• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Vintage 2000 Opus X Robusto

lordlister

You can observe a lot by just watching
Before I start this review, I'd like to begin with a prelude. A while back, I was enjoying a cigar with a certain Cigar Pass member, and we were talking Opus. I told him that I didn't understand the hype. I thought highly of the cigars that I tried, but not highly enough to hoard them and cherish them like many do. I told him that I stumbled on a stash of 6 boxes several years earlier, and picked them up for a song. I held onto them for a year, but sold half of them when I realized that there were better things out there. He urged me to keep what I had left, and told me that they turn into a completely different animal as they age. I was skeptical, and was shy to accept an offer of a ripe and downright elderly specimin. Lo and behold, a package arrives at my house several months later with a few cigars, among them a crusty vintage 2000 Opus X robusto, accompanied by a musical card which sings "That's what friends are for..." (ok so now I'm embelleshing a little).

I stashed the cigar with the rest of my never smoke cigars in my humidor. I thought I'd save it for a special occasion. This cigar has been tempting me ever since. But come on, what kind of special occasion do you need to light something like this up. Since then, I've found a new job, had another child, quite then found another job. The calender today says Friday, and I can't think of a more special occasion to light this beauty up.

med_gallery_3211_658_49999.jpg

med_gallery_3211_658_18880.jpg

I poured myself a tall cold glass of diet Sams Club soda, grabbed my lighter and Xicar, and headed out to the deck. I was surprised at the difficulty of removing the cello, glued to the cigar with the crystalized sweat from the oily wrapper. As the cello broke free, gold specs of plume rained from the cigar and cello onto my fingers and lap. The plume tasted sweet and briny, so good I considered licking the now free cellophane wrapper.The foot smelled like on old leather chair. Scored and lifted the cap (aka "the modified Wilkey"), and prelight draw was absolutely perfect. Taste was again salty and leathery. Toasted the foot, and plumes of thick white smoke billowed luxioursly and with abandon. The first hit was etherial and indescribably complex. Describing the individual components of the flavour would be an injustice. I could taste emotions, and had flashbacks of summer days and walking on the beach in Coney Island with my grandfather as a child. I could taste the sea air, and smell the greasy buttery knishes frying at the packed stalls on the boardwalk. Thick lazy white smoke continued to pour onto my lap and feet. A hint of mint began to build as the cigar progressed, at first peaking through then mingling with the the vapors of my childhood.

gallery_3211_658_24557.jpg

I think this cigar affects the olfactory and gustatory senses like LSD affects the mind, as doors of perception crack open then suck you in like a whirlpool. I never bought into the notion that cigars change flavour as they progress, and this experience solidified this idea. Instead, I believe that any given cigar in and of itself has a unique and distinct character. As the smoke progresses, you get a different perspective as the cigar burns. Much like admiring a statue or work of art from different vantage points. The cigar ends as it started, a symphony much like Schéhérazade by Rimsky-Korsakoff, with all the elements coming together in harmony, the complete picture. And then it's done.

Oh, geez, I might just have to let the two I picked up recently sit around for eight years...

Thanks for sharing the experience!

Now I need a tissue. :sign:

Nice review. I had the same experience not long ago, and had the same opinion about the hype of Opus until that moment.

Nice review. I'm aging a few to see what happens. Oh, and I love Knishes!!!

Don't cigars have a second fermentation period after they are rolled? Smoke em fresh, or wait a couple of years they say.

Maybe this cigar has a longer second fermentation? I know I have been much less wowed by recent Opus Xs, that some with a bit of age to them.

I have never tried an aged Opus but I have the same feelings about them when young. I've had some that were very good, I've had some that were just good, and I've had a couple that were absolute crap.

The last opus I lit up I threw away shortly into the smoke, it was horrible. The rest of the ones I have are going to sit in the humidor for a very long rest and hopefully they turn out well. The only time I buy Opus any more is when it's a pretty good deal at or near MSRP.

There are many other cigars out there that out of the box as soon as they arrive are much better. I find Opus as a whole tend to have a lot of power but the flavors don't come together as well as I would like. They do taste like after they age the power should mellow and the flavors would be much better.

I'm glad you guy's liked the review. I've added a few pictures of the experience. If anything, smoking this cigar, to me, justified those who have the tendancy to hoard Opus.

These are bad cigars... please do not pursue them or smoke them. :)

What a great review! I've got one gifted to me by Jonesy I've been dying to try. Said it was from around 95 I think? Cello is almost as dark as the cigar!

Wonderful review man. Made me want to try to find an older specimen myself. :) Know you are lucky too, as they do not come cheap nor easy it seems!!!

Don

Yea....but did ya like it?

:sign:

Lou

p.s. LL did my boys take care of you on the jar?