• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Vaccum sealing?

other1

Cigarpassaholic. Mmm.. cigarpassahol.
Was having a discussion over lunch with a friend (non cigar smoker). He was discussing how he wanted to get some bottles of wine to age and I mentioned that I have some boxes of cigars I'm aging. He said it must be a lot of trouble keeping a humidor up and asked why I don't just vaccum seal the boxes in a bag?

I feel like this wouldn't work, but I'm not sure why. I guess vaccum sealing would keep the humidity fairly constant. Would this actually work? What aren't I thinking of? Is air exchange important for aging?

The way I see it, unless you use some space age material, you are still going to lose moisture even that it is at a slower rate.

Using one of the newer home vacuum machines I don't think you would experience any moisture loss. However, you do need to have someway for the ammonia to escape as the cigars age. That said, tubed cigars do age well, just take longer. I'm sure that the tubes aren't air tight, so some transfer of air and moisture happens.

I bet that it would make for good mid-term storage, though. Probably could store them for at least 10-18 months before the amonia got to be a problem and not have to check the humidity. Maybe I am completly wrong, there has got to be a couple of experts here that could tell you for sure.

I've never really thought of that. Sounds like a hassle-free way of storing, beside the ammonia part :(

With the use of Climmax Beads, keeping the proper RH in a coolador is so freakin easy, I would not even bother with Vac Sealing. Put the boxes in the Cooler, Throw in some beads that have been charged. In about 6 months you toss in a cube of wet floral foam and let the beads equalize the RH. It can't get any easier and you save the hassles of a Vac.