• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Vinotemp Thermoelectric Humidor

Really not much to seasoning a vino. If you have this particular one and you intend to use the drawer that came with it, I would say little to none as far as seasoning goes. I only say this because that drawer (at least the one I received) is either not spanish cedar or its spanish cedar that's been varnished over. I made my own out of real spanish cedar. Since the real stuff can act to soak up some of that humidity, I suppose some seasoning may be helpful, but even then I think its minimal at best. I spent more time trying to rid the unit of the plasticy smell than anything else. Once I was happy with that, I inserted the charged beads, and I think I left a small dish of distilled in it for about a day or so. Removed the dish, humidity and temp still good....inserted sticks. All done. The door on mine seems to seal very well, so very rarely do I have to do anything with respect to the beads.

I do suggest ditching that drawer and making a real one however.
The least they could have done was provide a decent tray made out of spanish cedar. The one I have is like yours, some kind of coating on it and I'm not so sure it's spanish cedar to start with. Would you mind sending me the measurements on the tray? I am going to try and find one online and send it home. I would really appreciate it.

Rick, unfortunately I don't have any exact measurements right now, but I can measure it out and post it up later this week. It really is a custom job though. I wasn't able to locate anything online I thought would work, so I just bought the cedar and with the help of my father, we just made a duplicate. Well pretty much. I removed the fixed divider to make it adjustable, and ended up using a little thicker wood...on the bottom or sides, I don't recall which now, because I didn't realize we had two thickness's when I bought the wood.

No problem. I am storing my cigars in a Rubbermaid container right now while my humi is seasoning. I do have a problem though. If the lid is on all the way around it holds at 69rh and around 70 degrees. If I leave a corner up so it can breath my temp goes up and rh goes down. What can I do?

No problem. I am storing my cigars in a Rubbermaid container right now while my humi is seasoning. I do have a problem though. If the lid is on all the way around it holds at 69rh and around 70 degrees. If I leave a corner up so it can breath my temp goes up and rh goes down. What can I do?

Why would you want it to "breathe"? 69 and 70 isn't that bad, I would probably try to get it down to around 65 rh and 70 and/or lower the temp some. 70/70 if not in a climate controlled area could promote mold if the temp spikes once in awhile.

Oh wait, did you say you had 70% beads? If so then thats pretty spot on, don't you think?

I heard condensation could form if it didnt breath. I have been checking it and it has stayed at 66rh and 70 degrees. I feel ok with that for another couple days until their home is ready.

Ahh...well if you are where your location states, this may be true. But if the tupperdore is in a realitively climate controlled area, where the temp isn't constantly rising and falling, it should be fine. At least from my experience, I never had any form, but I kept mine in the basement where it is a cool 64-65F pretty much all the time. I can't keep my desktop or tupperdore upstairs as depending on the time of day, the temp fluxs and I start to obsess about whats happening...lol. With the Vino though, this hasn't really been an issue. Sits right on the counter in the kitchen and when working correctly (I had an issue with the circuit board on it) it sits at a nice comfy 66F all the time.

I closed the lid all the way and it's holding at 70 degrees and 66-68rh so I guess I cant ask for much more than that from a Rubbermaid humi. My real one I bought should be ready to go in another couple days. I'm going to buy another humi and send it to the house and work on it while on R&R next month. The VinoTemp and that one should hold me for a while. Maybe.