• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Vinotemp 28 TEDS

Nickc

Hey Everyone,

I picked up a 28 bottle vino yesterday, and I have a few questions. I did read through the sections for wine coolidors, but am wanting some opinions on some things.

Has anyone had any real problems with condensation in this unit? How did they control it and what steps and materials did you use to do so. I am thinking of ordering some custom trays for the bottom and then putting boxes on top.

Here is what i am using do you think I should change anything.

Going to use 2 x 1/2 lb bags of Heartfealt Beads one on the top and one on the bottom.
1 Oust Fan on the top pointing out to circulate air.
1 Double Shelf from Chasidor (Spanish Cedar)
3 Single Shelves from Chasidor (Spanish Cedar)

I know that Vino takes pride in their poduct and these systems are meant to help hold humidity as corks need to stay humid. Any suggestions comments etc would be appreciated.

In my opionion, I would save money on the Heartfelt Beads and run Kitty Litter. I use Exquisicat from Pets Mart. Just take some litter in a bowl and spray it with distilled water till its translucent, then mix equal part of dry litter. Mix and fill up 2 fish take filter bags ($2.99). One for the top and bottom of the Vino. My Vino has been locked at 70/70 all winter and I havent touched it at all. Heartfelt Beads and Silicon Kitty Litter are the same thing. I bet your LOL right now. Do some research and you will not be disapointed. Litter is 5 times cheaper for 10 times more, so if you ever want to freshin up the litter go for it, its dirt cheap. That should should pay for aprox. 2 of your drawers from Chasidor....

Hope this helps

Jay

In my opionion, I would save money on the Heartfelt Beads and run Kitty Litter. I use Exquisicat from Pets Mart. Just take some litter in a bowl and spray it with distilled water till its translucent, then mix equal part of dry litter. Mix and fill up 2 fish take filter bags ($2.99). One for the top and bottom of the Vino. My Vino has been locked at 70/70 all winter and I havent touched it at all. Heartfelt Beads and Silicon Kitty Litter are the same thing. I bet your LOL right now. Do some research and you will not be disapointed. Litter is 5 times cheaper for 10 times more, so if you ever want to freshin up the litter go for it, its dirt cheap. That should should pay for aprox. 2 of your drawers from Chasidor....

Hope this helps

Jay

There's nothing wrong with this, but the availability of the Exquisicat without the blue pearls in it is a little tough for all areas. It was almost nonexistant in areas for a good while. Do some research on Allofus123 and you'll see how he outlined how to condition the kitty litter properly so you're not half and half. I did this and had good results. Ended up with a couple pounds of Heartfelt in the end though.

I'm running heartfelt in mine due to no "litter pearls" or the like being available in my area. I'm more than satisfied with heartfelt beads. Use whatever works for you.

No condensation problems in mine due to it being in our basement. I unplug it during the winter months. The internal fan runs 24/7 when it is plugged in whether it is cooling or not. Yeah, it would probably be good to have an oust fan or PC fan running just for good circulation but so far, no problems.

Overall, it's been a wonderful investment. Found at Target for $100 on clearance. (Thanks, honey!)

If the RH drops in the winter a little bit (as it tends to do when the temp drops into the mid-50's down there.) I just put a shallow pan on the bottom of distilled water for a day or two. That brings the RH right back up to 65%.

I put a piece of gaffers tape over the drain hole in the bottom. Again, I've never had condesation puddle in the bottom yet, but that could be due to living in an old farmhouse with a cold basement.

Good luck with yours. I'm sure it will work out great.

Gonna check out the Exquisicat. I plan on getting a larger cooler and if this works just as well as the expensive stuff, awesome :cool:

There's nothing wrong with this, but the availability of the Exquisicat without the blue pearls in it is a little tough for all areas. It was almost nonexistant in areas for a good while. Do some research on Allofus123 and you'll see how he outlined how to condition the kitty litter properly so you're not half and half. I did this and had good results. Ended up with a couple pounds of Heartfelt in the end though.
[/quote]

Whats with the blue pearls? They are the same silicon, just colored in the non sented litter. I use the Exquisicat with the blue pearls and there is no sent or difference.

Any litter will work, as long is it is unsented and silicon...

exquisicat-crystals-cat-l.jpg

Alrdy ordered my beads.. have my oust fan, got my vino for 100 bucks and am ordering my draws this week. I am making a smoking room in my house and going antique shopping when I get from nicaragua. Thanks all for the info and help. I appreciate it.

Hey Everyone,

I picked up a 28 bottle vino yesterday, and I have a few questions. I did read through the sections for wine coolidors, but am wanting some opinions on some things.

Has anyone had any real problems with condensation in this unit? How did they control it and what steps and materials did you use to do so. I am thinking of ordering some custom trays for the bottom and then putting boxes on top.

Here is what i am using do you think I should change anything.

Going to use 2 x 1/2 lb bags of Heartfealt Beads one on the top and one on the bottom.
1 Oust Fan on the top pointing out to circulate air.
1 Double Shelf from Chasidor (Spanish Cedar)
3 Single Shelves from Chasidor (Spanish Cedar)

I know that Vino takes pride in their poduct and these systems are meant to help hold humidity as corks need to stay humid. Any suggestions comments etc would be appreciated.

I don't have a Vinotemp, but I do have a GE compressor based model. I haven't had any problems with condensation yet, but my plan was to fill some pantyhose or a mesh bag with some Heartfelt beads and lay that in the small recessed trough that leads to the drain hole if I noticed any problems. I haven't plugged the drain hole yet, since it's really really small, and the RH holds at a very steady 65%. Ain't broke, not gonna fix it. I've also made sure no boxes directly touch any of the interior surfaces. Might be a little overkill, but I'd hate to lose a box to some unnoticed condensation.

Whats with the blue pearls? They are the same silicon, just colored in the non sented litter. I use the Exquisicat with the blue pearls and there is no sent or difference.

Any litter will work, as long is it is unsented and silicon...

Read this

You're correct. As long as it's unscented and silicon, you can use any litter, but that basically takes it down to Exquisicat. This should explain a portion of the reasoning behind not using the colored pearls....

Kenny, that's 200 C which converts to 392 F.

I've resent the article to you but here's the excerpt regarding drying the beads for general consumption.

METHODS FOR RECONDITIONING SILICA GEL said:
1. CONDITIONING SILICA GEL OUTSIDE THE EXHIBIT CASE

REMOVING MOISTURE

The most efficient method of removing moisture is with heat. Although silica gel has a very high melting temperature (16000 C), it will lose its chemically bound water and hygroscopic properties if heated above 300° C. In addition, there is a new class of indicator gels, incorporating organic dyes that are heat sensitive and their color indicating dye will be effected above 125-150° C (Goldberg and Weintraub 2001). Therefore, it is not recommended that indicating silica gel be heated above 120° C and regular gel be heated above 200° C. The principle impact of a lower heat of regeneration is that a longer time is required to dry the gel and there is less potential for the degradation of silica gel properties.
In a conventional oven, the time of regeneration varies from minutes to hours, depending on temperature and the thickness of the gel. Although silica gel can be dried in a microwave oven, it is difficult to determine the temperature inside the gel. Also, since metal cannot be used in a microwave oven, only glass, ceramic or microwave safe plastic with a high melting temperature should be used to hold the gel, since the individual beads can become very hot.

This was part of quite a bit of discussion and research a few years back. Just because you've yet to have a problem, doesn't mean you won't. These are tried and true procedures so understand the reasoning behind my stance compared to someone that has just come in and is educating us on a subject that has been discussed and researched many times over the 4 years I've been here.

I think you will end up needing more beads. I started with 1.5 lbs. in my Vinotemp (which broke down after a year, bought another brand), and ended up kicking it up to 2 lbs. of beads. The RH is more stable throughout the unit now.

If you are in Mass. you shouldn't have a condensation problem, I think people running these in extremely hot climates run into that (Nevada, Arizona, etc.). I haven't had one drop of condensation in any Wine-o-door, I'm in PA.

I ran oust fans for a bit, but they did virtually nothing, except bleed me dry on replacing the batteries all the time. You really don't need them.

Good luck with it, you will be extremely glad you went the Wine-o-door route.. trust me! Best decision I ever made with this hobby.

I keep mine in my basement.. Same size, with no condensation. I have over 2lbs of beads, separated into bags. Each drawer has its own bag, I have 2 trays on the bottom with a chinese food container with beads.. I have not needed a fan. Im running @ 65% at 65degrees. My only issue is I started to drop humidity, I rubbed speed wax for my snowboard on the door seal and now its fine.

I ended up ordering 2 lbs of beads for my vino. I put setting this up till after my trip in April. Once I am back I am gonna get this thing up and running. Thanks again for everyone's opinions and help I appreciate it!!!

Nickc

VT28TEDS... the best investment I ever made for my cigars. Period!

I use 1/2# of beads on the top, and 1/2# on the bottom in very shallow trays to
maximize surface area.
I also have 2oz. tubes in each double high drawer. (I have 2 of chasden's, too)
Total beads about 1.25#.

Never a problem with humidity or condensation. I put duct tape over the drain hole,
and unplug it in winter. It runs quiet in summer, as it sits next to my bed as an end table.
I bought an Oust fan, but never used it. No need, so far.

You're gonna love your unit. Enjoy!

Chemyst :cool: