• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Vintage Racing at Laguna Seca

wrussell46

Davidoff Sherpa
For you @PaulTra !

AHRMA is the premier vintage/historical motorcycle racing association in the United States and something I've been interested in for a couple of years. After racing Laguna as a MotoAmerica AMA Pro in 2022 I wanted to go back to compete, but without all the stress and fanfare of a National Event. Every year AHRMA usually hosts a race weekend the week after MotoAmerica and this summer my best friend, Richard, convinced me to race it with him.
It's a huge event with about every single motorbike or motorbike variant represented from sidecars to hand shift Indians and Harleys.
Richard and I both have Suzuki's from 2001 that we have restored back to proper race form over the last few years. Mine a 1000 named "Silver Cloud" and his a 750, "Blue Streak."
Long story short, we had a great time, achieved some podium finishes, and apparently I brought back "Formula Stogie" when at the Awards Ceremony on Saturday night I accepted my 3rd place finish with an Avo Classic No.2 hanging from my lips!
They had repaved the track two weeks prior to the weekend and the track was absolutely amazing to ride one. We are going back for 2024, July 18-21 if anyone wants to come cheer us on!

Enjoy :D

IMG_2719.jpeg
IMG_2720.jpeg
IMG_3309.jpeg
IMG_3328.jpegIMG_3405.jpeg

Awesome! 😎
I'll have to see if my GL1800 will lean that far. 😅
When I was an MSF instructor in a former life, we had a guy with a GL1800 and another guy with a Valkyrie bagger (I forget what the name of those were). Every time some grizzled old Sons-of-Anarchy-wannabe or squidly CBGXR-1ZYXX rider said, "There's no way anyone can make that turn!", one of the big-bike instructors would gear up without a word, then go and run the exercise in both directions without ever scraping a peg. I was never that good, but I accepted my guilt-by-association respect. :p

When I was an MSF instructor in a former life, we had a guy with a GL1800 and another guy with a Valkyrie bagger (I forget what the name of those were). Every time some grizzled old Sons-of-Anarchy-wannabe or squidly CBGXR-1ZYXX rider said, "There's no way anyone can make that turn!", one of the big-bike instructors would gear up without a word, then go and run the exercise in both directions without ever scraping a peg. I was never that good, but I accepted my guilt-by-association respect. :p
They are incredibly nimble for their size ... like myself! 😂

There’s always that one older ( I won’t say old) aka more experienced, rider who can ride anything, and ride very well. I’ve hosted, and been too, a couple Events where the Moto Cops come out and setup a cone course for people to ride. They’re incredible! I tried to do it on my race bike, but we build them to not steer so well at slow speeds, thus I failed! It was a fun challenge.

Very cool!

I used to be a first aid corner worker for AMA & FIM races at Laguna Seca. It was a track I always loved, even was lucky enough to drive it a few times.
Dude that is awesome! I was lucky enough to be there in 2019 for the WSBK races…unbelievable watching those guys come through the Corkscrew!

What did you drive on track?

Dude that is awesome! I was lucky enough to be there in 2019 for the WSBK races…unbelievable watching those guys come through the Corkscrew!

What did you drive on track?

I have been to a couple WSBK races there, they were very fun to watch all the way around the track, but the corkscrew was by far the best part.

I had a 98 Integra GSR that I used to do SCCA events with, and drove that on the track. I also did a Skip Barber driving course there and got to do a lap in one of their Vipers.