• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Villiger 1888

slcraiders

Villiger 1888 Long Filler

This is a fairly new release from the Villiger Company. I never really cared for their Export series or others I have tried from this Swiss line. My wife picked this up with a few other smokes for me as an Easter gift. It looked interesting so I decided to fire it up last night while BBQ'ing.

Size: Robusto (approx 5" L x 52 ring gauge)
Wrapper: Ecuador
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Dominican

Very nicely constructed cigar packed (but not overpacked) with plenty of tobacco. The burn on this remained pretty straight throughout and the ash was a nice light gray in color. The burn and draw were exceptional. The only drawback here was the wrapper was extremely thin and split on me early on. By the time I finished the cigar, the wrapper had split in three places and I had to hold it in place to the binder as I smoked.

The first half of the cigar verged on full strength (I would say Med-Full) with a very nice spice to it. Shocking considering the Dominican "innards". As I entered the second half, the spice faded away into a more leathery flavor that was extremely creamy. This part of the cigar would fall more into the mild-med flavor profile. Body wise, definitely medium throughout.

This would make a great morning cigar and I was surprised overall at the experience this smoke provided. I would give this cigar a solid B rating, but would not spend the approx. $7-8 per stick (9.25 locally) to get more.

Right on.

Gutsy move to try a cigar most of us never heard of.
Too bad the price point was too high, otherwise I might have to try one.

Thanks for the review.

I have seen ads for them on ECCJ, but did not think they were available in the US.

I ordered a 5 pack of the short robustos yesterday after reading the high praise in the last ECCJ, now I'm REALLY looking forward to them after reading your review.