• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Value of 40 to 100 Year Old Cigars?

Wayno

I was curious about what some older cigars that have been stored for 40 to 100 years in a humidor are worth today? I've read that JJ.Fox Cigar shop in London, England still has a lot of Winston Churchill's stored in their humidor on the premises. What types of money are cigars that have been sitting aging in a humidor for 40-75 or even 100 years worth right now? I was curious about this.

I was curious about what some older cigars that have been stored for 40 to 100 years in a humidor are worth today? I've read that JJ.Fox Cigar shop in London, England still has a lot of Winston Churchill's stored in their humidor on the premises. What types of money are cigars that have been sitting aging in a humidor for 40-75 or even 100 years worth right now? I was curious about this.
their worth is strictly historical, imho! :cool:

Depends on the storage. A couple of years back, most of the Churchill collection that was stored in various caves in the UK was auctioned off at Christie's. The prices were generally high because of the historical significance of the items. Those that had no markings to determine that they were part of the collection though, went for a lower dollar amount. I had a couple RyJ petite coronas that came from the collection. I think I still have them. They were not as old as some of the other stuff, but the condition was perfect. I've had some Monte #1s from the early 50's that were in the top 5 all time best cigars I've smoked. If the provenance shows them having been bought at the store they are being stored at, chances are that they are in great condition, even 50+ year old smokes. Whether or not they will smoke well is a different story, as not all blends are equal as far as aging goes. These type of things are not the kind of purchases to make without inspecting the items beforehand, though. IMO

I never knew that cigars were stored in caves all thruout England (UK). How many of these particular cigars from the 1950's were you able to purchase and how much did you pay for them? Have you smoked any of them? If so, did they still have a good falvor and taste to them? I always thought that a really good cigar that's stored properly for many many years will "ferment" really nicely and that all the complex flavors will start to come out of it when this same cigar is smoked 50 and 75 years later. Is this true? Or do the flavors go away after the cigar ferments for over 50 and 75+ years? This is a mystery to me.

By caves I mean humidors...much like when one refers to a wine cellar as a cave. All of the major stores in the UK as well as other places around teh world, have storage areas. JJ Fox, Dunhill, Davidoff, etc. all have stored cigars for collectors over the years. I was given these Churchill collection cigars by a friend in the UK, who bought a few lots at the auction. He did not say what the price was.

Here's an excerpt from an article that included some talk of this auction.

"Recent auctions at Christies are testament to the fact that many consider aged and pre-embargo cigars to be worthwhile and solid investment. No one can argue that some of the prices being paid at these auctions are truly astounding. During the Christie's auction on October 5th in London record prices were being paid, including one lot of cigars that sold for more than USD 1,600.00 a piece. The more than 400 boxes of cigars drew more than USD 833,000.00 in bids with the bulk of the buying being done by collectors in Hong Kong and the United States. One of the highlights of the auction was the sale of 43 boxes of smokes from Lady Mary Soames, the daughter of British hero Sir Winston Churchill. Bidders paid just over $219,000 for the cigars, from corona-sized, four-decades-old Don Candido Dunhill Seleccion Suprema No. 50s (USD2, 940.00 for a cabinet of 50) to robusto-shaped Dunhill Cabinettas (USD9, 075.00 for a cabinet of 25) made in 1980."

As far as flavor, I've had 90 year old cigars that were basically liie smoking air and 50+ year old ones that were divine. It's all in the particular cigars blend and how it was stored.