• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Very disappointed

Shamrocker

Sheik Yerbouti
It looked like a nice night to sit on the patio and light up a cigar. I didn't feel like sitting out with a churchill so I took something on the small side. After removing the rice paper wrap I noticed there were a few water spots on the slightly rough wrapper. My Xikar clipped the cap smoothly, and I noticed something white stuck in the filler. I though it might have been part of a leaf stem, but I was too curious so I grabbed some tweezers and plucked it out. It was a small piece of heavy paper... a little lighter weight than card stock. Weird. Pre light draw was tight. Too tight. I don't have a poker tool so I improvised with a partially unfolded paper clip. The draw loosened up enough for me so I lit it. The wrapper tasted.... a little weird, almost sour. Draw was still a little tight, but the strange thing was the cigar in general tasted unlike anything I'd smoked before. Sour, herbal, and completely unpleasant. I'd liken it to Buckley's cough syrup with a side of white vinegar. Ugh... I had to go inside and eat something with enough flavour to mask the aftertaste.

Put them down for a year or two. They may just need time. I've seen many magical transformations! :)

These things are so cheap that it makes you wonder if the quality is off because of it. These can be hit or miss for me. I have to say though, I smoked a Fonseca Cosacos from 1998 that was gifted to me, and I can honestly say, it was the best cigar I've ever smoked. It sounds like yours was a little too "young" and needed some down time before smoking.

The age hadn't occurred to me since I've had this one in my humidor since last May when the wife and I took a trip to Vancouver. It was a single stick purchase so unfortunately I don't have any more from the same box to compare to. Considering the price I paid for it there, I could have spent a dollar or two more and had any regular Tat/Illusione/Fuente release (from the US of course) that would have even on a bad day been better than this Fonseca. I won't rule them out, but I won't be rushing to buy any right away.

The age hadn't occurred to me since I've had this one in my humidor since last May when the wife and I took a trip to Vancouver. It was a single stick purchase so unfortunately I don't have any more from the same box to compare to. Considering the price I paid for it there, I could have spent a dollar or two more and had any regular Tat/Illusione/Fuente release (from the US of course) that would have even on a bad day been better than this Fonseca. I won't rule them out, but I won't be rushing to buy any right away.
Well, comparing Cuban Fonseca and Tats is definitely and apples and oranges deal. Fonsecas are one of the milder Cubans and Tats are one of the full flavored NCs. But that being said, a well aged Fonseca is an enjoyable mild Cuban. For me, they make a good breakfast cigar. One way Cubans are different than NCs is that Cubans respond to aging to a greater degree. But it does sound like you might prefer a good NC to a CC at this point.

Well, comparing Cuban Fonseca and Tats is definitely and apples and oranges deal. Fonsecas are one of the milder Cubans and Tats are one of the full flavored NCs. But that being said, a well aged Fonseca is an enjoyable mild Cuban. For me, they make a good breakfast cigar. One way Cubans are different than NCs is that Cubans respond to aging to a greater degree. But it does sound like you might prefer a good NC to a CC at this point.

I was thinking more along the lines of dollars spent, not on flavour profile. IIRC that Fonseca was close to $10 CAD at the B&M I visited. Had I spent that amount with one of the vendors here, I could have gotten much more bang for the buck.

My personal view with the CC Fonseca marca is that the No. 1 and the Cosacos are really the only vitolas that are worth my time in this marca. The others are always iffy...