2015.

I hesitate to order order the 2015, because I'm not a big fan of the Heinz 57 note on their Virginia's. So I thought I would just cut to the chase and order a can of Escudo, but I thought I would check here first in case anyone had any other opinions.

Though I have not had the 2015 the Escudo is fantastic. Both of the PS's that you chose are a couple of my favs as well.
B

Im not a big Va/Per fan. I usually gravitate towards English, but for some reason I love Escudo. C & D Cajun Kake is a close second. I'll usually break them out when I need a change of pace.

Love the Luxury Bullseye Flake, too. Give C&D's bulk Night Train a try as well - VAper with some Burley and a little Cav packaged in a dense cake.

- Tim

I guess my favorite is C&D Exhausted Rooster.

Many like Escudo which is much like P.S. Bullseye Flake.

Another fav is McConnell's Scottish Cake

Steve

Hello, I have smoked both the Escudo and the 2015 and have to say I don't think you can go wrong with either one,I enjoy them both! To me the 2015 seems to have more emphasis on the Virginia,the perique is very subtle. if perique tends to dry your mout,but you enjoy good sweet stoved virginias I'd go with the 2015. Oh what the hell! just do what I do when I can't decide, order one of each,after all one can never have too much tobacco aging. I tell my wife its an investment! Old well aged tobacco has become quite valuable. Trouble is every time she sees me cracking a new tin open I get questioned about consuming my "investments" Small price to pay for a full cellar! Let us know what you decide and liked.

Cheers, Marty

Another fun thing to do is get some blending perique(C&D or McConnell or McClelland) and add it to everything! In Particular, your favorite VAs.

Be curious,
Though interfering friends may frown.
Get furious
At each attempt to hold you down.
If this advice you always employ
The future can offer you infinite joy
And merriment,

Experiment :p

I believe the only VaPer I have had was "Dunbar". I thought it was very nice. I actually still have some I need to get goin soon

I'm a huge fan of Escudo and have quite a bit of it stocked in the cellar. Other popular VAPers are Fillmore by GLP and Exhausted Rooster by C&D... I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Apparently, the ultimate VAPer of all time was the original Three Nuns, I haven't had the pleasure of trying it yet.

Two others that immediately come to mind are Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake (from pipesandcigars.com also at 4noggins.com) and Sam Gawith St. James Flake. Both are very well regarded VA/per.

Two others that immediately come to mind are Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake (from pipesandcigars.com also at 4noggins.com) and Sam Gawith St. James Flake. Both are very well regarded VA/per.

Another thumbs up for Anni Kake!

- Tim

That's funny--I had exactly the same experience with the Stokkebye Navy Flake. Bought an ounce from the local shop at the beginning of my pipe-smoking career (more for the manly name than anything else), took it home, hated the stuff, then tried it again after a few months of refining my technique and was amazed at how much more I liked it.

Well, I've found my Va/Per

Since having several bowls of the Stokkebye's Va/Per's I've also tried C&D's Night Train, pipesandcigars Anniversary Kake and MacClelland's 2015.

The Night Train is very strong and cigar like. It was too much for me. So I have an ounce if anyone wants to try it.

The 2015 had the classic Heinze 57 tin note, but strangely enough, I didn't pick that taste or smell up while smoking it. It is very smooth and the Perique adds a good pepper note along with the pungent, earthy, mushroom note. It was a very decent smoke and I can see why it's a standard for Va/Per's. But....

The Anniversary Kake was as my 3 year old daughter put's it... "Yum Yum Yummy Yum Yum!!!!"

It has become my first definite, for sure, with out a doubt, permanent rotation tobacco. There are some blends that are very close to making my permanent rotation, but I haven't quite decided on them yet. But as far as my Va/Per; Anniversary Kake is it.

Now I just need to decide on a straight Virginia, a Balkan, an English and a couple of mild aromatics.. lol!

The only other Va/Per I want to try now is Three Friar's ( which is supposed to be close to Three Nuns, which was supposed to be C.R. Lewis's goto blend ) and of course Escudo. But being as Anniversary Kake is much cheaper then Escudo, I don't see it winning out.

Thank's again for all the great inputs.

Well, I've found my Va/Per

Since having several bowls of the Stokkebye's Va/Per's I've also tried C&D's Night Train, pipesandcigars Anniversary Kake and MacClelland's 2015.

The Night Train is very strong and cigar like. It was too much for me. So I have an ounce if anyone wants to try it.

The 2015 had the classic Heinze 57 tin note, but strangely enough, I didn't pick that taste or smell up while smoking it. It is very smooth and the Perique adds a good pepper note along with the pungent, earthy, mushroom note. It was a very decent smoke and I can see why it's a standard for Va/Per's. But....

The Anniversary Kake was as my 3 year old daughter put's it... "Yum Yum Yummy Yum Yum!!!!"

It has become my first definite, for sure, with out a doubt, permanent rotation tobacco. There are some blends that are very close to making my permanent rotation, but I haven't quite decided on them yet. But as far as my Va/Per; Anniversary Kake is it.

Now I just need to decide on a straight Virginia, a Balkan, an English and a couple of mild aromatics.. lol!

The only other Va/Per I want to try now is Three Friar's ( which is supposed to be close to Three Nuns, which was supposed to be C.R. Lewis's goto blend ) and of course Escudo. But being as Anniversary Kake is much cheaper then Escudo, I don't see it winning out.

Thank's again for all the great inputs.

Glad you liked the Anni Kake. As for Three Friars, it is one of my go to blends as well. The burley in it is a great change of pace. It adds some nicotine but the blend as a whole is, IMHO, medium in taste and silky smooth. Give it a shot!

- Tim

I like Anni Kake but find it a bit too sweet for regular consumption. 2015 is more my speed... but I'm very glad you found something you like!

(I have a 3 year old daughter too. Small world.)

I am going to have to try some of the VAPER's recommended in this thread. I have only had the PS bullseye flake, navy flake, and Escudo. As a matter of fact I decided to desginate my new Nording Freehand to VAPER's. I am breaking it in with Escudo right now.
B

Hey Dave I wouldn't mind trying that Night Train you have. I'm still trying to refine my pipe pallete, so I'm trying all the blends I can get my hands on.