• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Vice

SmokeHustler

I got into a discussion with an associate (he neither smokes nor drinks and is apparently as straight arrow as a saint) today about my apparently worldly ways. This got me thinking. I have a lot of vices. I drink. I smoke. I drive cars really fast. I love alot of women, but does that make me a horrible (yes this phrase actually came up in our convo) person? ....Yes....yes it does, but that's not the point. The point I'm getting at is that, after reflecting on my habits and my counterparts apparent lack of them, I have come to a realization. I can't relate to anyone who doesn't have at least 1 or 2 vices. Anybody else get this problem?

......This got me thinking. I have a lot of vices. I drink. I smoke. I drive cars really fast. I love alot of women, but does that make me a horrible (yes this phrase actually came up in our convo) person? ....Yes....yes it does, but that's not the point.......
I'm going to disagree. What every one of these activities has in common is increased risk. Now, if you had a wife and five kids and took up skydiving, that may make you a 'bad' person because of the risk of leaving them without a husband / father. But, none of these activities are "bad" by themself unless they endanger other people. As in, drinking and driving too fast at the same time (that's stupid, actually).

Life is a journey, not a destinatioin. Have fun and live to the fullest. As The Black Clould pointed out, none of us are getting out of this alive.... :cool:

JMHO - B.B.S.

Most people I've met who claim to be saints are dirty low-down sinners who hide their vices.

I'd rather be honest with myself and those around me then pretend to be perfect.

No one, on their death beds, ever wished they'd eaten less ice cream, smoked cheaper cigars, taken fewer naps, or loved less people. :)

~Boar

I have a lot of vices. I drink. I smoke. I drive cars really fast. I love alot of women, but does that make me a horrible (yes this phrase actually came up in our convo) person?

Those are not Vices, they are habits and hobbies......

Tim

Can't make it quote from the iPad

Those don't make you a bad person; however, not showing up to herf with BOTL's does (joking). I saw a shirt at the gun show today "Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent." However, if your associate is so vice free for religious reason he may view the results of the "life test" as permanent. When I went to church this was a constant theme.etf: fat fingers on the shift key

I do know what you are saying. There are people like that that I know, I just don't get into conversations with them. As a matter of fact I don't hang out with them at all.

I know a couple guys who are very suspicious of people who don't drink.

The world is a dangerous place. The only way to protect yourself completely is to live in a bubble. The trick is moderation. Enjoy life, but don't over do it. A "bad" person knowingly makes decisions that negatively effect him as well as those around him. A horrible person harms those he love for personal gain.

I'm going to disagree. What every one of these activities has in common is increased risk. Now, if you had a wife and five kids and took up skydiving, that may make you a 'bad' person because of the risk of leaving them without a husband / father. But, none of these activities are "bad" by themself unless they endanger other people. As in, drinking and driving too fast at the same time (that's stupid, actually).

I mostly agree with you on this one.

There is nothing wrong with living a life full of excitement. In fact, I think that you could say that there IS something wrong with living a life that is devoid of excitement. Everyone has to find their own path as to what makes them happy. Not everyone likes to have risk in their lives. There is nothing wrong with taking that approach. The prudent friend about which this post was written has his way of doing things...not my way of doing things but, hey, apparently it works for him.

I could die by falling off of a cliff while hiking.
I could die by being eaten by a bear or a wolf while fly fishing.
I could die by having a zip line break while I am riding it.
I could die by burning alive from running through fire at the Warrior Dash. OR
I could die by falling off of my couch.

My history professor says that if he reaches 70, he's taking up smoking, heroin and bacon. :D

Vices have more to do with perception. If you feel smoking cigars, having sex out of wedlock, or having an occasional drink are wicked, that's one thing. And for you and more's the pity, they MAY be. But if you simply enjoy these gifts on occasion then that's a horse of a different color.

"It has been my experience that people with no vices have very few virtues."

Who you going to believe. A. Lincoln or your friend?

Doc.

I don't consider my pastimes vices. To me, they are a necessary form of relaxation. I find that when people see how much I enjoy my cigars and libation, quite often, they're ready to try it. I get to a better place when I indulge......and I like it there!!!!! ;)

I have an old Vice. Im pretty sure it is from the 70s when they used real iron to make em. It still works good, holds flat bar alright anyway.
As far as VICES go... heh heh heh. Oh yeah baby.

That's ripe. He needs to learn to mind his own business. A lot of folks seem to have no problem intruding into other peoples lives
in many forms. Any person who has the audacity to presume they can judge you, or think they are better than you, etc. has
much bigger problems. There is the ego, neurosis, etc. which causes a person to interfere with an individual freedoms, TO ANY DEGREE. Sometimes, you just have to tell somone to mind their own business. Sometimes, quite forceful.

I have a vice that is made by Irwin, I got it from Home Depot. I use it primarily to hold parts when I work on my cars, or when I change the grips on my golf clubs.

I don't see your hobbies as vices though, they are things that you enjoy. They don't harm anyone or cause you to be a bad person.

It's difficult to hold on to your sanity without a good vice.