• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Vinotemp question

investandprosper

I apologize if this is a stupid question.

I am conjuring up ideas of convincing my wife to not kill me for buying a Vinotemp. I recently purchased my first humidor (100 count), and I am quickly discovering that getting a Vinotemp would be a wise investment.

So, here are the questions: Can you store wine bottles as well as cigars without damaging the cigars? Would it be harder to control the RH?

My wife has recently become a fan of Cabernet Sauvignon. If safely keeping wine bottles in the Vino is possible, you can see how it would help my case :laugh:

Thanks for your input!

Edited for great grammar justice. :sign:

I was wondering the same thing since i just bought an edgestar wine cooler .... the Vinotemps are quite pricey now. I think it comes down to the proper temperature to store the wine since you want the cigars in the 65 to 70 f the wine, I believe for optimal storing, should be at a cooler temperature. Whites should be stored even colder to be serving ready. You can look into the dual zone refrigerators since you can keep cigars on the bottom and a few bottles up top. Also not sure how lower temps will affect humidity I would look into some cedar lining for the fridge if you go that route.

Can anyone verify this im kinda new at this also.

I&P - that's how I pitched the idea to my wife. The top half is bottles, the bottom half is cigars. I keep the temp in the 65-67 range. Is it optimum for the wines? I don't know. I do know it's a lot better than just leaving them out in my apartment during the summer. As far as the humidity goes, I loaded it up with beads, and never have a problem. I keep a digital hygrometer in a spot I can easily see when I turn the light on, and check from time to time. I just added water to the beads yesterday, and I can't remember the last time I had to.

Wine can easily be stored at 65 degrees farenheit, with no ill effects. That goes for both red and white wines. However, you may need to chill your whites a bit in the fridge before drinking. Red served at 65 is perfect IMHO. For cigars 65 is perfectly fine as well...they key is not so much the temperature at this range, it is more the humidity.

The one caveat to storing your wine and cigars together in the same fridge is that you must be careful of leakage. We've pretty much all had an experience where the cork did not seal properly and wine leaks. This should not be a problem if you montior your stash regularly, but you don't want to neglect it. Wine can flavor your cigars over time. I'm sure you don't want that. At least I hope not.

I'm sure there would be no problem, until you have to explain to her the reason her bottles are no longer in the vinotemp because your cigar stash has grown so much! :whistling:

... I would look into some cedar lining for the fridge if you go that route.
Can anyone verify this im kinda new at this also.
I personally think lining the fridge with cedar is overkill and unneccessary. I suggest just keeping the smokes in boxes, humidors or cedar trays inside the Vinotemp.
I don't know what temps are suitable for wines, but maybe you can convince the old lady to buy you one for your cigars if you'll buy her one for her wine.
The Vinotemp is, by far, the best cigar related purchase I've made.

My Vino comes tomorrow. She doesn't know yet :whistling:

It's just the Vino 18, so it shouldn't cause a ruckus. It will look so nice in the office, honey! lol

You're a man... buy what you want if she has a problem then that will be for her to negotiate with herself.

.......... says the man who's never been married.... haha!

Congrats, I have since changed my mind on lining with cedar and will be purchasing some custom shelving for the fridge someone else referenced on this forum. PM sent with about them.

Red wines seem to age best around 55 degrees. White wines and Ports don’t age much at all, so don’t waste the space for them. Some people age theirs at higher temps and they seem fine. I would stick with 63-65 so you can age both your wine and Cigars. Some Cab Suavs can age up to 20 years. Most recommend at least 4 years, but that just opinions.

Lining it with Cedar won’t change anything about the wine. Probably overkill if you have enough beads. But if you like the cedar taste in your cigars, not a bad idea. Personally, over time, I would line mine as well. Why not if you got the extra time and money?

I would recommend keeping your cigars above the wine, simply if a rack falls or you miss handle a bottle, you won’t want them falling on your smokes. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Happy smokin bro,

- Forge

Wine can flavor your cigars over time. I'm sure you don't want that. At least I hope not.

Please explain the process in which this occurs, as I have never heard of this before.

Wine can flavor your cigars over time. I'm sure you don't want that. At least I hope not.

Please explain the process in which this occurs, as I have never heard of this before.

I believe he meant in the chance of a leak. I would guess that even if the wine does not spill directly on the cigars, the aromatics of the wine trapped in the vinotemp might impart some flavor if left unattended for an extended period of time.

Souldog...not sure if you have ever had a wine bottle that leaks because the seal went bad. I've had cork issues like this before in my wine cooler. The wine that drips out from under the foil and lands in your wine cooler will produce an aroma. In my experience it is stronger with reds than whites. If you are aging cigars in that wineador along with aging wine, you may not be prone to checking it very often. The aroma from the wine can permeate your cigars. It would be like placing a shot glass of wine, bourbon or rum in your desktop humidor or tuppedor with a cigar. Over a period of time the aroma/vapors coming off the alcohol will infuse your cigar. It's actually a pretty neat experiment if you want to try and infuse a cigar with your choice of liquor. Just leave the container untouched/unopended for a month and voila...you have an infused cigar.

I believe he meant in the chance of a leak. I would guess that even if the wine does not spill directly on the cigars, the aromatics of the wine trapped in the vinotemp might impart some flavor if left unattended for an extended period of time.

Exactly...

Ah, I misread the part in your post about the wine leaking. Your follow-up post makes more sense. Thank you! :thumbs:

Ah, I misread the part in your post about the wine leaking. Your follow-up post makes more sense. Thank you!
thumbs-up.gif

No problem...